Babies on the Brain

Baby #2??

Hey Moms,

DD will be 3 at the end of the month. I am getting MAJOR baby fever. What helped you decide it was time for baby #2?

TIA

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby #2??

• This is going to vary (obviously) for each person and family. For us, we knew we always wanted at least 2. There was no help needed on that decision. We're currently deciding about a third, though, and for us it's more of a factor of childcare (I don't see myself being a SAHM, but paying for 3 kids in DC is not cheap), housing size (we'll have to put an addition on our home), and really, how our second child's personality is. Our first has been so easy and we were really lucky. Our second has been more of a handful, so I want to be sure I'm ready to add another member to our family onto the mix before/if we try for a third.
  • Thanks jnnfrrose6. DD is a strong willed child so I completely understand about changing things up with another baby. You guys do have a lot more factors than us so good luck!!!!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I always knew I wanted 2. We also are contemplating a 3rd now. My 1st was a real handful and had reflux so I feel he prepared me for anything. DS2 was a breeze (except for colic which didn't last long) and really is the sweetest easiest baby. It is so precious to see DS1 be a big brother and try to parent DS2. He is so proud of him and shows him to everyone at school. You are at the perfect space now to try. We started trying when DS1 was 2 but it took us 3+ years so now they are 5 years apart but it is great that DS1 is so self sufficient now and can help. So with what I know now, try to encourage more self sufficiency like getting drinks/snacks, dressing etc. cause when you are on leave and have a baby latched to you it's hard to cater to your older child. I didn't anticipate the difficulty if balancing my time between them. I feel I have to devote more time to the baby and DS1 gets ignored a lot so try to plan some times with just your oldest here are there so they get good quality time with you too. We usually divide up and switch like daddy watches baby while I play a game with the oldest etc. or during the week, as soon as daddy gets home he's on baby duty. As they get older it gets easier to balance because they can help each other and play together so mommy is not the source if entertainment anymore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker