Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Are extra inconsistent naps okay?

My 17 month old son is on a pretty regular sleep schedule. He goes to bed at 7, wakes around 6, and sleeps for around 2 hours at 12:30. He goes to daycare during the week and they keep a very consistent nap schedule. However, sometimes on the weekends, my husband will decide that our son is looking tired and will put him down for a morning nap. I never know how long this nap will last or how it will affect the rest of the day. Should I put an end to these extra naps and say we need to keep him consistent or do I go with it because our son does go to sleep so maybe he needs this extra rest?

Re: Are extra inconsistent naps okay?

• Options
    Ehhhhhhhh I'm in the camp of if it's only a few hours till noon do something like play outside to perk him back up then wait until lunch to take the real nap. I think it's better to maintain the regular schedule. If your driving around and he passes out oh well, but if your not in the car just change up the activity to keep him alert and active.
  • Options
    Also ... Sounds like he's already getting plenty of rest so I don't think he needs "extra" rest. But every kid is unique sooooooo ... You know your kid best ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, I hate when my DH does that!!!!! ;) Now with my 2nd kid I would say when DH does that (he still does) it's a problem for *me* - not so much the kids. Especially with a 2nd kid who doesn't have a regular nap in any case (a luxury a 1st child can have). And bedtimes... apparently my DH hasn't read the childcare articles that suggest a regular bedtime same on the weekends and he doesn't believe me. If I am sleep-deprived I could strangle him for keeping the kids up (= not helping at the regular bedtime); when I am rested, it's all good! He's a good father and kids are adaptable (more than me apparently).

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I work 3 evenings a week and my DH will let our LO sleep until 6pm some nights if he knows he didn't sleep to long at daycare.  I get that he is tired and moody and he wants him to sleep but sleeping that late messes up his sleep for the night. I'm not home at that time, I don't want to criticize what he does with him because he does do a good job. I just know he puts him down for a nap because he doesnt want to deal with the moodiness.  I get it, but make sure he is up at a more reasonable hour. Waking up from a nap, then dinner, bath, bottle book and bed won't work if he is usually sleeping for the night by 8pm.
  • Options
    I say do whatever your kids needs, when they need it. If your LO is tired, no point in keeping him awake. It's all trial and error and nothing is perfect so do what you think is best.