September 2015 Moms

Bottle feeding blues

Warning this is a long vent-

I have found tons of information for moms who want to breastfeed. I toured the hospital we will be using and bf moms were given literature packets, but I received nothing on bottle feeding. The hospital even told me they won't suggest or supply formula or bottles.
When I tell people, who ask, that I am choosing to bottle feed, they ask what's wrong with me. I hear a lecture on why I should bf, and how much healthier it is for the baby.
I tried to look up info on how to prevent my breasts from leaking or even preventing lactation period- and can't find anything.
Am I totally alone out here? Does anyone else want to bottle feed? Does anyone know of a website or ANY groups/support/information on bottle feeding?

Re: Bottle feeding blues

• Hey girl, sorry for the distress. I'm going to attempt breastfeeding for the first three months and just set small goals from there, but I have no problem bottle feeding or formula feeding either if that's the way it works out. My whole circle of friends and family were formula fed and we're all perfectly healthy, and always have been. My cousin is formula feeding and uses Target UpandUp brand formula, which works well for her boys' tummies. I would get a variety of bottles and just see which ones the little baby takes to, since babies are all different. As for support groups, I'm sorry to say that I've never heard of one and don't know if they exist. It seems that breastfeeding comes with a lot of challenges that bottle feeding doesn't, and that is why there is so much support. Maybe they encourage breastfeeding at the hospital during your tour, but I've heard lots of mamas say that the hospital gave them a can of formula for baby (just in case) when leaving the hospital. If they won't, just have your own formula and bottle ready and tell the doctor your wishes, they may try to get you to breastfeed, but ultimately you are in charge. Good luck!
  • Hey, I had a similar problem when I switched from breastfeeding to bottle feeding. It's a completely personal decision and you don't owe anyone an explanation - you're still feeding your baby and that's all that matters. There's a shot that stops lactation, but it's not currently available in the States because of a link to cancer, even though it's widely available in Canada and Europe. I really liked this website, it's very supportive. If you need to talk, PM me!

https://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com
  • Loading the player...
  • They used to give you medicine in the hospital to help stop lactation. Maybe you can ask your doctor about it if you want to formula feed. There isn't anything wrong with it and I think it's wonderful women have a choice regarding their bodies. Don't let anyone bring you down.
  • I ended up having to bottle feed with my first child due to labor complications and being on too many meds to function. The doctors did discourage it while I was pregnant but after I gave birth and was physically unable to breastfeed they gave the baby formula and bottle and gave me some once I was able to leave he hospital. I tried breastfeeding after I got home but the baby was just too used to bottle feeding so that was the reason for my choice. I don't look down upon it. I will try to breastfeed this time around but if I can't, my first child did just fine so I see no problem with it.
  • I'm not sure about stopping lactation but best bottles are the ones baby likes. It is a good idea to have a few different styles. Best advice I got too late about formula: choose the cheapest brand and if baby tolerates it, run with it. I fell for the coupons and free samples from similac. Not that similac is bad by any means, just expensive when the coupons run out.
  • I bottle fed my son and he's a happy healthy little boy. I tried BF but I didn't have the supply. He liked Dr. Brown and Avent bottles. We gave him Enfamil formula and he did well on it. When I was first supplementing I have him the liquid, then switched him to the powder when I started formula feeding him full time.
  • As far as stopping lactation (because I feel like everything else has been covered) it's all about symptom control. Buy a very tight sports bra to wear after delivery, no warm water directly on the breast till the milks dries up, cool packs and ibuprofen for the discomfort (frozen cabbage leaves work wonderfully for this because they conform to the shape of the breast). They will hurt for a few days and your milk will still come in but as long as you don't actively drain the breast they will dry up. Breast milk is a supply and demand system so if you don't demand it your body will not make more and eventually re absorb what was made. I am so sorry you had this less than stellar experience at your tour it pains me that we push breastfeeding so much while forgetting that it is a personal choice.
  • @troopersmom I'm in the opposite boat as you. My plan is to breastfeed/ pump and I get the "lets see how long that lasts" or "good luck with that." Not the same as what you're going thru, but still just as annoying.

All of the advice that has been given so far has been great. Especially trying the cheap formulas first and if it works run with it. I've seen some people suggest Costco/Sam's as well.

