1st Trimester
Options

Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

Here's my situation:  We've known for a few weeks that I'm pregnant. According to my LMP I should be 8 weeks, but according to an u/s I'm only measuring 6w 6d. Last Wednesday, I woke up with 4 light pink spots of blood and some mild cramping. Because of an unfortunate event the evening before, I decided to go to the ER and make sure everything was okay. This is my third baby, and I never experienced blood or cramping with my first two. After hours in the ER, multiple blood tests, both types of u/s, I was told that I was in the early stages of miscarriage, that the baby was way too low to have survived, and that I did not "intake enough" to support myself and a baby. The dr. prescribed me Cytotec and Tylenol w/codeine to help "push the miscarriage along at home." I was obviously devastated. Even though this baby was a huge surprise, that didn't mean I wanted it ANY less than my first two children. They sent in the discharge nurse (who was pregnant, nothing like making me feel worse.) She went over the prescriptions with me. I asked her if there was any chance at all that maybe it was just too early to see the heartbeat and she told me that if there was even a small chance...it would be SO TINY. So, after leaving the ER and crying my eyes out all day, I decided I wasn't going to use the prescriptions. I called my ob and explained to them what I had been told and requested another u/s. They originally told me that the ER rarely prescribes Cytotec unless they are CERTAIN of a miscarriage, but they scheduled it for a week out anyway. So, we very anxiously waited a week, unsure of whether or not this little baby would make it. I prayed everyday, and asked what few family members that we had told to please pray for us as well. It was the worst week of my entire life. Finally this past Wednesday arrived and we were off to the u/s. Within 2 minutes...HEARTBEAT! I immediately broke into tears and was gasping for my next breath. I just knew it! And the heartbeat was strong, 118bpm. I measured at 6wks 2days. We were in shock! So we got a few pictures, a nice little dvd of the heartbeat and we were on our way home. I was so relieved but at the same time angered. This careless ER doctor and multiple nurses almost ruined our lives. Had I NOT had a gut feeling, and followed it, we would be grieving our baby right now instead of celebrating what's to come. For the first few days after being told I was miscarrying, I wouldn't even take off my hospital band...I felt attached to it...as though it had somehow replaced what they said I had "lost." I've had a few nightmares the last few days of basically re-living the whole experience. I wake up in a cold sweat almost in tears, and my heart feels the pain it felt when I heard the word "miscarriage." It's been 4 days since we got the GOOD news, only 11 since the WRONG BAD news, but I can't seem to shake the anger and anxiety they've caused me. I now wake up every morning wondering if the slightest little pain or discomfort is actually a miscarriage happening. How do I move forward? I trusted these people, and in 8 months I have to go BACK to this hospital to deliver our baby, how can I trust them again? My husband and I actually talked a lot about this and decided that once the baby is born, we are going to send a picture of our baby, the prescription and the papers they gave me on a "missed abortion" to this doctor so that maybe, just maybe next time she will re-consider prescribing Cytotec to a woman who's only had one opinion. A big part of waiting to use the Cytotec came from the fact I had read on so many pages online of other moms who didn't get a heartbeat at 6,7,8, even9 weeks....and that really helped push my decision to get a second opinion. I want to enjoy this pregnancy, not fear it. Please help!

Re: Misdiagnosed Miscarriage

• Options
    Unfortunately these kind of stories are all to regular. ER are not really equip to help in the early stages of pregnancy. They lack the experience of an OB, I would rather wait it out and see my OB than go to ER. I'm so happy for you. Congrats!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree the weeks don't make sense. But I'm no doctor. Amazing to me that you women are supposed to be on here for support and then you bash my situation. I posted my story to get SUPPORT, not to be questioned. I have enough of that going on.
  • Options
    chris1876 said:

I agree the weeks don't make sense. But I'm no doctor. Amazing to me that you women are supposed to be on here for support and then you bash my situation. I posted my story to get SUPPORT, not to be questioned. I have enough of that going on.

We did support you? :-?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    chris1876 said:

I thought all the PPs were very respectful with their advice. Nobody insulted you or acted like you were stupid for going to the ER. People gave you some great advice for future reference in case, God forbid, you have to deal with something like this again.

As for the weeks thing, that is something you should ask your doctor about. It's a very strange discrepancy which is why people brought it up. I know if it was me, I would want to know what was up.

Good luck and hope the rest of your pregnancy is completely boring!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I tried calling my doctor this morning to get some better answers, but she's out for 2 weeks...the waiting game is BRUTAL...and honestly there's not a ton of success stories in this type of situation....
  • Options
    So when did you get your positive test?... that could help give you some idea on the odd dates.
  • Options
    chris1876 said:

This response is completely confusing, all the response were polite and helpful. The people who mentioned the timing frame, was to give you a heads up to follow that up. You snapped here for no reason.
  • Options
    I'm so happy for you! Congrats!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"