Baby Names

Girl name - Josephine?

Seeking suggestions for my 2nd child. My sons name is 3 syllables and starts with J. I don't love the idea of both having J names but it's not a deal breaker. Our last name starts with M and is comparable to Miller. I want to name her something with significance and I love the name Josephine, the feminine form of Joseph. I love that name and the significance(Biblical). My H and I both think Josephine is top choice but we aren't for sure. Here is what's on our list:

Important relatives we would like to honor- Jane, Elaine, Suzanne, April, Janine, Aaron, William, John

Others we found interesting - Lilac (fav flower), Willow, Alaina, Azalea

Thanks for any input!

Re: Girl name - Josephine?

•  like the name Josephine Elaine,  also like suzanne but would change it to Suzannah.  Maybe Suzannah Jane
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I love love love Josephine! I don't think that, I , personally would pair it up with a sibling that starts with a J and is 3 syllables.
  • Loading the player...
  • We love the name Josephine and we're using it for baby #4. Josephine Mae (middle name after dhs grandma) our other kids are Nicholas James, Margaret Joanna (Maggie Jo) and Eleanor Rose (Nora Rose). We plan on calling her Josie Mae.

Other names we considered: Penelope, Natalie Joy, Abigail, Julia, Caroline, Molly, Cecelia, Georgia, Eliza, Leigh, Audrey and Louise/Louisa
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Josephine was our #2 baby name choice (a family name was first choice). We ended up using it for a MN. If we had used it for a first name, here are some MNs we tossed around:

Josephine....
    Alexandra
    Claire
    Pearl
    Faith
    Violet

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• My kids' names both start with T and are both 3 syllables.  I was right where you were with the whole "not ideal but not a deal breaker either."  We went for it, and it's really been no biggie.

As long as the interior sounds of the two J names are pretty different, I think you're okay.

For instance:  Jonathan & Josephine = a little close, but I wouldn't side-eye it.  Josiah & Josephine = similar enough to be weird.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I love Josephine, but not with another child whose name starts with a J and is 3 syllables. Way too matchy and approaching Duggar status crazy.

I love Janine. It's not a name you hear every day.

Janine Suzanne would be lovely and honor (I guess, could be the name of your relative exactly) two people at once. I also like Janine Azalea.

Other suggestions

Abigail
    Ada
    Chloe
    Deborah
    Esther
    Eve
    Lilith
    Leah
    Judith
    Lydia
    Naomi
    Rachel
    Rebecca
    Ruth
    Sarah
    Tabitha

• LNic5LNic5 member
    I agree with pp Josephine Elaine is great!!!
  • We love the name Josephine and we're using it for baby #4. Josephine Mae (middle name after dhs grandma) our other kids are Nicholas James, Margaret Joanna (Maggie Jo) and Eleanor Rose (Nora Rose). We plan on calling her Josie Mae.

Other names we considered: Penelope, Natalie Joy, Abigail, Julia, Caroline, Molly, Cecelia, Georgia, Eliza, Leigh, Audrey and Louise/Louisa

Your girl name list looks a lot like ours! We ended up with Margaret Josephine, NN Maggie Jo. We also considered Joanna, Eleanor, Josephine (NN Josie), Caroline, Abigail.....

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• I love Josephine tons. But not with another 3 syllable j name. Too matchy.

I love Jane of your choices. Or Josie.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I would like to suggest, Valentina, Beatrice, Charlene, Estella, Pauline, Genevieve, Cecilia
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I love Josephine!
  • Thank you for the feedback everyone. Josephine Elaine aka Josie is a strong contender. I read the feedback to my husband and he also appreciated the input. We asked my son for a suggestion and he sd "Elmo". We are going to think over some of the other suggestions as well, not including Elmo of course.
  • trudytudy said:

Seeking suggestions for my 2nd child. My sons name is 3 syllables and starts with J. I don't love the idea of both having J names but it's not a deal breaker. Our last name starts with M and is comparable to Miller. I want to name her something with significance and I love the name Josephine, the feminine form of Joseph. I love that name and the significance(Biblical). My H and I both think Josephine is top choice but we aren't for sure. Here is what's on our list:

Important relatives we would like to honor- Jane, Elaine, Suzanne, April, Janine, Aaron, William, John

Others we found interesting - Lilac (fav flower), Willow, Alaina, Azalea

Thanks for any input!

OP here... Baby girl is due in the next few weeks and we are stuck. We still like Josephine and then my H suggested Lilith. I think it sounds really good with our family. I had some concerns with the meaning of the name but I consider the associations to be mythology and not that big of a factor. Any input? I think both names are great but here are my concerns....

Lilith- not a very nice meaning

Josephine - our son has a J name and 3 syllables, not that they are that matchy, but still..

I like nicknames for both names but mostly plan to use the full name.

• @trudytudy can you tell us what his name is? It might help with input on using Josephine or saying no, Lilith is better.
    I wouldn't personally worry about the meaning behind a name if you really like it. I'm not a fan of Lilith though. I like Lilian so much better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How does it sound .... Julian and Josephine? Orr Julian and Lilith? I think Lilian is pretty but seeing it next to my sons name, I think it's a no go.
  • Josephine is fantastic!
  • trudytudy said:

How does it sound .... Julian and Josephine? Orr Julian and Lilith? I think Lilian is pretty but seeing it next to my sons name, I think it's a no go.

Oh yes, knowing his name now, Lilian doesn't work!
    I think Julian and Josephine sound nice together. I just don't personally like the flow/sound of Lilith.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Josephine sounds much better than Lilith. And is not Duggar-ish at all! You'd need to have at least 15 more kids for that!
  • Love Josephine. I don't mind the alliteration when it is such a fantastic name. Josephine April would be lovely.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• I think the sibset Julian and Lilith is more matchy than Julian and Josephine. Too many "li" sounds.

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015