1st Trimester

Cold cuts

Does anyone one eat cold cuts or is it still a big no no?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Answers

• No due to listeria.
  • Loading the player...
  • Eat them. You are more likely to get listeria from cantaloupe or spinach.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I ate them regularly while pregnant. Nothing better than a good sub.
  • NittanyPANittanyPA member
    edited March 2015
    Eat the hoagie. Listeria can come
    From a million things. If you're concerned you cod always heat it up!
  • Yum, turkey meat.
  • It's fine, just pay attention to local warnings for listeria.

Been enjoying lots of subway, sushi, sashimi, and blue-rare steak all pregnancy, baby totally fine!
  • I haven't held back. I worry in the back of my mind when I do indulge but it's not often that I eat cold cuts anyway.
  • I think it's fine. You could always heat it up or toast it.
  • From what I've learned, it's actually toxoplasma that's the main risk with eating cold cuts. Toxoplasma dies if you freeze the meat, listeria doesn't.
    I avoided cold cuts during my pregnancy, mostly because I don't really eat a lot of meat anyway so it wasn't a big deal for me to give it up. If you are having doubts about it, talk to your OB to help you decide.
  • Oh, my goodness...  I will be so excited if I talk to my doctor and she okays an italian sandwich.  I was so sad to see cold cuts on the list of foods to avoid!
  • Nope, I skip it!
  • My OB said the cold cuts packaged in the plastic containers. But I still eat any kind.
  • Alyllyra said:

From what I've learned, it's actually toxoplasma that's the main risk with eating cold cuts. Toxoplasma dies if you freeze the meat, listeria doesn't.
    I avoided cold cuts during my pregnancy, mostly because I don't really eat a lot of meat anyway so it wasn't a big deal for me to give it up. If you are having doubts about it, talk to your OB to help you decide.

Toxoplasmosis is normally what people fear from cat feces. I have not heard of it with food
  • Eat your sandwich girl. 
  • The last 3 major outbreaks of listeria were from cantaloupe, caramel apples, and ice cream.
  • Alyllyra said:

From what I've learned, it's actually toxoplasma that's the main risk with eating cold cuts. Toxoplasma dies if you freeze the meat, listeria doesn't.

Toxoplasmosis is normally what people fear from cat feces. I have not heard of it with food
    I'm in no way an expert on this, but it's what's stated in all official pregnancy guidelines here in Sweden so I just followed those recommendations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"