May 2015 Moms

When are you going on leave?

mamajama3mamajama3 member
edited February 2015 in May 2015 Moms
I talked to my doc today and she gave me a note to take from 4/9 off of work (I'm due 5/7). I may keep working if I feel ok but I read that CA disability gives you ~80% of your pay before the due date to be off on medical leave (pretty sweet deal). I commute 4 hours a day and know it will be more difficult as I get closer to my due date. Then it's 12 weeks baby bonding per CA law after I have the baby. Just curious what all of you other working mamas are doing :)

Re: When are you going on leave?

• I'm off as of Friday - are you talking abOut California? I thought it was 55% up to the weekly max
  • I'd double check the 80%. Based on my knowledge it's 55%, which is a huge difference.

• Loading the player...
  • We don't get anything special in Mass except for 8 weeks unpaid leave. :( so jealous! I'll be working up until I pop unless I medically can't for some reason.
  • I'm due 5/7 and going out 4/24, which will give me 2 weeks before my due date. I might consider going out sooner, but my kids (students) have state tests 4/22-4/24 and they are nervous about not having me there for moral support. 
  • Doc says to expect baby anytime week of April 20th (I have a history of going early.) so to keep baby cooking I'll probably start staying home at least the week before? I have 3 weeks sick time I could take before baby, then 6 weeks paid time off after baby, so I'm covered. Then we teachers have summer vacation :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I hoping to make it to April 17 then I have two weeks vacation I can take and I will start my year maternity leave on my due date (may 1). I've started working 2 days a week from home though because my blood pressure has been going up and I'm swelling like crazy so I'm being watched closely for toxemia... Hopefully it doesn't come to that though!
  • @SmrBrd2012‌ I'm from Mass too and I literally our secretary today that I'll be working until this baby comes out! Good thing I'm due close to the end of the school year!
  • I will be going as long as I can and petrified that I'll go into labor early. I teach AP and their test is 5 days after my due date (May 8). Finding a sub for stats is nearly impossible. The good news is that I'll be done teaching new material mid-April so hopefully they can review on their own.
    Also my grad class ends April 29. I don't want to be finishing a project with a newborn!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm due May 12th we can take 20 sick days before and after due date. I am leaving April 10. Then taking 6 weeks paid leave that NJ gives us,
  • I live in CA and I think I got 60% of my pay with my first and second child. 4 weeks before due date and 6-8 weeks after were paid. (6 weeks for vaginal delivery and 8 weeks for cesarean.).
  • I'm in CA also and 80% is false unless your employer is paying for your leave, which is pretty rare. It's 55%
  • I'm in CA. Also, due May 3rd. I'm going out on leave April 15th. Taking 2 Weeks Vacation Then starting my leave. My position is only held for 12 weeks so I'll have a little over 2 months with baby before I return to work.
  • I'm going on mat leave starting April 24th - due May 13th

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have 3 weeks holiday booked before I go on maternity leave, my mat leave starts 2 weeks before she is due and then I'm off for 9 months, I get 100% full pay for 6 months then a set amount for 3 months after that, It should be the same everywhere, USA have a crap deal when it comes to leave, think UK must be one of the best
  • I'm due May 7 but planning to work until my due date. My boss has two little ones and has suggested that I plan to work the last two weeks before my due date from home (she remembers the 9th month). I work an office job that is very easy for me to telecommute to- so I will plan to do that so I can have all of my leave with baby. I feel really lucky to have such an understanding employer.
  • @crkeating

That's awesome! I'm super jealous of teachers and school admins too now!! Oh well, it'll all work out. Stay warm, it's cold out there today!
  • 5 weeks to go! We get 9 months paid leave here in the UK if you want it, so I'm taking 3 weeks off pre birth and 5 months after.

Your American system sucks. It isn't fair for you guys at all.

Wow.. You are so lucky, I am offered 6 weeks unpaid. I told them I am taking 8. I had planned on taking off week before due date, but due to short staff not sure that will happen. Hope there not to surprised when I tell them I won't be coming back!!

And American people wonder what's gone wrong with society!!
  • Not sure when my last day is...hoping the week before my due date

Im planning on taking 6 weeks disability, 12 weeks fmla and and 3 weeks vacation

My employer has approved this so i wont go back till october

Anyone else allowed to take vaca at the end?
  • edited February 2015
    I'm due May 13th. Taking 2 weeks off holidays starting April 17th and then officially starting leave on May 4th. Then I get a year off with baby. Love being Canadian!!

