Trying to Get Pregnant

specific OPK timing question

VesperLoveVesperLove member
edited March 2015 in Trying to Get Pregnant
I have been using OPKs the last few days to test for LH surge. My brand says not to use FMU so I have been using second urine of the day.

Today that fell at 2 p.m. For the first time I got a line but it wasn't equal to or darker than the control line so I'm calling it a negative. However, I'm wondering if i should take another one later this evening before going to bed or if 6-8 hours wouldnt show much difference (i knpw some people test twice a day) or if I should just wait and test again tomorrow. And if I wait until tomorrow, in this situation would I use FMU since I'm getting at least a little reading or would i stick two second urine?

I'm temping and checking CM so OPK isnt 100% necessary but as a newbie learning the ropes im interested in how all the pieces line up for me on my chart.

Edit: voice text is terrible sometimes.

Re: specific OPK timing question

• I would. You don't know if you have a short surge.
  • I was told that for Opks that don't use fmu, take them anytime between 10am-5pm. No harm in taking another to see.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies. I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt!
  • Try again. Heck, I think yesterday I tested everytime I went pee! I'm obsessed with those little sticks. Hoping for a temp shift tomorrow, but watching the line helps keep me sane.
    Me (23) & DH (26)
    TTC #1 since 2/2015
    BFP 2/26/15    |     EDD 11/4/15     |     Natural M/C 3/11/12 @ 6 weeks
    BFP 6/17/15    |     EDD 2/26/15     |     Empty Sac 7/13/15  @ 7 weeks     |    D&C 8/10/15
    BFP 11/26/15  |     EDD 8/9/16       |     Natural M/C 12/2/15 @ 4 weeks
    BFP 1/4/16      |     EDD 9/8/16       |     It's a BOY!                                      |     Hudson born 9/16/16
    Working with RE to begin infertility testing 12/2015

• @mrsgillham14, I think we're in the same boat! I'm CD15 today and still waiting. CM the last two days has been EW so I'm just waiting for the temp shift. I wake up in the morning, don't see the temp shift, and am ready to go back to bed so I can temp the next day! I just want that freaking shift! My problem is that I only have the pricier OPKs right now :( Wondfos are on their way but for now it's just the expensive ones that I want to last through this cycle.  Good luck to you!
  • 27alex27alex member
    edited April 2015
    Which brand OPKs are you using? I have to use FMU with my Target OPKs or I never get a positive, I drink way too much water.
  • I don't know the brand specifically (I'd need to go snag the box) but they are just the ones that my grocery store pharmacy sells. Non-name brand. Probably not the best, but their instructions say not to use FMU because "surges typically begin in late morning or early afternoon" whatever that means -- so it recommends later morning/early afternoon.
  • I don't know the brand specifically (I'd need to go snag the box) but they are just the ones that my grocery store pharmacy sells. Non-name brand. Probably not the best, but their instructions say not to use FMU because "surges typically begin in late morning or early afternoon" whatever that means -- so it recommends later morning/early afternoon.

Mine say that, it just didn't work for me. I test with FMU and then again in the afternoon. There's a correlation. Say I get a positive in the am and a dark but not quite positive in the afternoon. The next day I may have a barely positive in the am and a negative on the dark side in the afternoon.

Try FMU and keep the afternoon testing as well, and compare with your temping. I just use the OPKs to know when to start having sex, don't stress about them too much!
  • Thanks @27alex, that's what I'm using it for as well. I'm consistent with CM and temping so it's really not necessary -- more a curiosity than anything :) and thanks for the tips! I'll give that a shot tomorrow.
  • Thanks @27alex, that's what I'm using it for as well. I'm consistent with CM and temping so it's really not necessary -- more a curiosity than anything :) and thanks for the tips! I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Let me know how it works!
  • I literally came on here this morning just to search this exact question.  I've been using the Target brand and it seems like I HAVE to do it in the morning.  I feel like it's kind of hard for me to do it during the day because I'm constantly drinking water.  Yesterday I tested right when I got home from work and it was negative, but I tested a few hours later  and didn't drink much water and it was darker (but still negative).  Depending on what brand you are using, after opening them they expire after 30 days anyways so it doesn't hurt doing it multiple times in one day.  Good luck!  

