1st Trimester
Options

Ovarian Cyst & Torsion?

I am 9 weeks along. This past weekend I went to the ER with extreme right side pain... after a long night with ultrasounds, an MRI, blood tests, etc they said that I had a 6cm ovarian cyst that had twisted my ovary around twice (an ovarian torsion).  I had to have emergency surgery right away.  The scenerios they were giving me were quite scary but luckily they were able to go in and just untwist the ovary.  They left the cyst in tact because it is supporting the pregnancy and if they were to remove it we could have lost the baby.  I feel lucky that everything turned out ok but I'm so nervous its going to happen again. Has anyone else had this?  Do you know if/when the cyst will shrink down so I don't have to worry about this the entire pregnancy?  I feel like I am walking on eggshells now trying not to "overdo" anything (which is tough because I am usually chasing after my 2 yr old toddler!).  Any thoughts or encouragement are much appreciated!

Re: Ovarian Cyst & Torsion?

• Options
    Did the doctor tell you the cyst would shrink down? Once they're a certain size that is highly unlikely to happen and surgery is generally required to remove them. I've heard of doctors not wanting to do that surgery until after the baby is born, but generally they watch it really closely until then to make sure it's not going to twist the ovary again.
  • Options

The Dr didn't promise it would shrink down but just said it's likely to.  Do you know what they breaking point of size is until they don't shrink?  Like do they have to be under a certain number of cm to shrink?

He also said if they have to remove it they would wait until the 2nd trimester once the placenta is more established. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"