Baby Names

Adaline/Adeline

wcm2bwcm2b member
edited April 2015 in Baby Names
We went to the movies tonight and there was a preview for a new movie about a girl named Adaline. I thought it was pretty and striking and may add it to my short list. What do people think?

Re: Adaline/Adeline

• Adeline..like it!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

imageimage

• I like it a lot. Would probably spell it Adeline, but have no idea if one is more correct than the other.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Adeline. It's extremely popular right now...
  • Adeline and anything Addy or baby is so yawn worthy right now.

• Adeline, and I will personally always love it, ridiculously popular or not.

I'm also super happy you didn't throw a random "y" in there.
  • That would be my little girl's name except I can't stand the nickname Addy. But I adore that name! It may be super popular but it's so classy and elegant!
  • ==N====N== member
    It's nms but if you do use it, spell it Adeline.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • wcm2bwcm2b member
    Thanks for the tips about traditional spelling! Funnily enough the movie was using Adaline. I prefer the other way though too :)
  • It's pretty but very popular/trendy, especially when you consider all of the Madelines out there, too. I always consider other similar names. If you have an Adeline and Madeline in the same class, neither feels original. I had a Haley, Bailey, and Kaylee one year, and it was a big ole mess!
  • wcm2bwcm2b member
    edited April 2015
    @mamawren919 That is a good point! I am in British Columbia in Canada and Adeline is not at all common around here-the name data base said it was only used 6 times last year. BUT Madeline sure is! :)
  • It doesn't seem to be to terribly popular in the Pacific NW either, but would you consider Adelaide? I love it!
  • Adeline was my top name FOR EV ER and then it became super popular. :( I'm not a huge fan of overly popular names (I'm an 80's Ashley), so I think it's going to get dropped from my list, but it is a lovely, lovely name.
  • I like Adeline/Adaline. I think it is has taken off recently as an alternative to Madeline. Some people don't like the "mad" part of the beginning (I think this was also the case of Madison leading to Addison).

I have 3 friends with babies born in the last year named Adelyn (pronounced like madelyn without the M), so there are definitely pockets of popularity with it.
  • wcm2b said:

@mamawren919 That is a good point! I am in British Columbia in Canada and Adeline is not at all common around here-the name data base said it was only used 6 times last year. BUT Madeline sure is! :)

I love Adeline but it's extremely popular in the states. I'm so tired of hearing the nickname Addie (I like it.. Just sick of it.)

However, it sounds like it's WAY less popular in your area. I wouldn't worry about it getting lumped in with Madeline.. not where you live. Since Adeline is so rare there, it'll stand out as its own distinct name.
  • Adeline of the two, but I prefer Adelaide in general.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers