Trying to Get Pregnant

Cramping and light bleeding

This is my first month of ttc, it is day 18 of my last period and I am lightly bleeding and cramping, wondering if this is my period

Re: Cramping and light bleeding

• That's not a lot of information to go off of. Are you saying that you're 18 days into your next cycle, as in, the first day of your last period was 18 days ago? Do you need a pad or tampon or is this just spotting? Spotting is normal at any time during your cycle and doesn't mean that anything is wrong, even if you've never had it before. Are you temping?
  • Sorry I am very new to this stuff, it's been 18 days since I finished my last period, this is the first month off bc, don't need pad or tampon but never did before when I got my periods, however always been on the pill so not quite sure what my normal is.. Not sure what temping is, thanks for your advice
  • Loading the player...
  • Your first month off BC is bound to be a bit weird. Your body has to completely re-learn what to do again, rather than relying on the hormones in BC to tell it what to do.

That said, mid cycle spotting is not that uncommon. If you need a pad or tampon, it's your period. Otherwise, it could be spotting associated with ovulation, or from cervical irritation (especially if you're having lots of sex) or just random mid cycle spotting. I wouldn't be too concerned.
  • How long does your period usually last? I only ask because you measure the length of your cycle from the first day of your period. So, you'd add the number of days of your period to that 18 to see how far into your cycle you really are. Example, if your period is 4 days, then you're actually on cycle day 22.

That being said, I'm sure you are just taking some time to regulate so things are going to be a little off. My thoughts are that this is probably your period but I would give it a day or two and see what happens.

Temping is the only way to really know when you ovulate. It refers to the process of taking your basal body temperature (your temp when you wait up in the morning) every day and charting it using something like fertilityfriend.com. The body sits at a slightly lower temperature during the follicular phase of your cycle (the days before ovulation) and then jumps to a higher temperature during your luteal phase (the days after ovulation) and then drops back down when you start your period and start a new cycle. This is how you can tell you're ovulating (when your temp jumps up, you know you've ovulated).

It's a fantastic way of learning about your body and your cycle and predicting when you ovulate. I highly recommend checking out fertilityfriend.com for charting and the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility to learn all about your body, cycle, and this process. It's recommended by most all the women on this site!
  • Thanks heaps kyleneum13 very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"