April 2014 Moms

Refusing Formula AND WM!

So my 11 1/2 month old has slowly lowering her formula intake the past few weeks to the point she's been only having about 15oz at best of formula a day.  But I was never too worried because she eats solids great, and we made sure to give her a baby yogurt everyday to make up for the calcium/vitamin D.  I started introducing WM last week by mixing 4oz of formula with 2oz of WM in each bottle, which she was drinking again maybe 15oz a day total.  But the past 2 days she's been refusing the bottle completely.  Today my husband is home with her and he said every time he's tried giving her the bottle all day, and she cries and swats it away every time.  So he tried putting just WM in her sippy cup and she takes one sip, shakes her head and throws the cup on the floor!  I don't know what to do now.  She's refusing bottle and sippy!  She doesn't have a fever and doesn't seem sick.  She's eating solid foods normally.  I told my husband to give her a yogurt after lunch, but I guess it was too close to lunch because she ended up throwing everything up =(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  My son who is almost 3 went down this path when he was a baby and he is a skinny/small little 27 lb almost 3 yr old who only drinks 1 smoothie before bed (hates milk).  He's struggled to put on weight since he was a baby, and I know part of it has to do with hating milk/formula since he was a baby too.  =(

Re: Refusing Formula AND WM!

• My cousin's son went through this when he was about 15 months; he hated milk. She increased the amount of dairy products he was eating to make up for it.
  • Cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. all of these can be substitute or kids who don't like to drink milk
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You don't have to eat/drink dairy to be heathy. Try almond milk? And just make sure to offer lots of solid proteins.
  • We are having similiar problems. Ds is 11.5 months and hasn't drank very much formula at all. We tried wcm today and he drank more than he would of formula. Whoo hoo! Could you try warming it a little? That helped my little guy.

@Pearlvirus have you tried almond milk? Dumb question but...Just wondering if it has the same nutrients as cow's milk?

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Bad advice but I would do it: put some type of sweetener in it? Chocolate milk?
  • Cortiz253 said:

Bad advice but I would do it: put some type of sweetener in it? Chocolate milk?

It's actually better for them to not have any milk. Chocolate milk has as much sugar as soda.

The biggrst thing to be careful of with almond, soy, or coconut milk is that it doesn't have the fat of WCM, so you need to make the up somewhere else in their diet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If she threw up, it's possible she actually is sick. Some babies are just tough and don't show it as much. It took me a few episodes of throwing up to realize that my LO was actually sick and hadn't just eaten too much bc otherwise there were no symptoms.

And maybe it's obvious, but while you're figuring it out, try to also get her to at least drink water so that she's hydrated.
  • @Katy0525 yes, I'm lactose intolerant and we eat semi-paleo so we don't keep much dairy in the house. My LO digs the unsweetened almond milk! But no, it does not have the same nutrition as WCM, so you have to make sure and get them more fat and protein other ways. Fortunately my LO is a meat eating maniac. She also eats loads of avocado and nut butters. The only dairy she has had is kefir / yogurt fruit smoothies, which she loooooves. Maybe those yogurt pouches are a good option?
  • Yes! Lo actually took my friend's son's sippy cup when we were having a play date and drank some almond milk. He liked it a lot so I waa just wondering about it. Ds seems to love yogurt so we have been giving him that.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Thanks for all the advice guys.  So in the past 2 days she's getting back up to her 16oz intake.  I changed things up a little which seems to work.  It looks like she wants either straight WM in a bottle or straight formula in the bottle, but no mix!  She hates the mixing!  So we give her 2 bottles of just WM and 2 bottles of just formula and she is back to averaging about 16oz or so.  I also changed her nipple back to the stage 3 Dr. Browns nipple, since the stage 4 one (9mths+) seems to make her drink too fast and choke, which I think was also part of the reason she would stop and not take anymore.  I'm not sure why a 9mth+ nipple would be so fast for her still at this age, but whatever.  As long as she's back up to the 16oz, I can't complain!  I still make sure to give her at least 1 baby Stonyfield Yo Baby or Yo Toddler yogurt a day as well.  So I know she's getting her calcium/vitamin D and fat needs. 

In the next few weeks I'm going to see if she likes those Pro Bug Kefir pouches, but I tried them on my almost 3 year old in the past, and he hated them!  I'm also thinking of mixing strawberries and WM in my nutribullet and seeing if she'll like the taste of it better than just plain WM.

• @Katy0525 yes, I'm lactose intolerant and we eat semi-paleo so we don't keep much dairy in the house. My LO digs the unsweetened almond milk! But no, it does not have the same nutrition as WCM, so you have to make sure and get them more fat and protein other ways. Fortunately my LO is a meat eating maniac. She also eats loads of avocado and nut butters. The only dairy she has had is kefir / yogurt fruit smoothies, which she loooooves. Maybe those yogurt pouches are a good option?

@Pearlvirus just want to say we eat semi paleo as well... Good to hear we are not alone! Trying to decide what to give her after 12 months; real milk or almond milk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"