Infertility

Starting my journey

hi ladies. Tomorrow is my first appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist. I was filling out my intake forms today and one of them is a form to decline or elect to have genetic screening. My husband and I agree that we would not have an abortion if we knew that we were pregnant with a child with disabilities.... So my question is do we really need it? What is the purpose of it? Obviously we aren't pregnant now but if they found we were carriers for a genetic disorder how does that help us? Thanks in advance

Re: Starting my journey

• @mishmosh118 My husband and I both had family prep screening via counsyl (https://www.counsyl.com/) and I'm so happy that we did. We learned a lot and it has helped navigate our IVF process. We had a PGD probe designed specifically for a gene we both carry as well as PGS testing on all our embryos. Out of our 10 embryos that were biopsied, only 2 are usable for IVF. The PGD probe detected embryos that were affected and the PGS detected chromosome abnormalities in other embryos. Embryos that have chromosome abnormalities are not likely to be successful in IVF.
    *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
    "Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it" 
    --Helen Keller 

4 miscarriages: Nov 2009,  Jan 2011, Sept 2011,  Oct 2012
    IVF Round 1:
    3/4/15: Egg Retrieval
    16 Eggs Retrieved -- 15 Fertilized via ICSI -- 10 Blastocysts Biopsied for PGD & PGS -- 2 (male) Blastocysts Remain for Transfer
    5/13/15: FET -- 5/26/15: BFN
    CANCELLED IVF Round 2.

Living a happy, child-free life with my best friend.
    *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
  • We did the genetic testing, also through that website. I'm very happy that we did. We are also in the beginning process of everything and it's very confusing etc. But I'm glad we did that.
  • Loading the player...
  • my husband and i had genetic testing and we are so greatful that we did.  it turns out we are both carriers for SLO syndrome.  we just had our intake interview with Reprogenetics this past week and will start the process of having the test written so when we are ready for IVF we can start right away instead of having to wait the few months to have the test written.  
  • @adamkerryweds - we did the same thing - we had the probe made before beginning the IVF process. We were told that there is always a very small chance that a probe cannot be made, so we decided to make sure the test could be made before moving forward. We had to get swab samples from each of our parents in order for the probe to be made - was this the same process for you?
    "Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it" 
    --Helen Keller 

4 miscarriages: Nov 2009,  Jan 2011, Sept 2011,  Oct 2012
    IVF Round 1:
    3/4/15: Egg Retrieval
    16 Eggs Retrieved -- 15 Fertilized via ICSI -- 10 Blastocysts Biopsied for PGD & PGS -- 2 (male) Blastocysts Remain for Transfer
    5/13/15: FET -- 5/26/15: BFN
    CANCELLED IVF Round 2.

Living a happy, child-free life with my best friend.
  • @hopeful16 yes this is the saaaame process for us.  did you go through reprogenetics?  
  • My husband and I also elected to have PGD testing and PGS testing. The PGD testing we're doing is for a genetic mutation called Lynch Syndrome. This makes you predisposed for colorectal cancer, and unfortunately my husband has the mutation and is battling Stage IV colon cancer now.

I'm on Day 4 of my injections, with an ultrasound tomorrow. Retrieval is estimated to be in about a week. I'm very anxious about how many viable embryos we'll be left with at the end of the process, and would love to hear other ladies' numbers. I'll keep you all posted with mine once we get our results!

Best of luck to you all!!
  • We did it to i have robertsonian translocation my chromosomes 22 and 13 r connected which is why I have had so many miscarriages. We had 9 eggs only 1 was good. We do transfer on Monday. Good luck with everything best of luck!