Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Staying in bed/Lying down after sex: Is it true?

I have been doing a little bit of reading online and I read that after sex you should stay in bed and lay down for a little bit. Is this a myth or is there some truth to that?

Thanks, ladies! 

Re: Staying in bed/Lying down after sex: Is it true?

• Options
    I vote myth.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    I believe it's a myth
    "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought so! Thanks! 
  • Options

I vote myth.

I vote myth too, but if theBorg says it is so, then it is so. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    I have a high cervix and tilted uterus and my RE actually recommended elevating my hips for about 10 minutes following bd. So there's clearly no scientific proof, but it makes me feel better so I do.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! 
  • Options
    Couldn't hurt! And who doesn't want to stay in bed for an extra 10 minutes? Lol
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    10 - 15 minutes is probably fine, if it makes you feel better.  Just make sure you still go pee after.  Getting a UTI puts a pretty big damper on TTC.
    Me: 30 DH: 35 
    TTC #1 - Jan 2015
    BFP on 5/13/15
    DD born 1/24/16
    TTC #2 - Jun 2017
    BFP on 8/24/17
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    lilcip said:

I have been doing a little bit of reading online and I read that after sex you should stay in bed and lay down for a little bit. Is this a myth or is there some truth to that?

Thanks, ladies! 

Did you actually read it somewhere? Or are your getting your information from Keeping up with the Kardashians?
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

lilcip said:

Thanks, ladies! 

Did you actually read it somewhere? Or are your getting your information from Keeping up with the Kardashians?
    I was curious and I actually just found it on webmd.
    My TTC History:
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    KatWAG said:

lilcip said:

Thanks, ladies! 

Yeah, when we first started TTC that's almost always on the list of advice on websites.

Granted, this is for an IUI and it only says it might help.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options

KatWAG said:

lilcip said:

Thanks, ladies! 

So you clearly didn't catch the reference. Its okay, I will explain.

In a recent episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians. Kim is laying in bed, explaining to her family how much sex she is having and that she has to lay down for 10 minutes after every time.

• Options
    KatWAG said:

KatWAG said:

lilcip said:

Thanks, ladies! 

In a recent episode of Keeping up with the Kardashians. Kim is laying in bed, explaining to her family how much sex she is having and that she has to lay down for 10 minutes after every time.

hah.  no, don't watch that show. :)
    My TTC History:

My Charts since 2009

• Options

KatWAG said:

KatWAG said:

lilcip said:

Thanks, ladies! 

hah.  no, don't watch that show. :)

Its a great way to kill a sunday afternoon. I highly recommend it
  • Options

Couldn't hurt! And who doesn't want to stay in bed for an extra 10 minutes? Lol

It could if you get a UTI.
  • Options
    I was told to elevate my hips for 10 minutes after sex by my sister. It probably doesn't do anything, but it makes me feel better.
  • Options
    I get up to pee right away.
  • Options
    I did IUI twice and the fertility doc has you lay there still for 10 min afterwards so I think there's something to it! Especially since the 2nd one worked for me!
  • Options

I was told to elevate my hips for 10 minutes after sex by my sister. It probably doesn't do anything, but it makes me feel better.

That's how you get a UTI.
  • Options
    I can't help but put my legs up and lay there for 10 min too. It just feels like it's helping. 
  • Options
    Yea I think (or at least hope) we all logically know that. I think people just wait because it feels like they're doing something. It's more about the psychological need to control the situation-- even though, it's not actually doing anything,  ha 
  • Options
    Jesus, I need a drink. Science ladies, science.

@PrimRoseMama want to join!?
  • Options
    27alex said:

Jesus, I need a drink. Science ladies, science.

@PrimRoseMama want to join!?

:beer:

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I was given that advice as well when I was TTC. Didn't find out it could cause UTIs until I came here. Thankfully I never got one. I chalk it up to newbie naivete. *shrugs*
  • Options
    teeveemom said:

Yea I think (or at least hope) we all logically know that. I think people just wait because it feels like they're doing something. It's more about the psychological need to control the situation-- even though, it's not actually doing anything,  ha 

I agree!
  • Options
    I lay in bed for a long time after sex before getting up and NEVER have gotten a UTI.
  • Options

I lay in bed for a long time after sex before getting up and NEVER have gotten a UTI.

That doesn't mean others won't.
  • Options
    But every body is different. I guess it's whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you don't want to lay in bed don't. If you'd like to lay there then go for it.
  • Options

But every body is different. I guess it's whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you don't want to lay in bed don't. If you'd like to lay there then go for it.

The point is to let others know it doesn't up your chances of getting pregnant but it does up your chances of getting a UTI. Advice that works for the majority of people is what's needed here.
  • Options
    How do you know it doesn't help?
  • Options

Is it weird that the only sex talk my mom had with me was to always pee before and after sex so I didn't get a UTI?

Is it weird that the only sex talk my mom ever had with me was to hold a tic-tac between my knees? 
    Wait, what? Lol
    Me: 28, DH: 28
    Diagnosed with PCOS: Summer 2007
    Married: July 2013
    Began TTC: June 2015

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/58d258

• Options

Is it weird that the only sex talk my mom had with me was to always pee before and after sex so I didn't get a UTI?

Is it weird that the only sex talk my mom ever had with me was to hold a tic-tac between my knees? 
    Wait, what? Lol
    So I wouldn't get pregnant lol I should mention my mom is super old school. One of her favorite phrases is "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free". 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

• Options

Wait, what? Lol
    So I wouldn't get pregnant lol I should mention my mom is super old school. One of her favorite phrases is "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free". 
    Oh, that makes sense now. I'm home sick today and my brain is functioning at half speed, lol
    Me: 28, DH: 28
    Diagnosed with PCOS: Summer 2007
    Married: July 2013
    Began TTC: June 2015

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/58d258

• Options

How do you know it doesn't help?

Because babies have been made by women not doing this. See...biologically speaking, our bodies and men's bodies are well designed to reproduce. It's an evolutionary feature that helps maintain the human population. Sperm cells can swim on their own, with the help of their flagellum and the explosive nature of a man ejaculated. 

It may make you feel better to lay back to help things along (giving you a sense of control over an otherwise uncontrollable, biological act), but truthfully, by the time you're doing that, those sperm cells have probably already entered the cervix (assuming the man ejaculates as deeply as possible). 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"