October 2015 Moms
Options

Brushing your Teeth

I have had the most horrible time trying to brush my teeth with toothpaste. When I try to brush my teeth I throw up violently. Has anyone had any success trying to find an alternative way to get fresh breath and clean teeth?

Re: Brushing your Teeth

• Options
    I can't brush my tongue, so I use mouthwash a few times a day and floss twice a day on top of brushing. I use a sonic care toothbrush and it has a smaller head. When I used a regular toothbrush on vacation it was worse.
  • Options
    I've been noticing some blood when I spit into the sink now.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everyone else I've talked to says brushing teeth at night is wretched. Yesterday I had to run outside and deep breath to not vomit. I've heard cinnamon toothpaste may help, that the mint impacts the nausea. I haven't switched because I adore my sensodine but may try it.
    fail halloween fall costume minions GIF
  • Options
    I used my son's berry flavored toothpaste. It's disgusting but for some reason doesn't gag me the way mint does.
  • Options
    I can't brush my tongue either. The last time I tried I ended up peeing my pants while I puked. I hadn't heard about the cinnamon...worth a try.
  • Options
    Brushing my tongue makes me puke too! I've got a dentist appointment for a cleaning because my gums bleed and are super sensitive. Biotene mouthwash helps keep bacteria down and doesn't burn or make me sick. It's a little more than crest but it's worth it
  • Options
    Ugh, same here. Brushing my teeth makes me gag uncontrollably. Vomit too. Ill definitely try the cinnamon or children's toothpaste.
  • Options
    I'm okay brushing my teeth in the morning, but when I brush at night I have to be very careful not to brush my tongue and not to go too far back. It makes me gag and I've almost thrown up a few times. I might try cinnamon toothpaste at night, mint just really makes me sick.
  • Options
    I'm the same way! I get so sick seconds after I start. I start gaging and then I'm throwing up for at least 10 minutes. Def gonna try cinnamon toothpaste!
  • Options
    I tried cinnamon with my last pregnancy and it didn't help. I puke every morning brushing my teeth and I'm 11w 5d. If I try to brush after I puke it just makes it worse and mouth wash makes me vomit too. I just figured I'm screwed til I get over the nausea phase or all my teeth will fall out by the end of my pregnancy, lol.
  • Options
    Oh i no this feeling way to well. Another mum recommended use childrens toothpaste, tried it. Dosent make u gag! So much better than normal toothpaste.
  • Options
    I hate brushing my teeth! I throw up almost every time.i thought it was because of brushing my tongue so I've skipped it a few times and nope it's just the act of brushing my teeth or maybe just the timing? I've totally thrown up before without any "cause" like a smell or something.
  • Options
    I am a dental hygienist with the same problem. Try using a smaller toothbrush head (maybe a children's even). The bigger heads cause me to gag and I can access my teeth better with the smaller head without hitting the gag spots. Brushing the plaque off the teeth is most important. If you cannot use toothpaste that is ok as long as you are using a toothbrush to remove the plaque. The tartar control toothpaste does help with minimalizing calculus (tartar) buildup and the fluoride will help prevent cavities if you can use it. Try to use toothpaste when you can. Calculus is plaque that has hardened (calcified) and causes gum inflammation. This should be removed by your hygienist. Sometimes if you haven't had a professional cleaning in a while, the calculus buildup under the gums causes more problems when you become pregnant because of the hormones. So try scheduling a professional cleaning. Also make sure your toothpaste is approved by the ADA (American Dental Association), that means it does what it says on the box. It will have a small box in the lower corner with ADA in a tiny square. Some pregnant women will experience more bleeding and swollen gums (pregnancy gingivitis) because of hormones. Keeping the plaque (soft deposit) off of the gums as best as you can will help to minimalize the bleeding, as plaque is an irritant. So will getting professional cleanings (recommended every 6 months) so the hygienist can remove the calculus that you cannot remove at home with your toothbrush. Sometimes if the bleeding is bad, you may want to get your teeth cleaned more often than 6 months (like every 4 or even 3 months while pregnant) to help reduce the inflammation. Sorry for the long post but I hope I helped!
  • Options
    Also, if you go to the dentist for a cleaning or for any reason, remember to tell them you are pregnant. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"