April 2014 Moms

Still pumping- accomodations vent

I have to go to training at a hotel for the next two weeks. It's just across town, so I won't stay over. I called to ask about space to pump. The woman at the front desk was like, "oh, yeah, you're all set. There's a restroom not 2 feet from the meeting room".
Me: dumbfounded silence. "Does the door lock and is it sanitary? We're talking about food for a baby"
Front desk: oh yeah, there's locks
Me: on the whole bathroom, or just the toilet stalls? What about a power source?
Her: oh, no, not the whole thing. Just the stalls. There are plugs.
Me: I don't think that will work. I don't want to be in an open restroom with my colleagues and my breasts exposed.
Her: well you could reserve a room.
Me: I live 10 minutes away, I won't be staying at the hotel. Can I talk to management?
She puts me through. No answer.

AYFKM? Let's think about your proposals, because you've just suggested (1) why don't you make your baby's dinner in a toilet stall? Would you eat something prepared in a toilet stall? Didn't think so. (2) you can prep it by the bathroom sink then. Well, if I *had* to, I could eat lunch prepared at a bathroom sink so lets run with that. Would you prep that lunch standing topless while your colleagues breeze by? Yeah, didn't think so. FAIL!!

Fortunately I live 10 minutes away so I can drive home to pump (down to once a day). Less than ideal, but it works. Also, front desk lady- are you serious with yourself? Really?
*Married 10.10.08*
TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14

Re: Still pumping- accomodations vent

• I ran into this twice so far when I had to go out of town for conferences. It was really difficult... especially when you are stuck in an airport or on a plane for half the day. Luckily airports tend to have a few "family"restrooms around where you can lock the door and pump. A bathroom isn't ideal, but really you are pumping directly into a clean bottle and your hands should be clean, so there isn't anything unsanitary about it...just the surroundings which you and your equipment aren't actually touching. It sounds gross but really isn't. The hardest time I had was when I got on a plane at 6am, reached my destination and had to go straight into the conference at 9am-5pm. Luckily I talked to the front desk during lunchtime and they had a small private restroom for employees only that I was allowed to use.

March siggy challenge: Dream job = Playing with wolves

• Oh I've had to travel too- not with this LO though. It actually worked out great for me because the plane was relatively empty- I told the gate agent that I would be pumping in flight and to please let the flight attendants know so that they wouldn't think I was a terrorist or something when I hid in the restroom for 20 minutes with a machine running- they moved me to an empty row and I could just pump in my seat with a cover on.

Other conference centers have given me access to an empty 1st floor hotel room with no charge. It just seems like a major hotel chain should be better able to handle this than, "oh, there's a bathroom!" Federal laws require employers of 50+ to have a non-bathroom space available to employees.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Loading the player...
  • You pumped on the plane! I wish I had the balls to do that!

• Oh, and it was really fun to see the hotel clerk's face when I handed her two bags of milk to put in their freezer lol.

• ^^ must have been priceless.

My friends mom is a preschool/daycare teacher and admits it skeeved her out at first, but now if she gets a drop on her while feeding the babies she just rubs it in.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • Is there someone from work that can arrange something for you? My work worked with the hotel I was at for training to figure out space for me to pump.
  • I called the coordinator who is from another site and will be staying at the hotel- she said I could use her room. So if there's a day I don't want to run home I'll do that.
    *Married 10.10.08*
  • @ksulli glad you found a solution! I would have been pissed too.
  • The front desk lady has obviously never pumped! Rude!
  • This all reminds me of a few months ago when I pumped on a plane in my seat with my husband next to me but full seats everywhere else. I just kind of hid under my jacket lol. We were on our way to Cancun and I also had to pump in airport bathroom stall as well an empty hotel room I was given to pump in while our hotel room was still getting ready upon arrival. Trying to explain I need somewhere to pump to people who barely speak English is pretty funny :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ridiculous that her best suggestion was to extract your baby's food in a place where people shit.
    But, I have learned people just don't realize what they're saying when it comes to BF/pumping. She was probably just thinking, "oh it's a private place!" Not the mechanics of how effing gross that is.

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"