Baby Names

Virtue names/word names

Hi everyone! I'm expecting my first child (eek!) and finally get to actually consider baby names. I've always been a fan of really obscure names. I like meeting people with interesting names, and I love the meanings behind names. But as I'm actually considering naming a real person, I am a little more weary of those out-there names. I also have a sort of unusual name, and I've always liked not sharing my name with many other people.

I really enjoy names that are words with significant meanings. Names like Hope and Grace have been popular for girls, but I'm more interested in the ones for boys.
I have a list of potential names that are words/virtues with positive meanings. I'm looking for one that will be easy to spell, not TOO out there, and sounds masculine enough.

Honor
Swift
True
River
Reason
Valor
Archer
Ever
Zion
Justice

While I'm sure that many of these won't match with people's personal style, do any of them stick out as more "nameish" than others? Any other suggestions?

Re: Virtue names/word names

• Archer and River, but Archer seems to be getting popular.
  • I love river and ever
  • Loading the player...
  • This list defines "out there". I'd toss everything but Archer.
  • Archer. I feel like River can work as a name as well. The others are pretty out there. I definitely know people with names like this, and some people like them, but not everyone responds to them the same..
  • I know an Archer, Justice, and a lot of Zions, so those sound like names to me. I've heard of people named River so I guess that sounds "nameish" to me also.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Phoenix
    Chance
    Merit
    Abel
    Sage
    North
    Sterling
    Zen

Here is the article that came up when I Googled Virtue Names...

I like Valor a lot. It has a masculine sound and it's very meaningful. Val is a good nickname too.

Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Honour to me sounds like a girl name. And some of them, like ever and reason don't work as human names.
    But I do agree with @brita722 val is a pretty awesome nickname (bias). But Valor is the only one I'd say keep, the rest not so much
  • I like Valor and Archer off of your list.
    River and Honor are both girl names to me, I know little girls with both names.
    Otherwise from pp I like Abel
  • LNic5LNic5 member
    River and Archer are good. Color isn't too bad, I agree with PPs, Val is a great nn. Ever isn't too bad either.

What about something like:

Abel
    Chance
    Sage
    Arrow
    Sterling
    Merit
    Constantine
    Journey
    Zen

• River i guess
  • Have you thought about stones?

Jasper (kinda trendy, blame Twilight)
    Garnet

In general word/nature names

Forrest
    Fletcher
    Ambrose
    Basil
    Noble
    Roman

• I prefer spelling Justice as Justus (https://www.behindthename.com/name/justus).
    I like Valor off your list - very masculine.
  • From your list Honor -how is this a girls name btw??? Ridiculous! Honor has no sex...-Justice, Valor and Noble in that order. Obviously I think you have some good suggestions though and order of all my favs from favorite to least:

Basil
    Ambrose
    Honor
    Justice
    Valor
    Merit
    Sage
    Noble
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! I like Valor a lot. I don't prefer the nickname Val, because it sounds too feminine.

I like the suggestion Abel a lot. It's definitely a name, and I like that it sounds like Able.
  • All the babies I've known named Justice were girls. And lots of spelling variations too. *shudder*

**siggy warning**

Current Age 35, DH 33

Married 9/2011

BFP 8/2012, Miscarried 9/2012

BFP 9/2012, DS 6/2013

BFP 6/2014, Miscarried 7/2014

BFP 7/2014, DD 4/2015

• I love River! Ever sounds good too. I'm actually thinking of using River as a girl's name but I think it suits a boy just fine.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Atlas. Everly. Everett.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Justus
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"