June 2015 Moms

BCBS Federal covers breast pump

Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Plan (for federal employees and families) include covering 1 breast pump kit per calendar year for pregnant and/or nursing mothers. It has to be either the Ameda Manual Pump or Ameda Double Electric Pump, and you have to order it through CVS Caremark, but it is *100%* covered. The number for CVS Caremark is 1-800-262-7890.

I just called and ordered mine. It also comes with 150 storage bags and you can call every 90 days for more bags. Don't know if this is helpful to anyone else but hey, it's a free breast pump if you have this insurance. No cost what so ever! If the pump isn't any good and I end up having to use something else at least I'm not out any $$

Re: BCBS Federal covers breast pump

• Most insurance companies have to cover part if not all of your breast pump thanks to obamacare.
  • If I had BCBS, I would be really disappointed that my only options were an Ameda pump or paying out of pocket. I won't say my insurance is amazing, but I do have several options for breast pumps.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't realize you could pre order. I have blue Cross and united healthcare... Double covered lol
  • @BabyList I'm glad you know so much about insurance. I'm sure that is very helpful for you. However, my post was specifically for one kind of insurance and to be helpful to anyone else out there that might not know this insurance covers a pump 100% (which I did not expect).

@KonaCoffeeBean I'm glad your insurance allows you so many options. You are very fortunate. I'm going to enjoy using the one that my insurance provides me because this is a great help financially to DH and I. I feel very fortunate that they cover a pump at all! And I hope that I have helped even just one other person who didn't know this information.
  • I didn't realize you could pre order. I have blue Cross and united healthcare... Double covered lol

I didn't think I could either. I had called just to get information and they said they would go ahead and ship mine. I was kinda shocked at how easy it was.
  • Mine covers Ameda and Medela. I think I'm going with Medela.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so jealous! My insurance only covers a manual pump. Really?!?! Get with the times BCBS of KS!

BabyFetus Ticker

• I have fed insurance and mine is really nice
  • I need to find out if there's any other in network medical supply companies that sell the Medela. So far, I have called one in network company and they only do the Ameda Purely Yours. When I was pumping for my twins, I rented a hospital grade Ameda but found that the Medela Pump in Style was much better. Luckily, my SIL will let me borrow hers (will just get new tubings and replacement parts) if the Ameda doesn't work out.
  • Here's a website to use for insurance qualified breast pumps. I filled it out and had a call back saying I am 100% covered by my insurance (UHC).
    https://www.breastpumps.aeroflowinc.com/qualify-through-insurance/
  • https://m.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=22729026

Babies r us gave me a brochure with the number listed on this site, I called gave them my name, insurance info, and doctor's name. Within 24 hours they emailed me back with 2 pumps my insurance will cover as well as 2 I can pay to upgrade to. Now all I have to do is fax or email them back a prescription from my doctor and which pump I want and they'll ship it to me.
  • I was just letting others know that they could check with their insurance companies and get similar coverage...
  • I have BCBS of Texas. I have a choice of using three different companies and they each offer several choices covered at 100%. I was sad to see though that it's literally only the pump for the medela. The breast shields and bottles and bag and all that are not included but for $99 I can get everything that would come with it from the stores. So it's better then nothing. But I'm like wth? You don't even get the tubing and shields or anything? Nope. Just the machine itself. Ugh.
  • edited March 2015

I have BCBS of Texas. I have a choice of using three different companies and they each offer several choices covered at 100%. I was sad to see though that it's literally only the pump for the medela. The breast shields and bottles and bag and all that are not included but for $99 I can get everything that would come with it from the stores. So it's better then nothing. But I'm like wth? You don't even get the tubing and shields or anything? Nope. Just the machine itself. Ugh.

That's how BCBS is in PA for Medela, too (except for us it's like $79 or something for everything). I don't really mind though. Without insurance the whole thing would be like $300, which I absolutely could not afford. IMO, $79 is a bargain!

ETA: this is what my personal BCBS plan in PA covers - others may differ, so PA mommies with BCBS call them for more info rather than just going off of my post! I don't want to unintentionally mislead anyone!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have BSBC of WI and my insurance covers one pump 100%, I chose the Medela Pump in Style. I ordered mine on Thursday and it was delievered Saturday morning. I got to choose from the ones on this website. www.edgepark.com
  • delujm0delujm0 member
    edited March 2015
    I have a national BCBS plan and there were several options that were free...I got the Madela PISA base model free and then upgraded to one with a tote bag and cooler set. Fyi if you have an FSA or HSA you can pay for the upgrade (or anything designed to assist with lactation) using those accounts. My insurance will also cover replacement parts 100% but you have to get them at a specific list of places.

Edit: i used the Aeroflow site to order from and it was super easy and fast.
  • Just got my Medela from Aeroflow Healthcare yesterday! I have UHC and mine was covered 100%.  Super easy process
  • I have BCBS of Texas. I have a choice of using three different companies and they each offer several choices covered at 100%. I was sad to see though that it's literally only the pump for the medela. The breast shields and bottles and bag and all that are not included but for $99 I can get everything that would come with it from the stores. So it's better then nothing. But I'm like wth? You don't even get the tubing and shields or anything? Nope. Just the machine itself. Ugh.

Hi, I am searching for pumps as well and have BCBS of Texas but I'm not seeing the companies that offer breast pumps. Do you know offhand the names of the 3 companies? I found a company that BCBS of Texas will cover but since I am not a resident of Texas, it won't cover but $40 which doesn't make sense! I have no control that my husbands business uses a Texas insurance when we live in Louisiana. Thank you in advance for any help! 
    Married: 6.28.14
    TTC #1: 2.1.15
    BFP: 2.23.15 EDD: 11.6.15  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have BCBS federal as well and just received my ameda purely yours pump storage bags and carrier. No complaints here!
  • @happylife7 if you call BCBS they can tell you the exact ones they work with. It's what I had to do.
    The ones they told me were edgepark.com
    888-394-5375
    Sterling Medical
    877-856-1293
    And
    ByramHealthcare.com
    877-902-9726
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"