December 2014 Moms
Options

Baby won't sleep on her own

hello :) I realize everyone has their own opinions and method for getting LO to sleep. I'm not looking for "who is right", just suggestions

DD is going to be 3 months on Saturday. Since she was born she has not slept well alone, she will only sleep on me or my husband in the recliner. This never bothered me, she's my first and I'm a SAHM so I have time to snuggle my baby for hours :) but now she's restless on us and isn't sleeping well for naps or night time sleep. We've tried to get her to sleep in her crib and to co sleep with us in bed, she won't do either for very long (half hour if we're lucky). She absolutely HATES to be swaddled so we didn't get to try that out for very long but she'll take a binky really well.

I'm just at my wits end, my sweet baby is so tired and is ready for structure but she's not getting good sleep anywhere.

Help!!!

Re: Baby won't sleep on her own

• Options
    i know drs say back to sleep .. but if LO has been sleeping on you &DH, she may be used to sleeping on her tummy ! we had the same problem because when he was 3 weeks old we started letting him sleep on us all the time ... a couple weeks ago i started laying him down again, but on his tmmy, this is the only way my 3mo old DS will sleep on his own.
  • Options
    My daughter hated to be swaddled when she was 1st born to sleep, but now she loves to be swaddled to go to sleep.  Maybe you should try it again just a thought.  Also it could be a wonder week thing.  She didn't sleep well when going through a wonder week
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would encourage you to just try different positions until you find what is right for you.  Just be careful to avoid anything that could obstruct baby's breathing or otherwise create a risk of suffocation.  My DD is three months old this Friday.  At first DD wanted to sleep on my chest and was resistant to pretty much anything else.  I'd try to get her to sleep then put her in her arm's reach co-sleeper, or in her rock and play, but usually within a few minutes she would wake up and cry.  Eventually I stopped fighting it and just let her sleep on my chest.  Then about a month and a half ago she didn't want to sleep on my chest anymore, she would wiggle and was very restless.  Oddly enough, she would often fall asleep on my legs when I was sitting indian style.  When I'm in bed, that is how I sit while nursing, and she would just fall asleep there.  If I just laid back, she would stay asleep, but of course I'd be stuck sleeping with my legs crossed indian style, not ideal but better than no sleep.  Then I tried putting her next to me on her back, with my body sort of curled around her in a C shape.  Usually I sort of have my arm around her too.  I think she likes this because she can still feel my body heat and smell me, but she wants to be on her back now.  I know this is weird, but she sleeps so well like this!  We've had several nights now where she hasn't woken up until morning!  And other nights when she wakes up, she just eats and is back to sleep with no real fuss.  I know everyone says put them on their back in their crib, but sometimes you just have to do what works best for you and baby.
  • Options
    I had the same issue. I BF till baby is asleep or almost asleep then I put her in the bassanet with a fluffy blanket. I know baby should not sleep with any thing before using a blanky she was up every few hour or would only sleep on me now she sleeps 1030pm to 7am every night. I told my doctor that I put a blanket in her bassanet and her dr said that's fine. I think she was getting too cold.
  • Options
    We bought the Baby Merlin Magic Sleepsuit from Amazon. Read the reviews. Our son was swaddled and slept in the RocknPlay in our until he was 10 weeks. Then we moved him to the crib with the sleep suit and never had any issues! Before we bought the sleep suit he wouldn't lay in the crib for 5 minutes. Now at 14 weeks he sleeps from 7-7 and I nurse him just one time around 4am. He also naps really well in the sleep suit and crib.

When we first put him in his crib and he started crying, we would wait 5 minutes before going to him and patting his tummy and calming him, but never picking him up. He would soon fall asleep on his own. Now he falls asleep within just a couple of minutes of us laying him down when he is awake. If he wakes up early and I know he's not hungry yet, I let him fuss a bit and he will always fall back asleep. He always wakes up so happy in the mornings and from naps because he is so well rested! Best of luck!
  • Options

My younger hated being swaddled
    and would wake herself up many times a night throwing the blanket off. She is a major kicker. We tried a baby deedee sleep sack and she loved it immediately. Quickly became part of our bt. Whenever she feels sleepy she would point towards the sack and say neigh neigh. I think she feels comfortable and secure. I could tell that something about this deedee sleepsac gave my baby comfort to sleep in her crib. Would highly recommend!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"