March 2015 Moms
Options

Baby dislikes formula...

My babygirl is 6 wks old and i exclusively breastfeed, but as of a week ago. We have started and try giving her formula before bed so that I can get a few hours of solid sleep. But she hates the taste of formula. Any other moms experiencing this? Any suggestions on what to do?

Re: Baby dislikes formula...

• Options
    When I started introducing milk at a year old, I had to do 1/4 milk and 3/4 breast milk, then slowly change the ratio. Not sure if you can do that with formula. However, be careful with skipping breastfeeding at night. Some women experience a major decrease in supply when they drop night feedings.
  • Options
    I would try to pump and give that in a bottle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Could you pump an extra feeding during the day and give that for the night time feeding?

Or the idea of mixing them and tapering off the breast milk is a good idea.

Also as a PP mentioned, be careful cutting night time feedings. With my first I cut out one too many feedings and one day I woke up and I had no milk anymore. Gone. Over night. Just something to keep in mind :)
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem. I'm exclusively breastfeeding and tried formula for the first time tonight. She is 6 weeks old. She wouldn't take it. I can't pump. Nothing will come out. My fiancé wants to be able to feed her so badly and have that bond with her. I feel awful. If you find something that works, please let me know. This momma needs an hour to herself lol.
  • Options

I'm having the same problem. I'm exclusively breastfeeding and tried formula for the first time tonight. She is 6 weeks old. She wouldn't take it. I can't pump. Nothing will come out. My fiancé wants to be able to feed her so badly and have that bond with her. I feel awful. If you find something that works, please let me know. This momma needs an hour to herself lol.

I'm curious about your pumping issues! Have you tried a hand pump? One that you manual have to use? I can't really use the automatic electric ones. They stress me out so I end up not getting anything. But the hand ones work great for me! Worth a try? Also,! Make sure you're using the right flange . Too big or too small and it wont stimulate you properly for milk let down
  • Options
    adelems said:

I'm curious about your pumping issues! Have you tried a hand pump? One that you manual have to use? I can't really use the automatic electric ones. They stress me out so I end up not getting anything. But the hand ones work great for me! Worth a try? Also,! Make sure you're using the right flange . Too big or too small and it wont stimulate you properly for milk let down
    Hand expressing works well too! You can watch videos/tutorials on YouTube.
  • Options
    You should be fine cutting down on night feedings as long as it's not suddenly all night. For instance, I always pump during the day so I can get a 4 hour shift of uninterrupted sleep while my hubby cares for LO. She eats like a monster during the day, so my boobs are not in danger of thinking I'm done BFing.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! I only skip one night feeding and my milk supply has been great still :) I have used a manual pump the last two days and my husband has fed her that. I feed her then go to bed while he stays up and feeds her the next feeding. Gives me a solid three to four hours of sleep I'm absolutely loving it. Makes me feel so much better throughout the night feedings and next day. Rest is huge! I stopped the formula, she just hates it and I feel guilty trying to feed her something she dislikes so much.