Pregnant after IF

False Positive? XP UPDATE

mooseluvrmooseluvr member
edited March 2015 in Pregnant after IF
This is the scoop

I did IVF last year and got pregnant. I am in my early 40's. I am breastfeeding my infant. I know they say NOT to take pregnancy tests while taking fertility meds as they will produce false positives, but how long is that true?

I am no longer taking the meds because I had my baby obviously and I just tested positive on a pregnancy test. Could that be some remnant false results from the fertility meds, or did a miracle just happen and I am possibly pregnant?!?

To make matters more confusing, I took a second test and it came back negative.

Re: False Positive? XP UPDATE

• Hmm...I'm not sure if a lot of us will have an answer for you.  How recently did you have your baby?  The ladies on SAIF may have more advice, if their OB gave them warnings about testing soon after birth.  Maybe leave a message with your OB and keep testing.  Since the second test came back negative, it could have been a false positive??  

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • You can't take a pregnancy test right after ivf because of the trigger shot they give you. It will produce a positive test for a week or so after the trigger.
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you did IVF last year then those drugs are long gone. If you did it recently and took a trigger shot that should be gone 10-12 days after the shot.
  • You are crazy fertile while breastfeeding & especially in the first 6 weeks after baby. That's why they tell you not to have sex. It's definitely a possibility if you have had unprotected sex.

My History:
    Lots of BFN's & failed IUI's w/clomid and/or femara
    Finally BFP with femara & t.i.- son born 6/17/2010
    Started TTC again around when DS was 3ish
    Lots of BFN's with femara & t.i & ovidrel
    Tubes clear, S.A came back low motility but high count
    About to switch to injectables w/femara, did one last cycle with just femara & an IUI with ovidrel- stupid motility was fantastic in the sample, but count was 700,000 AFTER wash! Had to sign a paper to even still do IUI- BFFP (big fat freaking positive) Go figure!

1st Beta 13dpiui 54, 2nd beta 48 hours later 115, 3rd beta 48 hours later 310, 4th beta 72 hours later 1748.
  • Update (kinda)

Went to doctor and still not sure! LOL. they ran a quick urine test which came back negative. So they ran a blood test which will take a few days.

Doctor thinks a) it could be a false positive due to my remaining hormones from being recently pregnant OR b) super early pregnancy

She simply isn't sure either. She said based on when I gave birth, she would be surprised if it was still those hormones but it is (FYI) possible to test positive on  a test if you recently gave birth apparantly

I will find out in 2 days. Until then, she is treating me as PUPO
  • Interesting...I guess some HCG would still be in your system, but I'm curious to how long it would stay.  Keep us posted.

Me 33, DH 37 -- TTC since Jan'12 -- Low AMH (0.78) & endo, SA w/ low motility
    IUI's 1-3 = BFN, IVF converted to IUI 4/13 = BFN
    IVF 1.2: 8R 6M 4F -- 2 blastocysts frozen, FET 8/15 = BFP!!
    Beta #s = 445;1,098; 9,545  -- EDD 5/2 -- Team Pink!
    Camila Josephine arrived 4/30 :)
  • How old is your baby? Did some symptoms make you decide to test?

Hope it ends up how you want it to!
    Me: 32, DH: 33
    DS #1: April 2010
    DS #2: July 2015 (preemie born at 31 weeks) - our little miracle conceived through ART - unexplained secondary infertility/adenomyosis
  • Blood work came back negative, so I have absolutely no idea how the home test was positive. It is so bizarre to me actually

@sailorgal. My child is 4 months old

I am mixed. On one hand, a miracle baby would have been nice. (and trust me, it would have been a miracle based on my age, the fact that I breastfeed, that I did IVF and the fact that i have a newborn which means very little action is going on right now LOL) 

On the other hand, I am a very new mom and still getting used to things and was pretty scared at the thought of "irish twins" both emotinoally and financially.

In the end, it was in God's hands and I accept the result 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"