July 2015 Moms
Options

Stupid Dumb 1-Hour Glucose Test Frustrations

I had my test this morning and failed by one point with a 141. If one point wasn't frustrating enough, the phlebotomist didn't see me until 8:05 and had me come back at 8:55 to draw blood. I'm convinced 10 minutes made a difference. Mostly because I'm upset. And hormonal. And I hate needles. 

Next week, it's back to the lab for the lovely 3-hour test. I guess I'll have to load my Netflix queue and have some earbuds handy. Eh. Good news? All my other numbers are great, and I got to hear "Thumper's" heartbeat. We have a name for her picked out, but the way she moves and kicks repeatedly... she's my Thumper. Focus on the positives, right ladies?

Hope you're all having a stellar week.

Re: Stupid Dumb 1-Hour Glucose Test Frustrations

• Options

I had my test this morning and failed by one point with a 141. If one point wasn't frustrating enough, the phlebotomist didn't see me until 8:05 and had me come back at 8:55 to draw blood. I'm convinced 10 minutes made a difference. Mostly because I'm upset. And hormonal. And I hate needles. 

Next week, it's back to the lab for the lovely 3-hour test. I guess I'll have to load my Netflix queue and have some earbuds handy. Eh. Good news? All my other numbers are great, and I got to hear "Thumper's" heartbeat. We have a name for her picked out, but the way she moves and kicks repeatedly... she's my Thumper. Focus on the positives, right ladies?

Hope you're all having a stellar week.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. It really sucks. I'll be making sure to time every second of that shit now, though.  Good luck on attempt #2!
  • Options
    I would be pissed, I check my sugars at home so I don't have any surprises with the sugar test. 10minutes makes a big difference, even 5 minutes makes a difference
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That sucks, but look on the brightside... it's only one point which means you'll probably pass the 3 hour with flying colors!
    <leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I'd be a little pissed also...I was sorta pushy with my lady because I didn't want to take any chances. Right at the moment I told her I needed drawn right then.
  • Options
    I would be super über pissed toe point of reporting the phlebotomist. 10 minutes does make a difference, there is a reason it's called a one hour test.
  • Options
    Good to know I'm not being completely ridiculous about the 10 minutes! I don't think I would have given it another thought if it hadn't just been ONE POINT. Oh well. A nap fixed my crankiness, and I'm just ready to get this all over now. Spilled milk, I guess.

But a reminder to others! Make that hour last - don't let 'em short change you! No guarantee that was my issue, but it's the possibility that makes caution worth it.

Thanks for the comments, all!
  • Options
    I'm not sure what my numbers were, but I was told that I was "right on the borderline" so I must do the 3 hour test tomorrow.
  • Options
    @zeppelingirl6 - How did your re-test go, if you don't mind me asking? I'm at my 3-hour now. Brought water to sip and some crackers to snack on as soon as it's done. It may have just been a point, but it was enough to make me nervous about the results of this longer test. 
  • Options
    Ugh!  My one hour test came back with a 135, and my doc is still making me take this stupid three hour test!  I'm more annoyed that that I have to take time off from work, when I think it's unnecessary.
  • Options
    @mommamorales I don't have anything to add about the glucose test BUT I love the name thumper....lol
  • Options
    mnj05mnj05 member
    I failed by one point too but passed the 3 hour with flying colors. It sucks to go through the long one over just one stupid point, I had to with my first son too.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Options
    Oh.. I seem to have been misinformed.. My midwife has written out my referral for a glucose test but she explained it as being 3 hours whereas with you ladies that sounds like case only if you fail a first one ..?
  • Options
    @biaromoy my dr will skip straight to the 3hour if u have any factors that make u more likely to get GD,

I have an extra 1hour one at 12 weeks because I have insulin resistance which I passed, so soon I'll have a 3 hour one also
  • Options
    Ah thank you @sarahsairsair :) righto that makes sense, type 2 diabetes has been in a few family members that must be it.
  • Options

I was reading this thread yesterday while waiting for my test - luckily they called me in right at the one hour mark. Hoping I pass - the drink wasn't as bad as I thought, but having to sit there for 3 hours waiting sounds awful.

• Options
    @BerlyTown Good luck on your results! I haven't heard how my 3-hour went yet, but they said they'll call if the results are bad. Otherwise, I just wait to review with my doctor later this morning at 10:30. The 3-day wait has been more nerve wracking than the test itself.

• Options
    @mnj05 Glad to hear of a "success story," if it makes sense to call it that. I'm hoping for the same. Silly how one point can even cause me to start questioning my health and possibilities of GD. I should hear results today. Fingers crossed for similar flying colors!
  • Options
    My sister was over by 3 points and had to go back for the 3 hour test and she ended up "failing" and being diagnosed with gestational diabities. So better to be safe than sorry
  • Options
    @bchandler913 In the waiting room now, hoping for a better outcome. That's rough.

Even worse, the more I ask around, the more I find that people with horrible eating habits can be fine while healthier diets can still result in GD. I've had overweight friends pass with flying colors and thin/seemingly healthy friends that ended up with GD.
  • Options
    cdch820cdch820 member
    edited April 2015
    Some Midwives Skip The One Hour Because They Have A High Rate Of False Positives
  • Options
    @mommamorales I did my 1 hour yesterday. I finished the drink at 3:06 and the nurse called me back at 2:55. I told her the other nurse said to wait until AT LEAST 3 to come back. She said "oh it's fine we have a window we can do it in". I told her I had to use the bathroom and waited in there for the extra time. I'm so glad I read your post before I went in for mine..I wasn't taking any chances!!!
  • Options
    Hannie7108Hannie7108 member
    edited April 2015
    Had my 1 hour last Friday and failed by a only a few points. My OB told me not to be surprised though. Said all of his patients are failing because they lowered the range they go by. Took my 3 hour yesterday and passed! And I thought the dextrose you drink was delicious :)
  • Options
    mommamoralesmommamorales member
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for all the comments, ladies!

@hilarym7 Good for you! I'm still swearing by that 10 minutes! Also, they told me during the 3-hour that sipping on water is fine. At the 1-hour, they told me I couldn't even have water. Ugh. Good luck!

And the conclusion of my stupid, dumb glucose test saga: Numbers are normal! Phew! So for anyone else failing the 1-hour... Don't stress! (Because that's so easy to do.)

Good luck to anyone still going through these!