Baby Names

I'm sure this has been discussed before but (re: same initial trend)

SidraJediSidraJedi member
edited March 2015 in Baby Names
So I am due with #2 in August. We are team green. DD's name starts with O, our top girl name choice starts with A and is nothing like DD's name. Our top boy name choice however starts with O. We plan to have other children but what if we don't? I do not like the same initial trend but is it okay if you do it by accident? How hard do you side eye folks with two kids and the same initials?

I really love this name and so does DH so part of me doesn't care but I personally hate the trend and it's my only problem with picking a boy's name right now.

Eta: posted early
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I'm sure this has been discussed before but (re: same initial trend)

• I may be a dork, but I actually love same initial sibsets. I am kinda jealous I wasn't able to do it. If you love the name, don't worry about what anyone else thinks. But I would think of you did have any more kids you would have to continue the trend so the other child doesn't feel left out.
  • I don't think it's a big deal for two kids, especially if the names sound pretty different. Three it becomes bad, I think.

But I didn't use a name I liked for my second because I didn't want them to have the same first initial...but objectively I don't think it's a big deal

• Loading the player...
  • Okay. Thanks for te feedback so far.

I will definitely not be naming #3 an O name. My parents are M's and me and my sister were M's and my brother is an E. I don't think it was ever weird for us as kids but as a parent I feel silly.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I think it's fine.
  • My grandparents and parents generation were all D's. My generation not a single D. And so far in my daughters generation there are 2 kids, and 2 D's. I think it's kind of cool. Especially because I had the first child, and my to 2 names for her were A and J. We some how ended up with a D, complete accident
  • Two is happenstance, three or more is cultish. 
  • I don't think anything about it with two. I wouldn't do it with three. My cousin has 2 Ms and an S. I don't think twice about it.

• I don't think it matters unless you are spelling their names wrong just so they all start with the same letter.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Story: I was at a lab having bloodwork done and had a friend with me. The subject of the Duggars came up. My friend was making a joke or criticism about the T.V. family having 17 kids whose names all start with J. The lab tech got real quiet. We asked what was wrong. He was quiet for the longest time then softly said, "I have 17 kids." We said, "Okay, but their names don't all start with J." They do! He has 17 kids and their names all start with J!!! Hand to God, I am not making this up. What are the odds?

Anyway, it's not a trend I care for but if you do it at least please don't have 17.
  • I have 2 daughters, Riley and Rowan. We didn't intentionally go for R names, it just happened to be the names we liked best when they were both born. Now that we have another baby on the way R names are off limits. I think two is ok, even if you don't wind up having another kid down the road.
  • Two is happenstance, three or more is cultish. 

This.
  • Lol @ rudetomata and Monilee1017

I think my limit would be 6 children and I would have to kick my own ass if they had any kind of theme names especially the same initial!

Thanks for all of the opinions! I still feel a little weird about it but I'm starting to realize that the first two generally get a pass and the third is when folks start to side-eye. I feel a little better.
  • I think having two names that start with O is fine, but I would make sure both kids have middle names that start with different letters. It can get very confusing when they get older and start getting mail if their initials are exactly the same. Both my sister's kids are M's (no middle name) and they've had a few mix ups - nothing serious, but still. They're in their pharmacy's system as 'Boy K (last name) and 'Girl K' now, after a medicine mix up.

A girl in my primary school had loads of siblings (I think they were 9 in all) and all the girls' names started with L and all the boys' names with a W (just like their parents). It was kind of creepy, to be honest. It always felt that it sort of took away some of their individuality. But like others have already said, it's fine if it's just two kids. :)
  • I'm currently expecting number 2, and my daughters name starts with a R. When we were picking out names the top boy name on our list started with a R also and it stresses me out because I loved the name but didn't want two R's. But it's a girl anyway, so I didn't have to stress anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"