June 2015 Moms

Favorite Snacks & Body Positivity During Pregnancy

2»

Re: Favorite Snacks & Body Positivity During Pregnancy

• My go to unhealthy snack is Tostitos.. with or without salsa, guac. The crispy ones with all the air bubbles in them are the best. I'm trying to keep them out of our house for awhile.

I'm otherwise loving grapes, and yogurt with fresh berries! Yum.

Can't lie, it is hard to not fit into clothes that fit a month or two ago and see #s on the scale creep (or shoot!) up. Just staying as active as I can and gotta keep in mind that it's all for this awesome baby boy. He needs those "maternal fat stores" for nursing, etc. Our bodies are also pretty resilient and it's amazing how they transform & adapt - before and after baby!
  • Healthy: I LOVE fruit and drinking milk. Unhealthy: Pepsi slushies. And only from a certain store lol. As for positive body image, I'm loving my pregnancy body! I feel more confident showing off my bump and wearing tighter clothes then prepregnancy where I was a little bigger then I'm used to. Embrace your growing self, you're doing amazing things within your body
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been downing fruit, particularly pineapple (so much so that I have those little acid things on the side of my mouth). I still can't eat pizza, which is no fun.
    My biggest unhealthy thing probably has to be lemonade. I can go through a gallon in less than a week... No clue what's up with that!
  • Healthy snack: hard boiled eggs, fruit, peanut butter on a rice cake. I make a sandwich with sliced avocado, tomato, lettuce, and some mayo for lunch or a big snack before a lighter dinner. It's my total obsession. So good. Make sure to salt and pepper the avocado!

Not so great: ALL THE white cheddar pirate's booty. I made the decision to buy the big Costco sized bag and polished it off in 4 days. I also LOVE peanut butter m&ms. I'm into crunchy and salty for sure.

Body image: my chest is bothering me more than my belly. I started off as a 36DD and dress modestly. Now, no bra fits, my rib cage has expanded, and any shirt I wear I feel like people are staring at my giant rack. I feel like a linebacker. I feel like I'm ok with my belly getting big. I have my moments where I am enjoying these changes and some meltdowns over being completely powerless over everything. It's been a big lesson on acceptance and surrendering to this process.
  • @elizab14
    elizab14 said:

Body image: my chest is bothering me more than my belly. I started off as a 36DD and dress modestly. Now, no bra fits, my rib cage has expanded, and any shirt I wear I feel like people are staring at my giant rack. I feel like a linebacker. I feel like I'm ok with my belly getting big. I have my moments where I am enjoying these changes and some meltdowns over being completely powerless over everything. It's been a big lesson on acceptance and surrendering to this process.

THIS.

I have been crazy hot today, so I opted to put on a loose, flowy maxi dress... couldn't really get it over my chest, and when I DID, the "loose" part in the middle was super tight on the ribcage!
  • I am loving apples during pregnancy too (though I am not a fan of the post apple heartburn).

My favorite daily treat is almond milk with raw cocoa powder (high in iron, magnesium, potassium and a few grams of protein) and coconut oil (unrefined organic). Super healthy version of hot chocolate and totally satisfies the chocolate craving.

Unhealthy craving is bagel (although I make it a bit better with cream cheese and lox)
  • Fav unhealthy snack are the giant blueberry muffins from the new coffee shop 2 min from my house and healthy prob apples and peanut butter or smoothies.
  • I feel like we have too many threads currently running with the subject of weight-gain (more specifically dieting) on our board so in an effort to shake things up a bit and hopefully help set a better tone when it comes to our bodies, I thought we could talk about one of my personal favorite things: FOOD! :D

So J15 Mamas, what is your favorite healthy and not-so-healthy pregnancy snack?

*Bonus: Do you feel like pregnancy has influenced you or people around you when it comes to "expectations" of your physical appearance?

Great topic idea!! I love this thought! Before I was pregnant I was totally consumed with my weight..now I am watching what I eat but not focusing on the weight just on staying healthy and keeping baby healthy. I actually love my pregnant body right now. I know a lot of people don't so I hope that they will start to embrace their pregnancy. Pregnant women are beautiful!!!

On another note I have had plenty of people with expectations of my physical appearance..right from the start people kept saying: oh you're going to gain so much weight, I can't wait for you to get fat, and all these other stupid comments. People are always making comments I'm either too small or too big for myself I'm just learning to love me!
  • Unhealthy: Tapatio Doritos with cottage cheese, Cheetos...well any chip!

Healthy: pineapple, grapes, strawberries, hummus with multigrain chips

I was always super skinny growing up. When I was about 24/25 I started to gain weight like crazy. This was (and still is) a huge deal for me. I was skinny bc of undiagnosed Celiac disease. Once, I was diagnosed I gained even more weight.

This Summer, I'm going to get my butt in gear and really start eating healthy and start walking regularly. In the Fall, I'm going to start working out. I'm done having kids and using them/pregnancy as my excuse. A close friend has been a huge inspiration to me lately. She was 100 lbs overweight, miserable in her marriage and just stressed and depressed with all of her "burdens". She finally decided that she needed to start putting herself first, so she can be a better wife/Mom. She went back to work (special Ed teacher) and started to work out and eat healthy. Her life has taken a complete 180! It's just really inspiring. She has the approach of eat "real" food and it's okay to have a cheat meal every once in a while. She has started coaching and I'm really debating on starting up with her after the baby, bc I find her approach is healthy and realistic.
  • After trying to stay away from burgers and fast food for so long, I caved and went to a&w today. Damn it's good
  • Any sort of berry. I always bring an apple, banana and pint of either blueberries, raspberries or strawberries with me to work everyday for my snack.

As for body image, I've been feeling great. I was really sick my first trimester and was losing weight even though my belly was growing, which was weird! Overall I've gained about 10lbs since I got pregnant and it's 100% in my belly. All my friends have commented that they cannot even tell I'm pregnant from behind. So I feel really good. Hubby tells me I'm beautiful everyday too which doesn't hurt :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Healthy cravings would be pineapple, fiber one cereal, big glasses of milk, asparagus and sweet potatoes.

Not so healthy cravings would be *cadbury cream eggs*, french toast with syrup and ice cream! Yummmmm
  • I've been trying to eat healthier but its so hard when all I crave is tacobell, ice cream and recess peanut butter cups! Healthy cravings are nice juicy pineapple and cantaloupe :)
  • MurLindzz said:

Healthy cravings would be pineapple, fiber one cereal, big glasses of milk, asparagus and sweet potatoes.

Not so healthy cravings would be *cadbury cream eggs*, french toast with syrup and ice cream! Yummmmm

Yes I'm on a sweet potato and avocado binge... Then later on its cookies!! Oh boy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"