April 2015 Moms

Feeling guilty. Just don't want to breastfeed.

I feel really guilty but I honestly don't have a desire to breastfeed. I know it's better for the baby and cheaper for us, we don't quality for WIC. This is my fourth child I and I didn't really breastfeed them either but we did get wic at that time so it made it easier. Idk I plan on trying and have been reading up on it and bought some supplies already. Just wish I could feel more motivated about it.

Re: Feeling guilty. Just don't want to breastfeed.

• Don't feel guilty. Feed your baby how you want to feed him/her. Good luck with your decision!
    Married: 3/01/08
    Baby Girl: 7/29/11
    Angel Baby: M/C 7/15/14 at 7wk
    BFP: 8/23/14 - Due 4/28/15  - It's a BOY!
  • It's not something I want to do either. I fought the good fight with my first one for about 7 weeks and it just didn't work. It's pretty stressful. I'm going to do it again, maybe this time will be different but I'm not looking forward to it.
  • Loading the player...
  • If your not mentally into you will find it way more tricky to be able to get past the latching and other issues you could face no point forcing your self no body else is, it is your child what ever you feel is right is up to you I bet you've been a brill ain't parent so far so don't worry xx
  • Personally I think it is normal for you to feel a little guilty. While every mom has their choice the studies done have significant results showing that breastfeeding is better for your child.

I think it is the best choice if you are able to - granted I am a FTM and I haven't had any experience. I have had a couple family members tell me how much they didn't like it and I'm not jumping up and down with anticipation but I want to do what is best for my child.

Good luck!
  • It's your baby & your body - do what you want.  That said, if you've never really tried, how do you know you won't like it?  Breastfeeding is probably one of the things I'm most looking forward to.  Don't get me wrong, it can be challenging at first, but is so much easier in the long run.  (I despise washing bottles, and you don't have to pack anything feedingwise to leave the house.)  I'll be super disappointed if it doesn't work out for one reason or another. Just wanted to give everyone who has gotten negative feedback from others that it can be an awesome experience. 
  • Do whatever you like! Babies all over the world are living breathing and rocking in life that were formula fed. I was adopted and formula fed and I've been healthy and athletic all my life, currently having an immensely healthy pregnancy, same with my sister! There is a lot of formula shaming out there which is wrong, just do what you want.
  • @brittstapleton....I have breastfed my first two babies and will be breastfeeding this one too. I have to warn you that breastfeeding for the first three weeks is hard. It does become frustrating at times but I reminded myself that it's the best thing for baby. Your baby is still receiving nutriment whether it's from you or formula. Good luck!
  • This is baby #5, I struggled bad with my first few and the latching on part... I hated nursing.. I think the lactation nurses make it worse with making you do it a certain way!? As soon as l just let my baby suck on it the way it naturally wanted, nursing wasn't near as hard!! Its instinct. Yet those nurses want to make it so hard:(
  • Breast feeding can be a large hassle!! Dont feel bad, I absolutely did not want to breastfeed my first, but breast fed my second and third.. Im returning to work this time and dont know if i want to go through the hassle! So dont feel guilty... Start registering at formula websites they will send you free samples, and look for promotions, enfamil has one going on where they send a free case.. I grabbed a bunch of coupons at the drs office and had a bunch of friends bring me the cases of ready to use formula!!
  • Don't feel guilty momma! Only you and your immediate family know what's best for your unique situation. Let me try to ease your mind. Have you heard of the experiments of the psychologist Harry Harlow?https://muskingum.edu/~psych/psycweb/history/harlow.htm

Basically, the pertinent experiment showed that for primates (like us) to develop a healthy attachment, the need for parental comfort and nurturing is at least as important, if not more so, than nutrition. So, yes, in strict terms of physical development, human milk is the best food for human babies. However, in the grand scheme of raising a person, it is better to feed formula with love, than breastfeed with resentment.

If you have doubts about breastfeeding because you've had trouble in the past, I encourage you to research human lactation from credible sources - not anecdotal evidence, which is notorious for misinformation. However, if you really and truly just don't want to breastfeed, that is a perfectly reasonable reason not to. And this is coming from a woman who breastfed her first for almost three years! Whatever you decide, be confident that your choice is what's right for you, and don't let anyone - including yourself! - make you feel guilty.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"