October 2015 Moms
Options

Harmony Testing

edited February 2015 in October 2015 Moms
Has anyone had, or is planning on having, the Harmony test? I asked for the CVS test as I am a carrier for trisomy 18, but my midwife advised Harmony instead since it is less invasive. The literature I've read seems promising so it's probably what we'll be doing but I'd still love to hear some personal experiences.

Re: Harmony Testing

• Options
    I did it for my first and second. The second baby unfortunately showed high risk for downs. I would start with the harmony test and if it shows elevated risk move on to invasive testing.
  • Options
    @kimberlygo, was your baby born with Downs? I'm struggling with genetic testing. Other posts I've read on here said that the non-invasive genetic testing is unnecessary because they can find all those things out at a 20 week ultrasound. Obviously I need to talk to a doc about it, but I'm curious as to your experience. Thanks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We terminated the pregnancy. In addition to Downs he had a severe congenital heart defect that was not compatible with life. Firstly, they cannot diagnose anything at a 20 week ultrasound. They can only find markers, which would lead to further conclusive genetic testing. Testing arms you with information almost 10 weeks earlier, which allows you to prepare and treat your pregnancy accordingly. In my situation personally, it took weeks of testing to find our diagnosis and if we had only found markers at 20 weeks, I would have felt rushed determining a treatment and testing plan and ultimately making a decision. It's a personal choice, too. My first son, had soft markers at the 20 week ultrasound, but because we had the harmony test at 10 weeks, my mind was at ease knowing that they weren't anything but soft markers. It's really a personal choice. 
  • Options
    @kimberlygo I'm so sorry to hear that. Thank you for the info.
  • Options
    I had the test with my daughter at 20 weeks the told me that she had turners syndrome. I was devastated and didn't want to risk an amnio at 22 weeks when I got result they told me the test was 99% accurate. I spent 21 weeks worrying myself to death and she was born healthy. FALSE POSITIVE. Be forewarned. It was hell.
  • Options
    I am 40, so the Harmony test (which is a brand name for the fetal cell-free test) is an automatic recommendation.  I will absolutely be getting this test and any other testing required in order to know of genetic issues as early as possible so we have choices.  I am 8 weeks 4 days now and will have the test in 2-3 weeks.
    Me: 39
    DH: 39

TTC: #3 - first cycle TTC - 10/2014
    Preg #1 - PTL @ 23.5 weeks - angel in heaven (Addison Margaret)
    Preg #2 - PTL @ 30.1 weeks - Kellen born @ 3 lbs. 5 oz in Jan 2010 - My Pride and Joy
  • Options
    I'm glad to have gotten to hear the opinions of you all. Kimberlygo, thank you for sharing your story; It's hard to find accounts of mothers who had to face the tough decision because they were informed. I think, like you, I would look to termination of we found our child did show signs of Trisomy 18...it's just so hard to discuss such choices with people who haven't faced similar themselves.
  • Options
    I'm so glad someone asked this. I am hoping to have the harmony test but it is only covered on my insurance if my doctor signs off on it. I'm 34 and will be 4 months shy of 35 when I give birth. I would want to know now so we have time to discuss and figure it out.
  • Options
    Maybebabylay15 It's super difficult. I think you just have to do the best you can to be as informed as possible as early as possible.
  • Options
    I am going to do it. We lost our daughter due to triploidy and it checks for that. I'm also AMA so I want to be prepared.
    *Formerly peainthepod?* TTC since 1/1/2006. All cycles BFN! IUI's & IVF with no luck. Emergency surgery 11/07 due to hemmoraging cyst on left ovary. 3rd HSG showed complete blockage of right tube (the good side), endo/cysts/adhesion removal 11/11. New start for 2012! Surprise BFP 6/17/12, due 2/12/13. It's a boy!!! Baby Boy born on January 26, 2013. 
  • Options
    My friend's 20 week ultrasound showed signs that the baby was unwell (smaller than should have been at that week). She got an amnio and the baby has Trisomy 13; she is terminating on Monday. It's absolutely heartbreaking for her and her husband. She told me that she wished she had gotten testing done earlier, to spare her a bit of pain. 
  • Options
    I will be 38 when we deliver. My doctor recommended MaterniT21 test that is done between weeks 10-13 along with another ultrasound to take a picture of the back of the neck. She said it is best to do in week 12. Anyone know anything about this test?
  • Options
    I'm doing panorama genetic testing at 12 weeks. We will not terminate no matter the results. But want to know what we could potentially be faced with. My youngest child has autism and possibly a genetic disorder. He is having tests done soon. .. He is happy and healthy but has difficulties.
  • Options

I will be 38 when we deliver. My doctor recommended MaterniT21 test that is done between weeks 10-13 along with another ultrasound to take a picture of the back of the neck. She said it is best to do in week 12. Anyone know anything about this test?

MaterniT21 and Panorama are brand name tests for the fetal cell-free DNA test. It's just like Harmony. Think of it like Coke vs. Pepsi. The back of the neck measurement is the NT testing during the first trimester. This also looks for markers related to chromosomal defects, like a Downs.
    Me: 39
    DH: 39

TTC: #3 - first cycle TTC - 10/2014
    Preg #1 - PTL @ 23.5 weeks - angel in heaven (Addison Margaret)
    Preg #2 - PTL @ 30.1 weeks - Kellen born @ 3 lbs. 5 oz in Jan 2010 - My Pride and Joy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"