October 2015 Moms
Options

Insurance Rant

Just want to rant about insurance. I just realized that this year my insurance doubled our out of pocket max to $6,000. With my deductible it's going to cost $6,500 out of pocket to have our baby because c-sections are so expensive. So frustrating. I work for the county so we're not eligible for any of the new plans under Obamacare so I'm stuck with my work plan. I pay about $700 a month and the county pays another $1,200 or so. My sister has cheap private insurance and it cost her $500 total for a c-section. I feel like this is just insane. Has anyone else checked with insurance to see what you think you'll have to pay?

Re: Insurance Rant

• Options
    If baby comes on her due date or any time in October it'll cost $4,000 for us. I work for the school and our benefits start over October 1.
  • Options
    Why would you not be allowed to apply for Obamacare? I don't have it, but I'm pretty sure anyone can apply and receive Obamacare and drop their work insurance. Whether you work for the county or not. I've never heard anything like this before. My husband works for the state and is welcome to switch if he wants to but we stuck with his insurance.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Insurance has sky rocketed for everyone. We got our plan through the marketplace (obamacare) and we are paying an arm and a leg for a gold plan.
  • Options
    I have insurance through my job and have to pay a little over $300 every month for 5 months (all through the pregnancy to be paid before my 8th month) then I have to pay 20% of all the hospital bills. It's crazy considering I work for the hospital I'm giving birth at. I also tried to apply for pregnancy Medicaid. They said they don't know if I'll be covered or what they'll pay, but I'd be happy if they paid $10.
  • Options
    We chose to go without insurance for now, since we are planning a home birth anyways (and have already saved up for it). My daughter will be going on Medicaid soon and my husband and I will be waiting to go on Medicaid until after I quit my job and stay home after having this baby. Right now we make too much money to apply for Medicaid and Obamacare was far from "affordable" for us per month, even for the crappiest insurance plan.
  • Options
    I pay $180 a month on just me through my job. Was told when I made my 1st appt that I would have pay $250 up front! I can't afford that. It's crazy. I'm gonna try to apply for Medicaid hope they will approve me even though I already have insurance there just no way I can afford it though...
  • Options
    Rachel623 said:

Just want to rant about insurance. I just realized that this year my insurance doubled our out of pocket max to $6,000. With my deductible it's going to cost $6,500 out of pocket to have our baby because c-sections are so expensive. So frustrating. I work for the county so we're not eligible for any of the new plans under Obamacare so I'm stuck with my work plan. I pay about $700 a month and the county pays another $1,200 or so. My sister has cheap private insurance and it cost her $500 total for a c-section. I feel like this is just insane. Has anyone else checked with insurance to see what you think you'll have to pay?

I'm in to exact same boat. I actually have an Affordable Care Act plan and I pay $300 just for myself (my work doesn't offer insurance) and my max out of pocket is $6600. I don't really know what other options I have, I've looked into changing and was told there is no enrollment right now so I'm stuck.
  • Options

We chose to go without insurance for now, since we are planning a home birth anyways (and have already saved up for it). My daughter will be going on Medicaid soon and my husband and I will be waiting to go on Medicaid until after I quit my job and stay home after having this baby. Right now we make too much money to apply for Medicaid and Obamacare was far from "affordable" for us per month, even for the crappiest insurance plan.

Highly confusing.  You chose to go without insurance so you can quit your job and then the whole family will be on Medicaid?  But you work and saved up money for a homebirth?  Nice of you to work the system.   
  • Options
    So I guess mine is more the norm than I thought. Just annoying because when I had my daughter in 2013 it was $3,500 and now it's so much more even with my monthly costs going up.

As to leaving my work insurance, I was told by two insurance companies that due to my job insurance, I'm not eligible for the plans under the affordable care act and neither is my husband.
  • Options
    I work in healthcare and deal with a lot of the "obamacare" stuff. You cannot apply for obamacare if your employer offers medical insurance.
  • Options
    This birth (section) will be covered 100% through my insurance from my husbands job along with all prenatal care. My second child my husband worked a differnt job and the insurance was not as good, and the c-section for that pregnancy cost us around 5k
  • Options
    @smlowe9311 you should check into that.  Usually deductible years run calendar year not plan year.  Most start over January 1 not necessarily when your renewal is.  It is rare for them not to start over in January but not impossible!

@deanna1313 alot of people aren't eligible for Obamacare depending on the plan you have.  since the one I have available at work is "affordable" I do not qualify for Obamacare.

You should really check the SPD that is out there for the medical plan that you are on that your work is required to give to you from the carrier.  Usually on the last page it gives you an example of what a birth would cost you out of pocket on the plan you are on!  Hope someone finds this helpful!

• Options
    We pay over 900 bucks a month for our basic insurance plan and it sucks so badly. It isn't geared towards pregnancy either so i'm going to have to change my policy for me and the baby and it's going to cost even more.
  • Options

Highly confusing.  You chose to go without insurance so you can quit your job and then the whole family will be on Medicaid?  But you work and saved up money for a homebirth?  Nice of you to work the system.   
    We are using our tax return to pay for our home birth, and once I have this baby I will not be ABLE to work (daycare expenses are too high with 2 children) so we will probably go on Medicaid after the baby is born. Not trying to "work the system" at all.
  • Options
    I work for a hospital and if I deliver at that hospital it will only coast me 1,200.00, however my Dr who delivered my daughter 11 years ago is with another hospital and I'm choosing to deliver out of network and will coast me triple! My insurance plan will be changing July 1 with work and I was told it is a better plan so I'm hoping the coast will go down.
  • Options

We are using our tax return to pay for our home birth, and once I have this baby I will not be ABLE to work (daycare expenses are too high with 2 children) so we will probably go on Medicaid after the baby is born. Not trying to "work the system" at all.
    Got it. I was highly confused. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options

Going back and reading my OP it made me sound fishy, haha. I didn't explain it correctly, I guess! Whoops! 
  • Options

Going back and reading my OP it made me sound fishy, haha. I didn't explain it correctly, I guess! Whoops! 
    It was nice of you to respond. You certainly don't owe me or anyone else an explanation. For some reason it sent up a red flag!  Probably jealousy because I really don't like being a working mom.
  • Options

It was nice of you to respond. You certainly don't owe me or anyone else an explanation. For some reason it sent up a red flag!  Probably jealousy because I really don't like being a working mom.
    I hate being a working mom, too. It's so hard to leave our babies. :( DH just doesn't understand! I'm expecting I'll be working a different part-time job after baby #2 anyways because we'll be so darn broke without me working. Sucks!!
  • Options
    We will pay our deductible which is $2,500 which is due before the baby comes. Once that's reached we wont owe any more out of pocket BUT we pay pver $1,100 a month just for our insurance, blah!
    *Formerly peainthepod?* TTC since 1/1/2006. All cycles BFN! IUI's & IVF with no luck. Emergency surgery 11/07 due to hemmoraging cyst on left ovary. 3rd HSG showed complete blockage of right tube (the good side), endo/cysts/adhesion removal 11/11. New start for 2012! Surprise BFP 6/17/12, due 2/12/13. It's a boy!!! Baby Boy born on January 26, 2013. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"