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• @27alex another neg this morning, even lighter than both i took yesterday. Or maybe about the same. Ill do another this afternoon and compare again. EWCM was more prevalent yesterday too but that doesnt mean anything necessarily. Temp hasnt risen so no O quite yet. Heres to another day!
  • @27alex another neg this morning, even lighter than both i took yesterday. Or maybe about the same. Ill do another this afternoon and compare again. EWCM was more prevalent yesterday too but that doesnt mean anything necessarily. Temp hasnt risen so no O quite yet. Heres to another day!

Can't hurt to try!
  • Do you guys always get an obvious positive on your OPKs?  I feel like I never get one that's clearly positive.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• You should try a digital test. I bought the Clearblue Digital kind and it will clearly show an empty circle (not fertile) or a smiley face (fertile) and it also predicts a few days earlier than other tests too- giving you your fertility window and your "peak" fertility 
  • @nlwz123 this is my first month using the test and I have yet to get a clear positive the way the box says I should. I'll get a distinct line that seem to have one tiny thin ribbon that's fairly dark but the rest is light and it's not nearly as thick or dark as the control.
  • @teeveemom, I was using the digital tests at one point, but that got a little expensive.

@kyleneum13, mine are the same way.  They have definitely been getting darker lately, but they never seem as dark/bold as the test line.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• Im keeping my last few so when the temp shift happens i can ser what my most recent tests look like. In case im interpreting them wrong.
  • Kyleneum13 that's always how mine look as well! A dark ribbon in there but not fully all dark.
  • Digitals are expensive and more trouble than they're worth.
  • @Embuzz247 have you considered any of them positive?
  • Yeah, I save all of mine and tape them down to a piece of paper in ascending order...which is kind of gross. haha

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016

• 27alex said:

Digitals are expensive and more trouble than they're worth.

27alex said:

They're expensive- yes. I think they're worth it... but why are they more trouble exactly? 

• teeveemom said:

27alex said:

Digitals are expensive and more trouble than they're worth.

27alex said:

They're expensive- yes. I think they're worth it... but why are they more trouble exactly? 

Because some women have very short surges and need to test multiple times in a day in order to catch their surge.
  • Ah gotcha- yes, if that's the case, would be very expensive. 

• I like to use wondfos 2-3 times a day, then use a digital or two when the line is close. Don't use the advanced though because I don't think those will work over more than one cycle.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• I have some wondfos on their way to me so I can stop spending crazy amounts of money on the store bought brands!
  • nlwz123 said:

Do you guys always get an obvious positive on your OPKs?  I feel like I never get one that's clearly positive.

You may need to make sure you're letting the test develop before checking it(like 4 min).

Me: 31 DH: 30
    Married since 8/2013
    TTC #1 since 3/2015
  • Well, I just did a little research (google image searching) for my brand and positive/negative OPKs ... and it looks like I may have missed my surge :( I'll test again later today to confirm but I think it was yesterday. The lines weren't nearly as wide/thick as the control but there was one tiny thin band that may be considered equal to (give some of the other images I found that people are reading as positive) and people are saying that's all that's necessary (not a thick one). We shall see. 
  • @Embuzz247 have you considered any of them positive?

Yes I do. As long as even a thin strip is darker, I count it. And correlating with my temps, it's right. Did you bd at all in the few days leading up to your surge? You may still be in the running.
  • @embuzz2477, we BDed nearly every day through Sunday but not Mon or Tues. However, my temp was the same this morning as it was yesterday morning - no temp climb starting yet. I also just did another OPK (had to pee again and thought I'd go for it even though the last was only three hours ago!) and it looks darker than all the rest ... and ECWM is definitely present today. Needless to say I'll be getting my hubby in the mood when I get home!
  • Def bd again! But some months for me my temp rise comes a couple days later. So you may not have a spike until tomorrow.
  • VesperLoveVesperLove member
    edited April 2015
    That's what I'm thinking @embuzz247. This morning's OPK (the one I just took) is absolutely positive. The first one I've had that looks that way so I'm assuming O will happen today or tomorrow and I'll see the temp increase either tomorrow morning or the next day. We'll find out and we'll definitely be BDing today ;)
  • Go get em girl!!! Today's your day!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"