November 2015 Moms

Early gender testing

Hi ladies,

I've heard there are different companies that can determine the babies gender earlier than normal with a blood or urine test. Has anyone tried this, what is the name of the company/product, and were the results accurate? Thanks for the info :)

Re: Early gender testing

• Not sure where your from but in BC theres a company called NIPT that can determine the babys sex with a blood test and checks for abnormalities. Its suppost to be 99.9% accurate!
  • I know some doctors in my area do it.  I'm not sure if mine does or not.  As far as I know, the results are accurate.  At least they have been for the women I know who've had it done. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hmmm interesting! I'm from Tampa.
  • How early can you test?
  • Most of the ones I've looked up say 10 weeks
  • I wonder if anyone around here does it. I'm from Fort Walton Beah.
  • The test is for genetic screening/abnormalities. It is a blood test, not a urine test. It is not done for the purpose of sex determination, but you can find out as an added bonus. Be aware that your insurance may not cover it if you don't meet certain risk factors and it can cost about $2000.
  • mlcrites said:

I wonder if anyone around here does it. I'm from Fort Walton Beah.

Love 30A!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited April 2015
    I'm in NJ and my doctor offered me the Panorama test. It is a DNA test for chromosomal abnormalities but it also can tell you the sex. It's recommended at 10 weeks or later and is 99-100% accurate.
  • My doctor just regarded me today for the panorama test... Like everyone said its for chromosomal abnormalities but you can find out the gender by looking to see if it's a X or Y chromosomes..
  • I was told you that they can tell you the gender when you get the genetics test done. That's from 8-10 weeks.
  • There's a newer test called materniti21(I think that's the name). It's a blood test at 10 weeks to test for genetic abnormalities and with that testing they can tell you the sex. I'm going next week. But I believe you have to qualify- I had mc last time. (I'm in NJ).
  • Do you have to qualify for Panorama testing or is it something you can just ask your doctor for? How about the cost?
  • miristod said:

Do you have to qualify for Panorama testing or is it something you can just ask your doctor for? How about the cost?

I don't think you have to qualify... My doctor just asked me if I wanted it... He said its $3000 but if my insurance don't cover it., the lab he use for bloodwork will just write it off I just have to bring my bill if they send me one
  • You definitely want to check with your insurance for it. Anyone can have the test as far as I know, but cost can vary. My dr said something similar to pp. Most likely my insurance would cover it and they would write off the rest.
  • It's a test for people with family history of genetic abnormalities or those at high risk (over 35). It's not a test to find out the sex (not gender), although you can, that's not its purpose.

I am scheduled for the test on 4/20 and will not be finding out the sex.
  • I'm having a gender reveal party at 14 weeks at peek a boo 3d it's cheaper and I'm pretty excited