September 2015 Moms

oops too much iron?

Hey y'all!

I am 12 weeks pregnant and have been taking my prenatal vitamins religiously... almost too religiously sometimes. I have taken 2 prenatals a couple times on accident..

I decided today I was going to get a pill box and make sure I don't do this again.. But should I be worried? Will too much iron harm my baby? Has anyone had this happen to them before.??
I try to eat really healthy too, eating foods with vitamins etc. I have read that green tea will reduce some iron intake, would you recommend I drink some if I take too many prenatals?

Re: oops too much iron?

• missliz53missliz53 member
    edited February 2015
    I would check with your doctor before doing anything since there are a number of herbs that are harmful to the baby. Are you sure your prenatal has iron since many of them don't? I have the opposite problem where I'm forgetting to take them, so I started a post it where I cross of the date when they are done. I love the idea of a pill box that sounds easier. I think couple extra Prenatals occasionally are probably fine.
  • You got me checking my prenatal... Should iron be included in my supplements? I take a DHA-EPA capsule along w my prenatal.. Doc recommended the DHA addition
  • Loading the player...
  • Usually your iron levels go down once you're pregnant so a lot of pre-natals include iron (mine does, and I've been taking them for two years even prior to getting pregnant just to keep my iron levels up). If your pre-natal doesn't include iron, you could always have your doc test your iron levels to be sure they're within the normal range.

I wouldn't worry about doubling up on your pre-natal every once in awhile, I would just be careful not to do it consistently. The pill box is a great idea!
  • Thanks y'all! Put my mind at ease. I have done this probably 3 or 4 times.. Try not to stress, but just a worried mom to be!
    Mine have iron in it. 27mg. Thanks for the feedback!
  • I wouldn't worry about it- when you take too much of a vitamin your body uses what it needs and the rest of it gets eliminated if you know what I mean ;-)

I've always needed extra iron during pregnancies even with the amount in my prenatal so there's a chance it might be a good thing lol I will warn you that my iron supplements they prescribed turned my poop a weird dark green color- the pharmacist even warned me about it because apparently it's common when you ingest a lot of iron. So if that happens- no worries, totally normal. Oh and excess iron can also constipate you, just fyi.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thank you so much!! Made me feel so much better!! Y'all are the best! So thankful to have such great mommies out there to give advice!
  • This week I went to my doctor and she said that my iron levels are that of a man! But she said it was good and not to worry because iron levels go down and many women have problems in the long run.
  • Good to know!! So even if they are s little high its okay?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"