November 2015 Moms

Placenta encapsulation

Anyone have their placenta encapsulated? It's something I've read a lot about and was curious of first hand experiences. TIA!

Re: Placenta encapsulation

• So so so gross to me. This is why they make prenatal vitamins
  • I seriously considered it last time, but i ran into some roadblocks.  I couldn't find anyone local to do it and the cost of shipping to someone who could do it was cost prohibitive.  Also, the hospital where I delivered doesn't allow you to take the placenta with you.  Good luck.  I've heard really great things about it helping with the baby blues and other post partum issues. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I really really want to do this. I don't know of anyone local, but there are some companies you can send it to long distance. It sounds so fantastic!
    Baby number 1 on the way!
  • So so so gross to me. This is why they make prenatal vitamins

No...its not actually. Placenta encapsulation is for after delivery. It helps with things like PPD. 

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• I also considered it last time but at the time my hospital was fighting women who wanted to take theirs.
    A few friends of mine who had PPD with previous pregnancies did and said it helped so much sigh their second and third ones.

I don't think it's gross at all! Especially in capsule form.
    I'm considering it this time as well.
  • I also would have liked to do it. But it was just one more battle with the hospital I wasn't up for, not to mention the cost.

My doula is hardcore though. She skipped the capsules and turned hers into a smoothie. No lie! 

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• ^ now that I'm not sure I could do.
    My hospital now let's women take it with out a fight. They used to only release it to a funeral home, which was very hard for women who had suffered losses. A group of women formed a board and got it changed last year though.
  • This is a must for me. I am having trouble finding someone who does this without costing an arm and a leg for shipping!
  • Try calling some local doulas @MadlyneK. I would think they would know. Mine has a service she recommends.
  • Thanks @Pontot31, will do!
  • I will be doing this this time around! My two best friends both did it with their first (I couldn't because of hospital restrictions) and one is due with her second any day (actualy she was "due" Sunday, lol) but she is also going the smoothie route this time. I think she is insane! Lol
  • I am a doula and an expectant mama. I have done placenta encapsulation for two clients, and I plan to have mine encapsulated as well. It is not only great for PPD, but also lactation, uterine contraction, and you can save some to help with menopause!
  • To each their own but from what I've read there really is no scientific proof that this works. More than just people saying they feel great. And many people claim they feel great on placebo pills. I for one am nottttttt at all into the idea.
  • I kept my youngest daughter's placentas after my two home births, however I only froze them to later plant under a tree in the yard. I found an article about encapsulation but I can't figure out how to paste it. I'm on my phone so maybe that's why. Very interesting and it makes sense.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • A lot of women even do it at home. All you need is a strong stomach, food dehydrater, food processor and pill caps.
  • allip15 said:

To each their own but from what I've read there really is no scientific proof that this works. More than just people saying they feel great. And many people claim they feel great on placebo pills. I for one am nottttttt at all into the idea.

This.  We looked into doing it with our first.  I have several friends that have done it and swear by it.  I spoke with our doula about it and she spoke about the lack of scientific evidence.  We opted not to because of cost and lack of science.
    That being said, if you want really want to do it, go for it. I don't think it will hurt anything to do it.
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • A lot of women even do it at home. All you need is a strong stomach, food dehydrater, food processor and pill caps.

I think I might do it this way!
  • Nope, nope, nope. Just looked at the step-by-step in drying it out and my stomach turned. Can't even. Noooo.

Maybe I'm not hardcore enough - idk. To each her own ! :-B now storing the the cord blood interests me. A concept I never heard of until last week.
  • I did it with my first. Since that is my only experience, I can't say if it would have been worse without. But it wasn't that expensive. And the pills go down just like any other vitamin, so it isn't gross as long as you don't think too much. I will probably do it again.
  • When we talk about the "alarming cost" what are we talking about? $1,000 or like $10,000. I'm very interested. But I'm also cheap. Lol And has anyone found someone who does this in western Canada?
  • I'm doing it this time around. My friend is a doula she will be with us through the birth then she'll take the placenta and bring it back within 24hrs :)
  • @Joyou5 it is only $100 in the Denver area so it crazy expensive, just something I didn't feel we needed to spend the money on
    Baby Boy born on 1/14/13
  • I think it's usually only a few hundred to do it. I've never heard of it costing a thousand plus. I haven't looked this pregnancy, but I remember it being closer to $200-$300....
  • https://www.alternative-mama.com/placenta-encapsulation/

This here is a great article on doing it at home
  • Awesome! Thanks ladies!
  • A friend of mine did it herself. She cooked it instead of drying it. (She did say it smelled pretty bad) She followed a recipe from her midwife, then she ground it and put it into pills. She liked it, not something I would do, but if I had had ppd last time I would consider trying it.
  • I'm doing it!! There is a local lady in my city who does it for $188. She gives you the capsules and a salve. She says the salve is good for c-section scars, hemorrhoids, perineal tearing, eczema, sun burn, diaper rash, skin irritation, etc. Basically an all natural antibiotic ointment. I'm excited :-)

A local company does the same, with a Placenta Painting (they paint your placenta and press it to a paper, making it look like a tree or the umbilical cord like a heart) too. It's only $200 for all 3, and you can even get a little smoothie sent to you straight away
  • Perfect. I think that's worth it! Thanks!
  • Living on a farm, our "best" mothers, milker, etc. all eat their placenta within minutes.of dropping it, sometimes before it's completely expelled. Sounds gross, but there is definitely something to it, otherwise I the natural world, it wouldn't happen. (Call me crazy, but my only real experience with labor, delivery and raising babies is livestock, but I feel like it's prepared me in ways most can't experience before their own children) I've always been interested in learning more about this for myself, but haven't gotten that far in my planning. Interesting convo though, thanks!!
  • Nope, nope, nope. Just looked at the step-by-step in drying it out and my stomach turned. Can't even. Noooo.

Maybe I'm not hardcore enough - idk. To each her own ! :-B now storing the the cord blood interests me. A concept I never heard of until last week.

I did that with my son. It is a safe procedure. But that depends on the doctor that takes the blood. It must be viable and in the stem cell bank in max 24 h after birth. I had to call the bank, they sent someone who picked up thr kit that they sent me about 2 m before birtH. Wich i hat to remember to take to the hospital. The cost vas abou 1500$ and the we have a 50$ fee every year
  • Joyou5 said:

When we talk about the "alarming cost" what are we talking about? $1,000 or like $10,000. I'm very interested. But I'm also cheap. Lol And has anyone found someone who does this in western Canada?

I live in Tacoma, WA and found a service that does it for $160. Others were around $200.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"