June 2015 Moms
Options

Maternity leave

Im having a rough time with the whole thing about maternity leave because my job doesn't have vacation days or sick days, medical leave and it's only helping me to get through my bills cause it's an low income job which I'll be paid off all the bills I have with my tax returns but I won't have money to save for maternity leave so I may only get two weeks off. What do I do about this?

Re: Maternity leave

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Go back after two weeks. I plan go to back after three. I'm not sure what your question is. Are you concerned about how to arrange child care?r
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    It seems like he only choices you have are to go back to work after two weeks or find a different job :/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm not really sure what the question is...? It doesn't really sounds like you have a choice. I would start exploring your childcare options now (if you haven't already) because most places have age minimums of around 6 weeks.

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options
    That's terrible for you. As a low income worker are you entitled to any parenting payments or benefits? do you have a partner and could live off one income for a while? Perhaps you could arrange with your work to take unpaid leave, and return at 8 weeks? That's still early but 2 weeks will be very challenging. Is there a community centre in your area that can advise you? Like the previous poster said I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I live in Australia and we get 18 weeks paid leave and employers need to hold your job for a year. I really hope something better works out for you :-)
  • Options
    This is a tough situation. I also work a low wage job, and only part time (2 days a week) as there are no real jobs in my area and I have to take what I can. I'm lucky enough DH is active duty military and will have a constant paycheck once I stop working, but our funds are already so tight, just imagining them after LO comes is scary. He already took a second job to cushion the loss of my paltry paycheck. It's probably going to be a no cable, no eating out, no fun of any kind existence for us. I don't have any suggestions (I wish I did!) but I feel your pain
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this. One thing you have to keep in mind even if you do not have maternity leave you have to be medically cleared to return to work after having a baby. Most company's will not allow you to return to work without a note from the doctor. Most doctors (if not all) will not clear you to go back to work until you are at least 6 weeks post partum. It would be worth talking to your ob and looking into child care options because every place we looked at (and we looked at 6) would not take a baby until they were 6 weeks most were 8 weeks. But if you are low income look into state assistance, it is there for a reason.

Married 11/12/2011
    EDD 06/07/2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    dkleid said:

I'm sorry you are going through this. One thing you have to keep in mind even if you do not have maternity leave you have to be medically cleared to return to work after having a baby. Most company's will not allow you to return to work without a note from the doctor. Most doctors (if not all) will not clear you to go back to work until you are at least 6 weeks post partum. It would be worth talking to your ob and looking into child care options because every place we looked at (and we looked at 6) would not take a baby until they were 6 weeks most were 8 weeks. But if you are low income look into state assistance, it is there for a reason.

I knew that companies could do this, but I am surprised to hear that it is common practice. I'm self employed now, but before that worked for couple of different firms, which did not have any prohibitions about when a mother could return to work. Of course, these have all been white collar professional jobs; I imagine a physically strenuous job would be different. A couple of years ago, my paralegal came back a week after giving birth.  Assuming I don't have complications in my delivery, I can't imagine why wouldn't be fit to resume my practice before six weeks.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"