August 2015 Moms

Zofran during pregnancy

OK I'm 16 almost 17 weeks I've been taking Zofran almost everyday because I am barely able to eat but I've been told its not safe during pregnancy & has been the cause of major side effects to the baby is this completely true?

Re: Zofran during pregnancy

• Exactly what PP said. I took Zofran while pregnant with DS (who is perfectly healthy/thriving, etc.) and I have taken it a lot with this pregnancy as well. That being said, I have heard all of the hubbub over it lately too and so I brought it up to my OB yesterday at my appointment. She said that she has heard that recently too about the defects (assuming from other patients and the legal ads) but she has not seen ANY medical studies/research/articles/publications etc. to support the claims. She (as well as MANY other doctors) is still comfortable prescribing it, but she did give me a prescription for Decligis (Category A) in case I decide to stop taking my Zofran.
  • Loading the player...
  • It scared me as well but those legal aids will say or do anything for ppl money and like the other women have stated consult your ob physician with ur concerns mine reassured me that there are not factual medical studies that support those claims.
  • I took Zofran when pregnant with my first DD for the first 5 months, and then took it while pregnant with my second (while still nursing DD1) for almost the entire pregnancy.  I have seen some of those ads, but my doctors assured me at the time it was safe and both of my girls are just fine.  I didn't have to take it this time around, but I would have if I needed to.  
  • As a side note diclegis was on the market from the 50's through 1983, under the name Bendectin. It was removed from the market because the drug company producing it elected not to attempt to afford the cost of the legal defense against the lawsuits claiming it caused birth defects. It did not cause birth defects and no lawsuit claim was able to substantiate that it had. It is now back on the market (as of April 2013), under the name diclegis and is a category A medication for pregnancy, meaning it is completely safe.

Things like anecdotal evidence from well meaning family member and friends, and even TV legal ads should be taken with a grain of salt.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used it with my first and am using it again for this one (my 3rd). Even my midwife is okay with me taking it.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• I am 17 weeks and take it everyday. My midwife took it her entire pregnancy as well. She told me on Thursday there is no medical evidence proving the claims. Enjoy your pregnancy and ask your doctor about concerns.
  • I take diclegis which at one time was taken off the market for alleged birth defects. Like everyone else already has said, it's category b which does not have known risk to the baby. I think your baby would have more of a chance of getting a birth defect by not taking it and throwing everything up (those defects like spine bifida caused by lack of folic acid and other defects caused by nutritional deficiencies). You've been prescribed this medication by someone who obviously knows pros and cons. I think you and your baby will be ok. Hopefully your sickness does subside though. Good luck!
  • You know my obgyn told me that you can actually take Phenergan. I thought it was bad for you. But it's actually not. She said the reason most drs give you zofran is because it doesn't make you sleepy like Phenergan does.
  • My mother brought over a ton of articles about the lawsuits and birth defects associated with Zofran today. Thanks guys, like I didn't do my research before deciding to take it. They were the ones pushing me to take anti-nausea drugs!
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"