October 2015 Moms
Options

Wasn't expecting that...

My MS hit hard in week 6, and hasn't really let up since (8 weeks today). This afternoon I was home sick, and my MIL drops by to check on me. During the course of a normal conversation she just casually mentions she has some weed in her purse and it's mine if I want it.

Erm, what??!

Lol I said no (I think, reflexively), but honestly after 15 or so days of feeling like dog poo I was really tempted.

Besides the possible risks to baby, I don't think MIL was thinking about the antenatal drug screen or the newborn one. I'd really rather not have Child Services come pay me any visits... :-$
O15 August Siggy Challenge

Re: Wasn't expecting that...

• Options
    With my morning sickness also hitting hard at 6w and feeling completely miserable I have also thought about it to relieve my nausea! Ha.. I'm 8w2d now and ms has gotten to be bearable the past few days though.. thank god!
  • Options
    There are new studies coming out about he effects of marijuana exposure during pregnancy and it's actually kind of shocking! The effects are worse than you would think look it up if you are ever tempted again!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try real ginger in hot water for tea or lots of Lemon in water . I also found peppermint tea and Altoids help
  • Options
    sallyg85 said:

Who in the right mind would think about taking weed as a way to relieve ms...let alone someone to suggest it to a pregnant woman. (Fruit loop) Ms comes part of the package, I'd rather have ms and be miserable than for my baby's health to be at risk.

THIS.
  • Options
    Well, it probably surprised me more because I don't smoke. And I was pretty sure she hadn't in years. I don't think she's a fruit loop though. I just think things were a lot different the last time she was pregnant.

Makes me wonder how many women really do smoke while they're preggo. I know in my work I see cases where moms test positive on their drug screens and it's usually THC.

Thanks, @numbr2, the ginger is a big help. I haven't tried peppermint yet but I will
  • Options
    I've never even tried it, but we were in Denver a few weeks ago and someone passed us that smelled like weed. The smell made my MS act up so bad it was one of the few times I really thought I was going to be sick.

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I knew this one pot head who told me his girlfriends Dr told her she could smoke weed to relieve morning sickness and it would have no effect on the baby.... I am not quite sure what kind of Dr she was seeing, but I definitely would not have gone back. And for the smell, I agree @on_the_move, it makes me absolutely sick to be around it but I have never been one of those people who just loves how weed smells. 
  • Options
    KatlynSillKatlynSill member
    edited March 2015
    I'm sure I'll get hate, BUT:
    I've done a lot of research on marijuana use during pregnancy. There's actually quite a few studies on it. I was a pot smoker before I was pregnant and decided to quit because of legality of it. And the actual smoking part is bad. CBD is a natural chemical that is not only in marijuana but in breastmilk. It's been prescribed in some states. It's not advised to smoke while pregnant, but ingesting it has no real danger to it. There was an interesting study done by an American sociologist, who studied women in Jamaica during their pregnancy and five years after, who smoked during their pregnancies. It showed no damage to either mother or child. The children were born with no defects. They had no learning or developmental disabilities and we're happy healthy children. I'm not condoning smoking while pregnant at all but the negative stigma around marijuana is ridiculous to me. Especially with studies that show it's not so bad. Your MIL was trying to help with a natural plant that you can still ingest to get rid of MS. You can eat or drink it and baby will be safe.
  • Options
    This is new research that you may not know about-not hating but thought you should know
    https://www.healthline.com/health-news/children-cannabis-impairs-fetal-brain-development-012814
  • Options
    I haven't heard that. But it's interesting. A lot of what I found was inconclusive for THC affecting pregnancy.
    I'm an advocate for CBD rich strains as that chemical provides the most medicinal qualities. Unfortunately, there's not much demand for it, so there's not very many dealers/dispensarys that carry it. And the average pot dealer doesn't know/care about the THC-CBD ratio. I found a lot of articles for it and a lot against. It's why I chose to abstain from it. Which has been incredibly hard and a little stressful. I've also been told by a few medical professionals to just not smoke, but eat or drink it. Including my parents, who have been nurses for 20+ years and my doctor, who delivered me (almost) 24 years ago.
  • Options
    OK... So when I read MS, my brain so didn't think morning sickness, but multiple sclerosis. I have quite a few friends affected by this disease...
  • Options
    Try eating apple slices. They settle your stomach. It's hard to get a slice or two down at times but it usually does the trick. Or apple sauce! Google apples and nausea. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Totally hippie mama here.....now I don't smoke...it's illegal here in texas and not worth the risk.....but studies done in Australia show that using weed as a tonic during pregnancy is actually very beneficial for the baby and they excel in life.....now I'm not saying to go smoke it, especially if you have never done so before but if you do choose to....it's your decision, do more research.....to get around the drug test don't do it often only when absolutely necessary and drink nothing but water, it will run everything out of your system faster....but remember there is still always a risk.I don't know any of this from personal experience....but from loved ones who have done this.
    Also I don't care what any one else thinks....you don't have to agree, I know most won't...please don't start talking shit...I know this is a controversial topic but I think that's the point..to get other advice from other sources....I don't encourage people to take my word as fact but to do there own research....I have done lots of research on this topic and many more so I have strong opinions and I'm not afraid to state them...but I'm not looking for a pissing contest so if you want to bash me or my opinion that is on you I won't respond. I hope this was helpful and good luck!
  • Options
    @KatlynSill That's a great article. It was actually featured in one of my sociology PhD classes a couple years ago. We were looking at reproductive trends, as well as socioeconomic factors that play into disparities observed in pregnancy outcomes. Good stuff, thanks for sharing that.
  • Options
    foxalicia said:

Totally hippie mama here.....now I don't smoke...it's illegal here in texas and not worth the risk.....but studies done in Australia show that using weed as a tonic during pregnancy is actually very beneficial for the baby and they excel in life.....now I'm not saying to go smoke it, especially if you have never done so before but if you do choose to....it's your decision, do more research.....to get around the drug test don't do it often only when absolutely necessary and drink nothing but water, it will run everything out of your system faster....but remember there is still always a risk.I don't know any of this from personal experience....but from loved ones who have done this.
    Also I don't care what any one else thinks....you don't have to agree, I know most won't...please don't start talking shit...I know this is a controversial topic but I think that's the point..to get other advice from other sources....I don't encourage people to take my word as fact but to do there own research....I have done lots of research on this topic and many more so I have strong opinions and I'm not afraid to state them...but I'm not looking for a pissing contest so if you want to bash me or my opinion that is on you I won't respond. I hope this was helpful and good luck!

It IsThe Only Thing ThatHas Helped MeWith My ms And Eating. PeopleCan Hate On Me All They Want. I Don't Care. I'm Not A Doctor,Never Will Be, I Just Know What Works For Me And I WouldRecommend It.
  • Options
    @bchandler79 yeah me too....it's the one acronym on this site I can't get used to...I see someone's post and I go to respond like, "Oh my friend who has MS, when she was pregnant she....oh we're not talking about Multiple Sclerosis." :|
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"