April 2014 Moms

Trying to ditch the paci

Ds gave up the paci on his own at 4 months, so this is new to me. Dd is not yet 11 months, and she only gets the pacifier for naps and bedtime now. I really want to get rid of it all the way, but it's how she puts herself to sleep at night and I'm worried what will happen if I do. I've tried to help her et attached to another object, like ds always has been, but she has no interest.

Any tips or experience is welcome! I really want to end the dependence, but with as few sleep issues as possible.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Trying to ditch the paci

• This LO loves them too, but her big sister never did. She's very attached to a singing giraffe too (fisher price sing & soothe). We now only let her have it in the crib or car seat and when it is the only thing to keep her happy (aka 5pm to bedtime).

She will occasionally fall asleep without it, but I would offer it when she was 90% out wnywa- I've stopped doing that. They'll get there.

My sister three hers away and never wanted another one when there was a hair stuck on it. My cousin had her DD bring them in a bag to Santa so he 'could give them to the other babies' and that worked, though she was old enough to understand that at the time.
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • DD also only uses the pacifier during naps and bedtime (though occasionally she finds one and will pop it in)... but I have no problems letting her keep the habit for a little while longer. So I guess I don't have any advice... do you really feel it is important to get rid of it now? Just curious, not being judgey :)

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Loading the player...
  • DD also only uses the pacifier during naps and bedtime (though occasionally she finds one and will pop it in)... but I have no problems letting her keep the habit for a little while longer. So I guess I don't have any advice... do you really feel it is important to get rid of it now? Just curious, not being judgey :)

I just know from my experience with my first that the older they get the harder it gets for them to change habits. With both kids I try to be proactive before something becomes an immediate need, that way it's not as hard of a transition for them. It just makes it easier on all of us in the long run
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would rather ditch it now before it gets too late where LO is overly attached. Last week we started limiting it to naps and at night. So far it has been a breeze. As long as LO doesn't see it, she doesn't miss it. I know naps are going to be hard when we try that but I'm not worried about that yet
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"