Then after that I'm planning on being a SAHM :)
  • I'm a teacher...due Monday May 4th-planning on teaching until the Friday before! Then taking sick leave for the last 5 weeks till summer so I can keep my full pay...then 7 weeks of summer break till I go back!!
  • This post made we really look at the calendar this morning. I only work 3 days a week and will plan to use the last of my sick time a week before my due date. I'd like to try to work up until 40 weeks, but I also think that it would be good to have some time to just chill and take it east beforehand, esp. having a toddler as well. I wont be returning to work after this baby.

May be taking some sanity days before then as well. Best to you all.
  • I'm scheduled for a csection 5/27. I'm a teachers aide and last day of school is 5/15. I plan to work until 5/15 unless I can't for some reason.
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Wow! I'm so surprised at how many people are taking off starting prior to their due date. I just did not realize that it is a common this to do. In NY, we get 12 weeks unpaid, so my plan is to work up until my due date (May 29), and then be off from June 1 through labor day. I'll get paid for about half of my time on maternity leave because I am going to cash in sick and vacation days.
    ***First-time Mom in New York City | Married 8.16.13 | Expected Due Date 5.29.15***

• I work for my father-in-law as his administrative assistant, and the office is in his house. I only work 3 days a week (and can easily miss work when I need to and/or work from home occasionally) so I'll probably keep going until the end or close to it. I haven't picked an exact time frame that I'll be off work, but probably about 2 months, and then I'll just bring baby to work with me when I go back. Her grandma is very happy about that since she'll be there to watch her while I work other than when baby needs to nurse. I'm lucky to be in such a flexible situation (though I make very little money....it's more to help my father-in-law than anything else).
  • trying to figure this out now. With DS i worked up until the day but he was 2 weeks early (I worked friday, delivered sunday).  This time around I want a few weeks before to spend time with DS and also get some things ready. I am due May 15th and will see how things are in early April and just go from there...
  • I will be given only 2 weeks.. ( I am a student in college) I am due to May 10. College will close in June 15.. Hope everything go easy for me..
  • I teach and my due date (May 17) is right at the end of exams.  Hoping to work up until the very end of exams, get those grades posted, then take the summer off. (about 12 weeks) 
    Baby girl born on May 15, 2015!  (DS born 2011)
  • I am a nursing instructor. My due date is May 8th and I am hoping to work right up until that date to be helpful with clinicals unless I have to go out early. Then gonna have a complete career change and be a stay at home mom with new baby, 11 yo, and 6 yo!!
  • I'm a nanny so I plan to work up until a week before my due date which is May 19 and take 3 months off in the summer then get a part time nanny job in the Fall that allows me to bring my 3 month old.
  • Are you ladies picking your own last day? I'm asking because my job is requiring me to work until labor unless the doctor signs a paper saying I can't do my job. Do doctors usually approve these thing easily if you are just that uncomfortable? FTM here
  • I am in PA and have been with my company 7 years so that is long enough that they offer me 100% pay for the 8 weeks I will be off due to my c-section. I am planning on taking the full 12 weeks of FMLA so that means I will probably take 4 weeks unpaid. I could use some vacation time but I would rather save that to take around the holidays. Though I think I am going to take 2 days off before my c-section which will be sometime during the last week of May.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Where i live ican start my fully paid 3 months maternity leave once i hit the 9 months mark which is 3 april, but i plan on going to work until the very last day, i'm sure i'll need the time off more ehen the baby is here
  • My due date is May 22nd. I'm a teacher and was originally planning on working until my due date, but decided to take off a week early because I have enough leave saved up and honestly Kindergarten is exhausting enough as it is without being humongous and pregnant! So my last day will be May 15th (unless I go into labor before then!) 

Us: Me (27) Hubby (27) Married since 7/24/10

BFP #1: 10/30/2007    DS born 06/20/2008

BFP#2 09/11/2014      DD born 05/01/2015

• I am employed by a shipbuilding company as a sheet metal worker. I'm not due until May 13, but next week will be my last. I wanted to stay longer, but between climbing up and down a huge ship all day on tiny stairs, climbing ladders all day, lifting constantly, and working on my feet all day in the elements, I think it's fair to go ahead and drag up. Lol. I also haven't been here a year yet, so I will get an unpaid leave, as I do not qualify for FMLA. Sucks, but at least I get almost as long as I want. I also refuse to go into labor out here an hour from my hospital. I will not be birthing a ship-baby. Haha! Good luck ladies, and everyone hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"