1st Trimester

Scared after early US

Hi,

I was so excited to go for my first US last week as I had a MC in December. When I went in for my first ultrasound I was 9weeks based of my LMP date, but when I went into the ultrasound they informed me that I was measuring about 7 weeks and they could see everything but the heart beat, they told me that there is a chance that it is just too early but it is more likely to be a missed MC. I have to go back in another week and I am hoping to see a hear beat this time. I have still have as many symptoms and feel pregnant (when I miscarried in December I just knew it was over because I just did not feel pregnant anymore, I am still feeling very positive about this one.

Has anyone else experienced an early US with no heart beat and returned 2 weeks later to find out all is well?

Re: Scared after early US

• A lot of people have asked this question, and a lot of people have had positive outcomes.  Unless you are temping to confirm your ovulation date, it is extremely likely that the gestational age based on your LMP is inaccurate.  I normally ovulate day 19 or 20, but the cycle i got pregnant i ovulated day 32.  Because of that, using my LMP as the start date for my pregnancy would have put me 2.5 weeks ahead of where i actually am.  If i hadn't been temping, the same thing would have happened to me, and i would have been freaked out about it.  But becuse i knew what was going on, i demanded that my doctor reschedule my dating ultrasound for a time when i KNEW i was definitely 8 weeks, so that we would be guaranteed to actually see something if anything was there.

It's entirely possible that this same thing happened to you.  Was the ultrasound transvaginal or abdominal?  Usually they can get a heartbeat on a transvaginal ultrasound at 7 weeks, but not always...depends on baby's positioning.

That having been said, symptoms have nothing to do with whether you had a missed miscarriage or not.  Plenty of women never have symptoms and have healthy pregnancies, plenty of women have symptoms at first that go away and have normal pregnancies, and plenty of women continue to have symptoms even during a missed miscarriage.  While i'm sure it's comforting that you still have symptoms right now, don't freak out if they disappear.  they are meaningless.

• Thank you for that information. Yeah I am certain of the day of LMP but my cycles are between 31 to 34 days each month so I am not certain when I would have conceived.

I am hoping the same thing happened to me, I know the symptoms aren't a definite sign but it is helping me be hopeful. They did an abdominal as well as transvaginal and saw the gestational sac, yolk sac and a fetal pole just no flickering heartbeat.

Thanks again for the info I'll just have to remain calm and stay hopeful until the next ultrasound.