March 2015 Moms

Resource for BFing Mamas

Hi new mamas, hope the nursing is going well. I noticed a couple questions that seemed like they were latch issues disguising themselves as supply issues. Sometimes advice to new mamas can be contradictory. I have friends whose hospital IBC/LCs were angels from heaven - in my case with my first, I got some really terrible advice that nearly made it impossible to nurse. Those first few weeks are crucial, so I wanted to share some resources and invite experienced mamas to share what helped them succeed in BFing, in addition to the LC you may have had in hospital...

- La Leche League - of course, this tops the list. Be aware that this organization is passionate about one thing, and that is helping mamas succeed in their nursing relationship. So if you are ambivalent about nursing or haven't made up your mind yet, it may seem to come on a little strong. That said, I have never met more dedicated mamas than in this group - plus it's a great way to meet mamas in your same stage of babyhood.

- Dr Jack Newman - Pediatrician who is really a latch expert as well as ensuring baby's have proper flow. Link to many encouraging videos:
https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=videos 
I think videos are the next best thing to having a nursing expert right over your shoulder.

There are many others which I'm sure have helped other mamas too. Ina May has a guide to breastfeeding which I vaguely remember being helpful with my first also.

One important thing to remember is the BFing, while natural, may not always come naturally - it's something you and baby both have to learn.

Any other suggestions?

Re: Resource for BFing Mamas

• okay the link to Jack Newman Breastfeeding Videos seems to be corrupt or thebump.com disallows it; if you google that phrase you will see what I reference. Best!!
  • I like kellymom.com as well
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for this! I'm a second time nursing mom but after 4 years need some fresh tips again. :)
  • so @adelems I take it that you are now holding your precious LO?! I was wondering about you today... had a feeling you were getting birthy! ;)

• @elizalegs I am!! After a slightly traumatic NST the evening before (in which the nurse scared the crap out of me but it turned out there was nothing to worry about.. She told me I had been leaking amniotic fluid and we would have to induce him ect... Then the doctor was like.. No no. But it is time for him to be born and she did a membrane sweep.) he was born the next morning! Oh my goodness so glad to be on the other side of that now! :)
  • I wish I had known about the jack Newman videos with my first... I had major latch issues and was too stubborn to ask for help from a LC. I know better now.

On the Alpha Parent blog there is a post called The Timeline of a Breastfed Baby that I found super helpful. I breaks everything down day by day for the first week and then week by week/month by month after that. I loved that it included little facts about the health benefits that baby was receiving along the way. It kept me going when I was having major trouble breastfeeding.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"