Something I thought about is if you are going to put LO in daycare maybe find out what formula they use so the baby has consistently. Don't know if that matters at all, it was just a thought I had.
  • I'm a FTM and am also planning on only formula/ bottlefeeding. People don't hesitate to tell you exactly how they feel about bottlefeeding vs. breastfeeding. I've already caught so many nasty comments and I'm only 15 weeks. I almost expect them now when people ask what I'm choosing to do, as if it's any of their business anyway. But, good luck to anyone who tries to put me down while I'm in the middle of a mood swing hahah! I just roll my eyes and shrug them off. Don't let anyone try to change your mind. There is NOTHING wrong with formula feeding.
    I'm a teacher in an infant classroom, so I deal with mostly breastfed babies all day long, but one piece of advice I can give you is to not splurge and stock up a ton on one specific type/brand of formula just yet. Every baby is different and what works well for one baby may not exactly agree with another. Tempting as it may be if you ever come across a good sale, try to resist haha!
  • I'm surprised the hospital won't provide formula to you?! I chose not to bf my son (I was 17 and "embarrassed" to try it). The hospital sent me home with pre-mixed 2 ounce formula bottles to get me throughthe first few days. They did the same when I had my daughter even though I chose to bf her. They just wanted to make sure I had some on hand in case breast feeding wasn't working.
  • Go online to various different formula web sites and sign up for as many free samples as you can. You get a pretty generous amount of free formula. You could even have samples sent to friends' houses. My friend just had a baby and does both breast feeding and formula, she got so many free samples from signing up online and I plan to do the same! I'll try to breastfeed and supplement and see how it goes, everyone has the right to do it their way. And for the record, I was formula fed and I'm not a mutant or anything.
  • FayethFayeth member
    edited April 2015
    Oh I worry about this all the time! I really feel as though my choice isn't to breast or bottle feed it's whether I'm going to be a good or bad mum!
    I want to formula feed If I'm honest. I don't even want to try breast feeding. This may be TMI but I have extremely sensitive nipples. It hurts if I accidentally touch them. I have to always wear somthing to keep them covered as even clothes make me flinch! I cant even imagine how i would breast feed!
    I am considering pumping but don't know much about it!
    This to some people has automatically made me inadequate and selfish.....
  • @Fayeth my close mommy friends say a happy mommy is a good mommy. If you're going to be miserable or in pain, you shouldn't do it because you won't be happy. That will impact everything else about being a mommy! Just focus on what will position you to be the happiest mommy to take good care of your baby. If you're feeding your child (through BM or F), you're taking care of them.
  • shelbydd said:

It seriously baffles me that no matter what decisions you make as a parent, there is always someone standing by waiting to tear you down. It's so sad. Want to breastfeed? HA! Good luck, it's too hard, you'll never make it! Formula feeding? *gasp* You're not even going to TRY breastfeeding? Bed sharing? That's dangerous! Not bed sharing? You won't properly bond with the baby! Working? You're not a real mom! Staying home? You've got it easy!

Sorry, that was a total vent. It's so frustrating though to see how no matter what decisions we make and no matter how confident we feel that we are doing what's right for our family, someone else will always put it down.

^^^^^^THIS EXACTLY THIS!!! We women need to build each other up not tear each other down!!!! life is hard enough!
  • blondiebootsblondieboots member
    edited April 2015
    I bottle fed my first 3 babies , I am currently pregnant with my fourth.I am planning to breastfeed this time around because of various reasons and I am currently full time mom and i need to save money this time and not buy formula, if i can be successfull at breastfeeding .I do I hate how people judge about the formula feeding sometimes though.I had some help through WIC for formula , so if you can qualify through that it is extremely helpful because it is expensive and wic is an awesome program. Your breasts will engorge real bad and it is painful, but it will dry up in a few days . good luck and no worries , there is nothing wrong with formula feeding if that is your choice ☺
  • Your pediatrician will be a good source of information once the baby comes. At that point, they just want to make sure that baby is getting the right amount and they will help you down whatever path you take (at least mine did).
  • My hospital has bottle feeding stuff there.  They use the infant instant ready Similac newborn and they just throw a nipple on it.  You could just bring some in your go bag but that is really strange that the hospital won't support you.  Our incourages breastfeeding but has all the needed supplies for bottle feeding they just won't send it home with you as they only provide what baby eats in hospital.
  • I won't be breastfeeding because I have a prolactinoma (a tumor on my pituitary gland, which can grow if I do). I also was hearing a ton of flack about not breastfeeding, and I finally started telling people why (not many people know that I have this), let me tell you, it made them feel like a jerk for giving me a hard time about it.

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Also I want to add that Dr browns bottles are hands down the best. I tried everything with my first and used those ever since. All my mommy friends say the same
  • Also I want to add that Dr browns bottles are hands down the best. I tried everything with my first and used those ever since. All my mommy friends say the same

Yes! Those are awesome! I really like the glass ones, too.
  • It truly is what is best for your family and baby. And even though I would like to try pumping once I go back to work (assuming breast feeding is successful), I am not opposed to formula if that is the way it is. I had a little freak out the other day because a bunch of the websites also guilt trip you for pumping, because that is also not good enough.
    Why is it so hard to find good, non-judgy info?!
  • Here is my take on it. BF is NOT for everyone, not everyone can do it, & it is very tough. I bf my DS for 11 months while pumping and ended up supplementing because my supple dropped. At 4.5m, my DD self weaned and did not want to bf anymore, so formula route we went. I had a friend who didn't make more than a few cc's of milk ever and had a horrible time until they realized that was an issue. Formula was what ended up right for her.

People will always give you their opinions, solicited or not. I have noticed that applies to most thing pregnancy related, birth, feeling, sick children you name it. Take each persons opinion with a grain of salt & listen to what is right for you.

As far as bottle feeding, consider making an appt with your future ped. To ask their opinion on where to start. And as pp said, I highly reccomend Dr. Browns bottles too, they were amazing.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"