February 2015 Moms

Vitamin D drops upsetting baby's tummy???

My ped wanted me to start giving vitamin d drops to by bf baby. But now he cries for 2hrs solid after we give him the drops? Anyone else running into this problem?

Re: Vitamin D drops upsetting baby's tummy???

• What's the reason for the drops? I'd call the ped and let him know. No experience, sorry.
    j & m
    married July 2012
    My Angel - Amelia Hope - 3/13/14, 22 weeks
    BFP #2 - 6/10/14     Hoping for our rainbow baby    due February 2015

• Our pediatrician said to give vitamin D drops for our baby girls jaundice. She is only slightly jaundice, and we haven't been able to find them so we've been going out on walks and putting her in indirect sunlight for the past several days, and I've been giving her extra feedings as well. No experience, but if the drops are for jaundice, and they upset his tummy for that long, I would just use the natural sunlight and if you're breastfeeding, extra feedings are said to help with it as well. It seems to be helping our little one.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have not had the experience with the upset tummy but wonder if you shouldn't try switching brands. I don't know what you are using, but some brands you have to use a whole dropper full and some it is a single drop. The whole dropper kind contain a lot of other stuff (I think I remember lots of sugar) so I wonder if baby is reacting to that. Just a thought.

For those asking about giving vitamin D in the first place, it is recommended for all BF babies because breast milk does not contain enough.
  • My pedatrician doesn't recommend supplemental vitamin D as standard course for breastfed children. He recommends indirect sunlight if a child seems to be showing signs of a deficiency. The primary use for supplemental vitamin D is treating a case of jaundice that falls outside the normal realms of newborn jaundice (since many babies have a mild case that clears quickly over a couple of days without much interference).

As far as the tummy troubles, call your doctor and look into the brand swap, but if the vitamin D is for jaundice, sunlight and extra feedings (especially of Breast milk but actually of any variety since it's all about stimulating kidney activity) will help clear things up.
  • I was given d drops last week
    My doc said to give baby one drop a day until he's up to 1000 ml of food

I don't see how one drop would upset a babies tummy so much
    How much are you giving and how often ?
  • My pediatrician also recommended vitamin D drops for my EBF baby. I found he tolerates it best right before I nurse him.
  • It's not because breastmilk doesn't have enough vitamin d. It's because if there is a deficiency, breastmilk alone won't raise the levels to an acceptable amount.

My pedi recommends the drops for all bf babies. Only a few kids actually need it, but they recommend it to everyone in order to catch those few who do need it. They also said ten to fifteen minutes of sunlight, even indirect, will provide the same extra boost if you need it. Sunlight will also help baby differentiate between night and day to get on a better sleep schedule.

Anecdotally, I've never given it to either of my kids and their bloodwork always comes back fine.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• I stopped mine to rule out an issue since E was increasingly fussy after nursing. We just got started on Zantec for reflux so I will try adding them back in.

Our pediatrician recommends them for EBF babies. I'm in Seattle so sunlight sometimes isn't an option

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • With my first baby, my pediatrician recommended vitamin D drops (breastfed baby). This time around, the same office doesnt recommend (breastfed baby) and says that breastmilk and regular sun exposure is fine.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ula28ula28 member
    My doctor had Me get them... my lactation lady also recommend them... if your baby is at least 2 weeks old you can give gripe water it's all natural and sooths upset tummies
  • A friend of mine recommend the type where you only need to put one drop on your nipple prior to nursing. She had way more success than with the type where she had to feed her baby a lot more.

BFP #1 11/02/13, EDD 07/04/14, BO diagnosed 12/12/13 at 9w5d
    BFP #2 6/12/14, DD born 2/21/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"