High-Risk Pregnancy

Protein in urine

I am 29 weeks. Friday was my glucose test and appt. I have anxiety so asked if I could wait to get Bp taken at end of appt. when the dr came in she told me I had 2+ protein in my urine and she was going to order a pre-e blood test. Then we had the regular appt and everything was good with weight, baby was measuring right on and hb was good. Then the nurse came in and took my blood pressure and it was 122/80. For me that is excellent at a dr office because of my anxiety. I take my own blood pressure at home twice a day and it usually is at 115/62 - around there. So then the doctor came back in and said she wasn't going to send in my blood work because my blood pressure was great and she wasn't concerned --- but now I am!!!!

Does anyone else have a similar experience? This is my 3rd baby and I have never had pre-e.
Lucky Mommy to:
Zoë Elizabeth|11.19.2007 & Finnegan Charles|05.14.2010

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage

Re: Protein in urine

• I wouldn't worry to much if your Dr isn't. I have other medical issues so I have +4 protein and my bp has been steady 140's over high 80's I sometimes get a 160 something over 90 something. My Dr told me that they usually don't worry as long as your higher number is under 150/160 and your lower number is under 90. I did have blood work and mine came back ok, but honestly you'll cause yourself more anxiety if you worry , again if Dr isn't worried I wouldn't. You know yourself best if you feel not your norm they will always take you in and see you. Good luck
  • If anything I would have asked to do a 24 hour urine catch to get a real number...not just a dipstick number.

You CAN have protein in the urine for reasons other than Pre-E.  You could be a little dehydrated, thus concentrating the urine. 

The biggest things to do are eat healthy and keep going to your appointments.

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

• Loading the player...
  • there has to be a good bit of protein to be considered pre-e as there is a threshold, and your bp doesn't fit. Has to be consistently over 140/90. I wouldn't worry. They wouldn't do a 24 he urine test without high bp. Other symptoms include headaches, blurry vision, lots of swelling, and sudden large weight gain.
  • Long story short ... My baby has Gastroschisis so at 33 weeks they transfered my care to a children's hospital ( where he will be delivered and stay in nicu). At my last appointment my regular ob doctor found high BP and protein in my urine. They sent me to the hospital to have blood work done. It showed positive for pre-e. So my doctor told me to take the labs to the new doctor the next day. So I did that and that doctor was not concerned about the protein or my giant legs that looked like tree trunks. I had 2 more appointments with that doctor and they kept telling me I was fine. At 35w5d I was so swollen I went to the hospital where I'll deliver and they admitted me for pre-e. I am now on bed rest in antepartum care from 35w5d until 37w1d when I will be induced. Long story short if you feel like something is wrong get a second opinion especially with pre-e.