June 2015 Moms

Sciatic nerve pain

im only 5 and half months pregnant. I'm in severe pain, I can barely walk. Attempting to sit is unimaginable. It's a stabbing pain in my left butt cheek. It takes my breathe awAy every time . I'm assuming she is sitting on my nerve. What can I do to alleviate this? I've tried Tylenol and heat no help: I can't make it nine months like this. I've been sobbing for past three days nothing helps

Re: Sciatic nerve pain

• I'm in the same boat, except is right sided. I tried massage and chiropractor.... It only helped for a day. My next solution is oils and some yoga and stretches that a friend is going to show me. I'll let you know how it goes.

It's not likely baby is sitting on anything... Something has probably popped out of place. During pregnancy everything in the pelvic region becomes loose in preparation for child birth. So even if you "fix" it, it'll probably "unfix" again and again until baby is here. So it's best to just find what soothes your discomfort.
  • Lurking from May. Have horrid sciatic pain too - in UK doc says there are steps. First, paracetamol. Second, hot baths and massage. Third, referral to a physio for stretches.

Midwife says it's "one of those annoying pregnancy symptoms" and although was sympathetic, basically said to get on with it.

I do feel your pain though. It hurts!
  • Loading the player...
  • Omg thank you for posting this. I cried for hours yesterday due to my back and hip pain. Constant pinching pain in my lower back that is moving to upper back. Nothing helps but to sleep. Doctor gave me Percocet to help but I refuse to take pain meds. Hope things get better for you ladies.
  • Have you had it checked? With my last pregnancy I thought I had sciatica but it was actually my SI joint, where the spine meets the pelvis. A chiropractor adjusted me and it felt great but then it kept slipping again. The pain is similar to sciatica, as it hits nerves causing the agony. All I know is that I felt amazing between getting an adjustment and having it slip again. Good luck.
  • I have the same thing on and off as well as scoliosis and my back KILLS me every day, the dr gave me a muscle relaxer and I take half of one at night before bed and tylenol throughout the day. Hope you feel better!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I get it on my right hand side, and a pain that goes all the way down my leg and into my foot. It's extremely uncomfortable and painful so I feel you! I'm actually looking into going to see a chiropractor to see if they can help. There's loads of different things that might be causing the pain. Weight gain and fluid retention could be putting pressure on the sciatic nerve, or your growing tummy and breasts could shift your centre of gravity forward and stretch the lordotic curve (the dip just above your bum) which can cause the muscles in your bum and pelvic area to tighten and pinch the sciatic nerve. Alternatively as pp's have said, it could be something like a slipped disc.

Things you could try and do to help it are using a warm compress on the spot where you feel the pain, put your feet up for a few minutes, sleep on your side (I have a pregnancy pillow and find this really helps) if you don't have one then lay on your side and just put a normal pillow between your legs. Sleep on the side that doesn't hurt, so I sleep on my left side as it's my right side that gets the pain. Swimming is also supposed to be really good and helpful! Good luck, not long now till our LO's will be here and the aches and pains go away :)

• FYI the uterus is putting pressure on the nerve :( there may not be a whole lot you can do. I have this as well.
  • I had the same issue, it was touch and go at first, then when I had my Ultrasound and laying on the bed while they did it killed me. Once I got back up I limped around. I have a high pain tolerance but that was excruciating... Thank god for the heated seats in my car cause they were a life saver. After about a week of doing stretches that my family doc suggested it got better. They are sending me for another ultrasound in about a month because they can't make up their mind on when I'm due. By rights the due date is June 1st, but I'm measuring big so on is thinking more like may, but we will see. Hoping laying on the bed this time doesn't kill me.
  • I had the same issue, it was touch and go at first, then when I had my Ultrasound and laying on the bed while they did it killed me. Once I got back up I limped around. I have a high pain tolerance but that was excruciating... Thank god for the heated seats in my car cause they were a life saver. After about a week of doing stretches that my family doc suggested it got better. They are sending me for another ultrasound in about a month because they can't make up their mind on when I'm due. By rights the due date is June 1st, but I'm measuring big so on is thinking more like may, but we will see. Hoping laying on the bed this time doesn't kill me.

If they do assume you're ok to lay flat on your back, just tell them that it's not comfortable. They have pillows and wedges for positioning they can use. I got a pillow for under my knees at my 20 week u/s, and I was much more comfortable!
  • There is an as seen on tv thing that works for the most part called be active I know target sells it. I have had siacitic since week 8 it's not fun but yoga helps with it as well and my ob said rotate between ice and heat
  • @Frogger5 thanks I'll keep that in mind! :)
  • TheEATheEA member
    I had a lot of back pain with my first and have had some with this baby as well. I use a "belly brace". It really helps take the weight of my giant belly off my lower back. I also try to remember to sit up straight. I was amazed at how correcting my bad posture helped relieve some of the pain.
  • This has been talked about a lot, see a chiropractor and do piraformis stretches.
  • Go take a walk. It helps ! Trust me
  • essableroessablero member
    edited March 2015
    Hey hope u feel better . I was like that omg I cried all the time my husband was there for me to help me cause I couldn't go in bathroom.i was really in pain I called my ob and he scared me I rushed to the emergency room and they said I have that , and I should take Tylenol but I didn't . Everytime my Husband took me for a walk and believe me all that pain just went away , and now I don't feel any pain and imagine I have twins and it's kind of hard. My advice walk walk walk all the best
  • Just be patient :/ it should go away in time. I experienced this too and it took a good three weeks to go away. I even saw a neurosurgeon because I thought it was my sciatic nerve and he said that it wasn't, he said that it can be mistaken as that because it's in the same area as the sciatic nerve, but it's just baby rearranging things and putting pressure on your pelvis and making it wobbly. He was right though, it went away. It comes back every now and then, but nothing like it was. Hope this helps, hang in there :)
  • A chiropractor has helped me tremendously with this. I hope you get relief soon!
  • war6war6 member
    I m 23 weeks pregnant i m feeling pain in lower pelvic sumtime it feels like its in cervix or in vagina feeling so weird and its move to inner thighs anyone experience this?? I m worried
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"