October 2015 Moms
Options

Can you eat shrimp while pregnant ?

Eating shrimp while pregnant ?! Cooked of course ! I know tuna has a lot of mercury and your only supposed to have a limited amount, no sushi while pregnant, cod fish is okay cooked, what about shrimp ?!

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Re: Can you eat shrimp while pregnant ?

• Options
    Great ! I love my shrimp and was prayin I could eat them !
  • Options
    I would personally not eat shrimp unless I was positive it was wild caught. Farm raised shrimp (and fish) are nasty...look it up. But wild caught...great in moderation! Eat it for me, I'm jealous I can't have any (I have a weird protein sensitivity and it doesn't stay down).
  • Options
    Even sushi from a reputable establishment is totally fine!
  • Options
    Of course you can! Just look up a chart of mercury levels in fish. You're not supposed to go crazy with ones that are higher in mercury, but none if them are off limits. I think some women stop eating it all together, but fish is so healthy for you and baby!
  • Options

I would personally not eat shrimp unless I was positive it was wild caught. Farm raised shrimp (and fish) are nasty...look it up. But wild caught...great in moderation! Eat it for me, I'm jealous I can't have any (I have a weird protein sensitivity and it doesn't stay down).

Yes it was caught wild (: ! Thanks !
  • Options
    The biggest worry with seafood is the mercury level.  Mercury levels are highest in predatory fish, tiny things that filter the water will have some mercury, but as you move up the food chain it gets concentrated.  Shrimp should be fine for mercury, but I agree with PP, try for wild caught.  Farmed fish and shrimp are raised in some nasty conditions, and have they a different diet than wild caught, which brings in additional concerns about food quality.  You won't be getting the same health benefits (omega-3s, DHA, etc.) from farmed fish as you might from wild caught.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes!!!
  • Options
    s&jeggertons&jeggerton member
    edited April 2015
    Yup as long as it is cooked ;)
  • Options
    This shrimp is cooked and wild caught (: !
  • Options
    I had an amazing crab leg dinner last night.. Checked with my midwife and everything was good to go, just as long as the crab was completely cooked and I ate it in moderation (: