1st Trimester

too much or too little exercise..6 weeks?

so I am 6 weeks pregnant and have been holding out on doing any physical activity until my Prenatal visit 4/30/15.  I am not sure if i should be doing Zumba or not, jogging or walking and I have completely stopped using weights...I am just afraid exercise may jeopardize my pregnancy...lol ( i know it sounds ridiculous)  any advice on what i should be doing?

Re: too much or too little exercise..6 weeks?

• Do whatever it is that you did before you got pregnant. You're pregnant, not broken. Exercise is fine, just listen to your body, stay hydrated, and take breaks when needed.
  • You can do exactly what you did before you were pregnant, with some restriction.  For example, it's not advised to do hot yoga while pregnant, but regular temperature yoga is fine.  After a certain point in your pregnancy (usually around halfway), it gets uncomfortable to lay on your stomach, so there are some exercises that you'd have to avoid at that point.  And you have to be aware that you will likely have to start slowing down a bit and resting more as your heart starts pumping more blood through your body and as your lungs get crowded by the baby.  But you're not broken and exercise won't shake the baby loose.  Unless you have a history of loss or other issues and your doctor specifically tells you to take it easy, you can do everything that your body is used to doing.  Just don't take up any new routines right now, unless they are pregnancy specific (beginner prenatal yoga, for example, is fine to start during pregnancy).

FWIW, pre-pregnancy, i would run about 15-20 miles/week, do two spin classes a week, pilates twice a week, and hot yoga once a week.  I immediately switched over to non-heated yoga.  At about 10 weeks i moved my runs to the elliptical because it became too difficult to actually run (and the impact was causing me to cramp), though many people successfully continue to run throughout pregnancy.  Around 18 weeks i started leaving out the "laying on your stomach" exercises in pilates.  And around 24 weeks i traded in spin classes for more walking/elliptical running because the position on the bike was uncomfortable with my bigger belly.  At 31 weeks, my normal schedule is elliptical or a long walk 3-5 times a week, pilates twice a week, and prenatal yoga once a week.