April 2014 Moms

Food Portions

So I have been having an issue figuring out how much solid food DD should be eating at each meal.  It seems like at least once a week she throws up her dinner while she's still eating, so I keep wondering if I'm feeding her TOO much at once, or too many different things at once?  I'm so confused.  I thought a baby would let you know when they're full by not wanting anymore food and turning/swatting it away with their hands?  But she seems to still pick up the food with her hands and eat, and then BAM, she throws up.  And I know its not an allergy because its stuff she eats all the time and doesn't throw up every time.  The other  night I was giving her homemade soup with pastina and an avocado.  She had about 1 ladle full of soup and almost 1/2 an avocado, and she instantly threw up while eating the avocado.  She does seem to gag often enough when she eats certain solid foods, and then ends up throwing up a tiny bit from gagging sometimes, but I figured the gagging was still normal at this age.  Is it???

At her 12 month check up she was only 19 lbs, 30.5 inches tall so she's not a big girl at all.  So am I overfeeding her? Underfeeding her?  I don't know!  I'm wondering how much (I.e, Tablespoons or Cups) worth of food should she be eating at each meal????  She has about 16oz of milk a day too, so she's not over doing it on milk either.  I feed her things like pasta, rice, bread, mini meatballs, chicken, avocado, fruits.  How much portion of each is recommended at each meal at 12 months old? 

Re: Food Portions

• I don't know the correct answer for this, but I have found with my kids it helps me to portion their food by using kiddie plates. I think if you google "toddler plate" you can find an appropriate size one. Also, sometimes they ask for "seconds" and sometimes they leave a bunch on the plate, but it helps me get a good idea of how much they ate, what they liked, what they didn't, any patterns, etc.
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
  • Mine will eat an eggo-sized waffle, an egg, and a couple wedges of apple or pear/berries for breakfast. She ate a quarter of a pork chop at dinner last night, at least 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes, and 2 spears of asparagus. She's a big eater, but still hasn't reached 18lbs. None of my kids were still gagging at 12 mos, but we started purées at 4 mos and finger foods at 6 mos. She may just have a strong gag reflex. My brother, at age 32, still has a crazy strong gag reflex. He has a hard time at the dentist.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure what to tell you on the throwing up- but the amount you are feeding her doesn't sound like too much. My little girl will eat a lot or a little depending on if she likes it- she could probably eat endless amounts of spaghetti marinara!
    I use a little plate to portion stuff out and she finishes it most times.
  • This is so far out there, but did you BF? My friend has an 11 month old that is having the same problem. He has a tongue tie and she never BF so it went undetected until he was gagging a lot and throwing up. If there is a tongue tie they can't manipulate the food to small enough sizes. They don't have enough teeth to 'chew' so they use their tongue, but the mobility is limited. I am clearly not a Dr, but just food for thought. Hahaha :)