Infertility

Any advice for a IVF newbie for the trigger shot?

Doing my first IVF cycle currently (have done 9 IUIs over the last several years with 6 of them medicated). Anyway, the shots that I give myself in the tummy aren't so bad but I'm seriously freaking out over the 1.5 inch long needle the husband has to put in my butt next week. When I was doing IUI, the trigger was in the tummy. We had a diabetic cat so he's dealt with insulin syringes but it's been awhile.

Any advice or things for me to do to make it less stressful? Anything he can practice on? The nurse mentioned an orange.

The video shows the needle going in fast which freaks me out. I go kind of slow with the tummy shots.

Re: Any advice for a IVF newbie for the trigger shot?

• I'm currently doing progesterone shots now. My husband does them for me and he's just as good if not better than the nurses who take blood at the office!

I ice for (no joke) about 20 mins before my shot. That may seem a little excessive but I'm happy when I can't feel it!!!! I lay down for the shot as well which relaxes me a bit and I tend to hold onto a pillow. It seems the worst part for me is the pressure since he has to press down on the syringe because of the oil. It's never fun but it'll just become part of the routine.

The dr. also advised me to walk and rub the area after for about 10 minutes. That will help to get the progesterone oil smoothed out, otherwise you get lumps! Ugh, the last things we need! : )

Good luck! Wishing you the best!

Hope this helps a little!

• CML11CML11 member
    ***lurking****

@Blvinhope just an FYI I got lumps from doing ice my first 2 cycles. The next I used a heating pad prior to the shot and didn't have a problem with lumps this time. Plus I think it helped to absorb into the muscle much better. Really the pain pinch wasn't too different, but I'd suggest going with a fast needle stick. I would swear a bunch when DH went slow. Lol
    Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • @CML11

I think everyone handles it differently. Glad the heat worked for you but my Dr.s have advised not to use heat and to use ice only. I only have gotten lumps if I've fallen asleep after without walking or at least rubbing the area. The fast needle stick certainly helps though. My husband is basically a pro at this point!

:D
  • CML11CML11 member
    ***lurking***

@Blvinhope that's interesting your doc advised against this. I guess each RE does things a little different. :)
  • I survived! I heated the area for about 10 minutes prior and made the husband practice on an orange numerous times beforehand. I barely felt a thing! It was less uncomfortable than all the tummy shots I've been giving myself. We decided not to do a countdown so I wouldn't know.

I hope to never have to do it again, but if I do, I'll be even more brave.