October 2015 Moms
Options

weening off antidepressants

roxytadpoleroxytadpole member
edited February 2015 in October 2015 Moms
i am 5w2d and weening off 2 medications for depression/anxiety. i will be clear by 6w but am sooo nervous about how it could effect the baby, as well, im concerned my moodiness will be really bad too! anyone else going through this?

Re: weening off antidepressants

• Options
    My dr said that as long as I'm off by 6 months it should be fine! I'm also very nervous about going off... I'd love to hear how others were able to cope after going off...
  • Options
    i was weaning while we were ttc and finished just a couple weeks into this pregnancy. this is an arena where everyone is sooo different but i did fine! i had huge relief during my first preg due to happy hormones and it seems to be true this time too ( fingers crossed!) as long as you are in close contact with your dr you will be good. good luck!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    heytallmamaheytallmama member
    edited February 2015
    I was on Zoloft for anxiety + depression. and managed to get off of it before TTC. I started doing a LOT of yoga and long runs to give myself space to clear my head. Finding someone to talk to also helped in lieu of medicine. Good luck and take each day at a time!!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I have been on pristiq for 6 months now, and out of fear for my baby, I just quit taking it cold turkey (yes I know it's bad!) I did let my doctor know that that was my intention and he gave me the go ahead. I have been off for a week and a half now, and I'm doing alright :) I just hope I get filled with happy hormones instead!
  • Options
    Not sure if you guys know this, but there are safe medications for pregnancy. Zoloft is one of them. I get that you may choose to not take anything anyway, but I just wanted to tell you in case you didn't know.
    I am currently recovering from PPD (have an 8 mth old) and although I'm not on meds I have learned a lot about recently through my support group and psychologist. I've been told that the anxiety/depression can have a worse effect than the meds on the baby. Good luck!
  • Options
    I had a preconception appointment with my dr. before going we started trying. I have been on Zoloft for a couple of years now. My doctor's opinion was very reasonable: she said that the risk of going off the pill and falling into depression, particularly postpartum, can be much more severe than any risk associated with staying on Zoloft through pregnancy (there is no known risk with this medicine). I am staying on my relatively low dosage because I know I need it. With the hormones, I am already feeling out of sorts and can't imagine where I would be without it. 

Everyone is different, and your need for the drug may be different. Definitely a conversation to have with your doctor before trying to ween off on your own, though. 
  • Options
    Yup, I researched this before TTC and switched to a safer medication. I need to go have a chat with my doctor now that I am pregnant to see if it should be changed to anything else (I'm on a class C right now). I take it for anxiety, and I'm on the lowest dosage available, but wacky hormones and lack of sleep can still trigger issues for me. 
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga
  • Options
    I'm on one right now, a relatively low dose. I've been taking it since I found out a week ago (I'm about 5.5 weeks now) and will talk to my OB at my first appointment this week.
  • Options
    @roxytadpole‌ try and maybe speak to you dr as there are antidepressant that are safe during pregnancy. Also all the extra hormones aren't also very compatible with minimising depressive symptoms so it might be a better alternative than coming off them completely. Just a thought

Sin xx
  • Options
    Yes! It's just really important to know your needs and how important it is for you to stay on or go off your meds. Talk it over with your dr. I'd hate to see anyone in the position I have been in for the last 8 mths. PPD is a serious issue that I wish no one had to suffer with. I had no risk factors prior, but keep in kind that they definitely mean something.
    Sorry to be such a downer!
  • Options
    this is all very helpful. i was on a class d and c and my doctor started to ween me off before i conceived. my nirvana world was to of course be 'clean' about my pregnancy and i suppose i wouldnt mind 'suffering' a little bit for the sake of the health of the baby. thats my biggest concern. i work with a lot of children w ADD or ADHD or on the spectrum and im not gonna sugar coat anything when i say im terrified.
  • Options
    I'm 5 weeks along and on Cymbalta. I'm scared it's affecting the baby. My first Dr appt is at 8 weeks and he said we can discuss the risks then. Does this mean I shouldn't be worried???
  • Options
    @roxytadpole‌ I totally understand where you are coming from. I am the type of person that avoids meds I'm general if I can live without them. I never even took a Tylenol during my last pregnancy. You just have to weigh your option. Good luck!
  • Options
    @mlobrummond‌ if he didn't tell you to wean or take you right of I guess you shouldn't be. I would probably be freaking out, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"