May 2015 Moms

To wash or not to wash newborn clothes

Hi bumpies!

Hope you all are doing well! As I prepare my hospital bag today one friend says to wash all newborn clothing and the other says it's not necessary. What are your thoughts?

Re: To wash or not to wash newborn clothes

• You have no idea what atmosphere they've been in, from factory to shop. You also don't know what chemicals they were treated in.

I will be washing them for sure!
  • Lurker here! I would def wash all newborn clothing! If you have bought new clothes you get out all left over chemical that might still be in them from the production when washing and if it's hand-me-downs you want to make sure they are really clean. Also the skin of a newborn is very sensitive so washing with a fragrance free deteregent is said to be best and good for preventing asthma and allergies.
  • Loading the player...
  • we will definitely be washing. the L&D nurse at our childbirth class said its recommended because of the sensitivity of the baby's skin
  • I'll be washing before.
  • Yes yes yes always was new or used clothes!!
  • Of course if you plan on keeping all the clothes I would wash them. If you're worried that you may have a big baby then only wash a few outfits but keep tags on the rest so you can return and exchange sizes if needed when baby is born.
  • Yes wash them!! I even wash everything I get new from a store for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• If there is even the slightest possibly of your little bundle being big I would not wash them. At least not all of them. My son ended up being 10lb 6oz and never wore a single one of his newborn clothes. The hospital even had to search for bigger diapers while we were there. If your doc is expecting baby to be average then definitely wash them.
  • I will be washing everything my baby wears first. However, I will only be washing a few outfits before she is born because I don't know how big she will be and what size she'll fit into when we bring her home. 
  • Washing everything in baby detergent of some kind. We have a history of skin allergies - just being cautious.
  • lola2bee said:

Washing everything in baby detergent of some kind. We have a history of skin allergies - just being cautious.

The baby detergents notoriously have a lot of scents and additives. I would just use a regular free and clear detergent.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• lola2bee said:

Washing everything in baby detergent of some kind. We have a history of skin allergies - just being cautious.

The baby detergents notoriously have a lot of scents and additives. I would just use a regular free and clear detergent.
    Yes I know that. I meant the baby free and clear version not the regular ones. Should have been more specific.
  • Yes, wash them. DD is 16 mos and I still wash everything before she wears it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Franco Paul born 6/4/15 at 39 weeks.  Mila Francesca born 10/19/13 at 37 weeks.  Both born via C-Section after 6 years of fertility treatments, disappointments and losses. Love them!!

• I agree to wash all clothes.

I'm even thinking about washing the car seat fabric. Is that going too far?
  • Wash!
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • cmackay05 said:

I agree to wash all clothes.

I'm even thinking about washing the car seat fabric. Is that going too far?

Just make sure you follow the manual's instructions for cleaning and DO NOT wash the harness straps.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• @cmackay05 washing the car seat cover is probably not necessary. But if you really want to I don't think it would hurt. OP Definitely wash all clothes before. 
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • What I would do is wash just what you need for the first few days, then save the rest just in case...wash as you need it bc that way you can return or regift if baby is too big for the clothes.
  • Personally, I would wait to see how big the baby is. Pack a newborn outfit and a bigger outfit for the hospital, both of which washed, but wait till you see how big he/she is before washing the rest of the newborn. You don't want to wash them all and not be able to return them if the baby isn't gonna wear newborn.
  • I wash everything, clothes and blankets, with free and clear detergent before baby uses them
  • I'm planning on washing everything - clothing, bedding, etc.

How far in advance do you think items should be washed?  I'd like to start organizing everything, but didn't want to put it all up just to take down again to wash it.
    Newest blog post 4/23/15
    Anniversary

• Wash wash wash :-) some clothing companies use scary chemicals in their clothing dye colors to keep them bright.
  • If you still have the tags on I wouldn't wash all of them.  There is a chance your baby won't even fit into newborn size when they come home.  If you take off all the tags and wash them all you can't return them.  For DD We have very little newborn clothes just in case.  It turns out we had to buy a few more sleepers because she was in newborn for about 3 weeks, but I know other friends whose babies wore 0-3 right from the start skipping over newborn.
  • I'll wash them :)
  • I wash anything new for anyone in the house, I assumed that was standard procedure.

And as far as washing prior because of sizing, I only washed 2 newborn outfits. In fact, I only kept two and returned everything else. DDs were 8 and 9 lbs and could wear newborn for about two weeks but we just went to bigger sizes anyway.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• AntingAnting member
    edited February 2015
    Thank you so much for all the posts! I will def wash before use
  • Does anyone use fabric softeners? Any recommendations?
  • I would never put anything on my child without washing first. 2nd I didn't buy that many newborn clothes that I would have to worry about returning, and if needed I can always buy more. My son is 14 months and I still wash everything before he put it on. Wash, Wash Wash them!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"