Baby Names

Top five girl names - opinions welcome!

Hey, everyone! So, my DH and I played a name game to narrow down our list. We printed off our massive list and took turns crossing off ones that we didn't like until we ended up with five we could agree on, at least for the girls. Of course, I would love some outside options. 

Last name is Irish and starts with Mc-.

MN options include Kathleen, Rose, and Elise. 

1. Tessanne (pronounced Tess-anne) (nn Tess)
  2. Evelyn
  3. Elowen (nn Elle) 
  4. Cecelia 
  5. Vanessa (nn Nessa) 
We're also open to other suggestions, but want names along this same style. Thanks in advance! 
DH (23) and Me (23)
Married 1/20/2015
TTC #1 in August 2015! 

Re: Top five girl names - opinions welcome!

1. Tessanne (pronounced Tess-anne) (nn Tess) No no no no no no no no
    2. Evelyn Nice but popular
    3. Elowen (nn Elle) Guilty pleasure. Would keep it middle
    4. Cecelia Love
    5. Vanessa (nn Nessa)  Good
    Cecelia Elowen
    Vanessa Elowen

Suggest
    Callista Elowen
    Teresa Elowen
  • I love the suggestions from @wassuphoes regarding Elowen as the middle name. Vanessa is my pick from your list. It's will age well and is very feminine. I second the suggestion of Teresa with nn Tessa since you like the nn Nessa and Tessanne.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Loading the player...
  • I LOVE your idea of using Kathleen as a mn. I'd skip Rose, because Kathleen is so much more interesting! :) Not a fan of Tessanne, although I do love Tess. Vanessa is nms, Elowen is pretty, Evelyn is very pretty.

My vote would be for Cecelia Kathleen. I'm falling in love with it in fact.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I really like Cecelia, and love the suggestion of Cecelia Kathleen. Gorgeous!

• bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited April 2015
    Tessane is bad. I like Theresa nn Tess.
    Evelyn- over it
    Elowen - ok
    Cecelia- love my favorite
    Vanessa- love but hate Nessa, reminds me of Loch Ness monster

• I like Cecelia or Vanessa. For Vanessa I prefer the nickname Vanna, but Nessa is cute too.
  • I still really like Evelyn, or anything ending in the "lynn" sound.  There is nothing wrong with giving your girl a name that is current.  Everyone will know how to pronounce it.  This is coming from a girl named Elizabeth.
    Married 8/12
    MC 4/15
    BFP 10/10/16

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I love Elowen Kathleen.
    CafeMom Tickers

• I love Elowen!

Tessanne is bad. I like Tessa a lot more.

Evelyn seems super popular lately.

Cecelia and Vanessa are ok.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
    1. Tessanne (pronounced Tess-anne) (nn Tess) - Not good! I love Tess by itself though.
    2. Evelyn - pretty
    3. Elowen (nn Elle) - not a fan but I like Elle 
    4. Cecelia - very pretty
    5. Vanessa (nn Nessa) - I like the name but not the nickname 

• 4N6s4N6s member
    Vanessa, no nickname.
    That's my name and I hate when people a.k.a. My mom say Ness or nessa. Ew.

• Elowen is such a pretty and unique name! I kind of want to steal it now. :-)
  • All first names and middle names are very nice except I don't care for Tessanne. Good luck!
    1. Tessanne (pronounced Tess-anne) (nn Tess)- no please
    2. Evelyn- ok but popular
    3. Elowen (nn Elle) -like
    4. Cecelia -love
    5. Vanessa (nn Nessa) love the most!
    1. Tessanne (pronounced Tess-anne) (nn Tess) - I really like the nickname Tess, but Tessanne seems like a "smoosh" name and it's hard to recognize what it is at first glance.  
    2. Evelyn - I used to dislike this name, but it's grown on me ever since I taught a kid with this name nicknamed "Evie."  Awesome kid with a great nn.
    3. Elowen (nn Elle) -- I don't love this one, but it's not bad.
    4. Cecelia -- LOVE it.
    5. Vanessa (nn Nessa)  -- dislike. 
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • angc4angc4 member
    Surprisingly I really like Tessanne! I say surprisingly because I'm a city girl and it screams southern and country to me, but I still love it... No offense if you don't intend it that way!
    My original gut vote would be Tessanne Rose ... I love it, it's unique, beautiful, and leads to a great (and more common) nickname
    28, DH - 30 
    Married 10/04/14 
    TTC since 1/1/15
    BFP 5/28/15
    MC 6/9/15
    BFP#2 9/21/15 - EDD 5/20/16
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Definitely Cecelia!
    DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • Love Vanessa or Cecelia. Both sound great with Kathleen.
  • Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I figured that Tessanne would get some negative comments, and it does sound like a smush of Tessa and Ann. Both DH and I love the NN "Tessa" but absolutely don't like Theresa/Teresa as a full given name. Tessanne was our solution! 

Vanessa is definitely my second favorite, and I love the suggestion of using Elowen as possible middle name...though Kathleen or Rose are still strong contenders. 

We also really like Cecelia but have been discouraged from using it by my MIL, because of some family history. Apparently my DH's grandfather's ex-wife was named Cecily, and if we use the name Cecelia, we risk angering DH's grandmother. Very complicated! 
    DH (23) and Me (23)
    Married 1/20/2015
    TTC #1 in August 2015! 
  • I love Elowen, it's sweet & refreshing!
  • Elowen for sure!

Me: 37 | DH: 41
    TTC Since 2011 DX: Unexplained 
    IUI's #1 - 3 = BFN
    IVF August 2014: FSH 4.1, PRL 15.3, TSH 2.1, W/ AFC 8.
     08/03 ER 5R, 4M, 3F. 08/08 5DT of 1-3AA0, 2 frozen :) bfp @9dp5dt. Beta on 08/20 = 414.
    So excited to have one little bean on the way!!

• Celicia Rose
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the feedback, ladies! I figured that Tessanne would get some negative comments, and it does sound like a smush of Tessa and Ann. Both DH and I love the NN "Tessa" but absolutely don't like Theresa/Teresa as a full given name. Tessanne was our solution!  Then why not name her Tessa Ann Mc______?

Vanessa is definitely my second favorite, and I love the suggestion of using Elowen as possible middle name...though Kathleen or Rose are still strong contenders. 

We also really like Cecelia but have been discouraged from using it by my MIL, because of some family history. Apparently my DH's grandfather's ex-wife was named Cecily, and if we use the name Cecelia, we risk angering DH's grandmother. Very complicated! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    Love Elowen!!!! I like it more than all the others.

Either Elowen Kathleen or Elowen Rose would be lovely!!