August 2015 Moms

Pregnancy Rhinitis / Post Nasal Drip

Hi, I have been suffering from pregnancy rhinitis with post nasal drip for about 8 weeks now. I hear that it is likely to last the entire pregnancy and a few weeks beyond. It is making my life a living hell but no one else I know had this when they were pregnant so it's making me feel quite alone. Runny nose I can handle no problem, but having to ' hok' then cough up mucus every few minutes is really wearing me down and making any social visits and long meetings at work a nightmare. Is there anyone else out there who currently has this?? I just try to keep thinking about the rewards at the end, but it's making me dread leaving the house every day.
Sorry for the essay ladies!

Re: Pregnancy Rhinitis / Post Nasal Drip

• I am experiencing the same problem. Mine is so bad that I am constantly gagging and dry heaving from it. By the end if the day my stomach is so full of mucus that I often vomit from it. You are not alone! I am miserable too and can't enjoy being pregnant or the excitement that comes after because I feel so lousy all the time!

I told my doc on Friday and he was so unhelpful. He acted like no one ever had this problem before, which I know is not true. He said I could use benedryl (which I did yesterday but it made me too sleepy to function) or sudafed. I might try sudafed when I go to work tomorrow and see if that gives me some relief. I've also been using a netti pot a few times a day, which works for about an hour or so. Also try a humidifier. Strong cough drops help me at work to break up the phlegm too. Unfortunately, none of these ideas work great, but are worth trying.

Hang in there....I feel your pain!
  • Have either of you tried using a Neti pot?
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm in the same boat! But also experiencing bloody noses, sinus headaches and an extremely dry throat in addition to a plethora of mucas. Go figure! Neti pot 2xs a day, saline spray, humidifier at night, Benedryl occasionally. What I wouldn't give for a sweet sweet decongestant!
  • Last pregnancy my doc okayed afrin, but I was further along. I don't know if I would use it this early since the rebound congestion can be so bad (at least mine always is). If you don't get that, then I would use a nose spray at night. Right now I'm using several pillows to keep my head propped to try and stay from using afrin this soon.
    Good luck, it sucks so bad.

• I didn't have it with DD but it's BAD this time. I already have normal allergies this time of year but this just pushes me of the edge
  • Me! Post nasal drip and pretty terrible congestion. I have no advice, I didn't have this with my last pregnancy. Just sending sympathy hugs!
  • I'm not really congested, but I can feel a glob of stuff hanging out where my nose connects with my throat.  It's stupid annoying and makes my daily sinus headache worse :(  I'm going to try some saline spray tomorrow to see if it can loosen anything up.  This is the pits!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 30   DH: 32   
    TFAS since May 2013
    8/14 - Bloodwork showed heterozygous MTHFR gene mutation and elevated AMH (but no cysts)
    9/14 - HSG, Hysteroscopy and laparoscopy showed tubes clear, but found and removed Endometriosis, scar tissue and 2 small benign masses on my tubes.
    11/14 - Daily ultrasounds confirmed that my follicles are not releasing the egg and every other day blood draws showed very low progesterone... DH's SA was near perfect
    12/14 - moving onto meds!!! Hold up!!!  Surprise BFP after only taking the progesterone!  Now what do I do with all of the other meds we already paid for?!  Due at the end of August 2015 Beta#1- 4434 @ 22DPO  Beta#2 - 7335 @ 25DPO Beta #3 - 14429  @ 28DPO
  • dev85dev85 member
    edited February 2015
    I do not really have the post nasal drip but definitely would love a decongestant or a nasal spray other than saline! The sinus headaches are the worst. Tylenol doesn't help the headache and neither benadryl or sudafed help the rhinitis. Tried a humididfier but it didn't help. I've been occasionally using the netti pot but it pretty much just makes me sneeze and then I still can't breathe through my nose :( I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any other ideas?
  • Try peppermint oil. Don't put it directly on your skin. Use a carrier oil. Put on your temples, right above your eyebrows and on the back of your neck. Also works really well for regular old headaches
  • It's terrible. I'm using saline spray, a humidifier, taking benedryl when it's bad and allergy meds daily. I'm going to pick up a neti pot today and I ordered some EO's to hopefully help with it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @KMBC2552‌ if you have a vitamin shoppe near you, my-grastick is amazing. Cleared up a nasty migraine and did wonders for my sinuses. Only $10 for the roller ball. If you order- make sure you get therapudic grade oils.
  • I didn't have it with DS, but have had it for about 8 weeks now. I have found using a neti-rinse/pot am/pm and humidifier at night to be very helpful!
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've had it for both my pregnancies and it's terrible. I am constantly being asked if I have a cold... And I just reply, nope, this is just my life for the next six months. It's miserable. I've tried Neti pot, saline spray, humidifier, and I use Benadryl regularly. Nothing really fixes it.
  • Going through this now. I made ginger tea to see if that helps. I am going to try the saline spray. It's worse at night. I have seasonal allergies, so I am not looking forward to the spring.
  • Me too!!! I use peppermint oil but not with carrier oil, then I use lemon and lavender. Also, I have humidifier and saline spray :) I can't use Neti pot because with me if I have a sinus infection or inflammation then I can't use or it will worsen the issue.
  • I have so much snot that I blow my nose for 4 hours straight every morning. It is insane. I can't wait for it to stop! I haven't had any other pregnancy symptoms so I should be ecstatic this is it, but it is annoying!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've been going through this since 6 weeks! I'm 17 now. My doctor actually put me on amoxicillin a few weeks ago because it got so bad and became a severe sinus infection and double ear infection. It went away for about a week and now it's back! I've been taking sudafed but that's about it. I feel ya! :(
  • Mine gets pretty bad at night, and the new fun thing is that I wake up in the middle of the night and have an intense sneezing fit! Like 8-10 of the most intense full body sneezes ever. So weird.
  • Rhinocort Aqua (available OTC) is the first pregnancy class B nasal spray. Maybe that would help! The little bit of steroid might help with inflammation.
  • lbrmama said:
    Mine gets pretty bad at night, and the new fun thing is that I wake up in the middle of the night and have an intense sneezing fit! Like 8-10 of the most intense full body sneezes ever. So weird.
    YES. This has been happening the past couple nights. I keep waking my husband up with my sneezing fits and then I have trouble getting back to sleep.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I've had congestion, runny nose, and dry throat since week 7/8 (15w now), and it's quite annoying. Granted it's really the only symptom I've had, so I'm not complaining too much. Overnight is much worse than during the day, but because of having a history of seasonal allergies, I adapted quickly. I now sleep with at least 2 pillows, sometimes up to 4 if I'm completely stuffed up. Also before bed, I put Tiger Balm on the bottoms of my feet and on my chest. During the day I am constantly blowing my nose and drinking water (trying to clear my throat by swallowing instead of coughing 24/7). I use doTerra's peppermint essential oil, but not topically; I hold the open bottle beneath my nose (when I can get a little air through) and inhale until my nose is cleared (works instantly!). My eyes have been "goopy" lately as well because of the increased mucus, so I have been using contact solution to re-wet my contacts and rinse off my eyes a few times a day. I'm definitely not looking forward to my regular allergy season (March-September) piled on to this!   I hope some of this helps people!
  • I blow my nose about two hundred times a day plus I have to keep a cup in my car to spit in because I spit up so much mucus and don't wanna swallow it. I'm stuffed up but have a runny nose at the same time. It's so gross.
  • Yes, it got so bad that I made an ENT appointment. Doctor confirmed it was definitely the hormones and prescribed rhinocort for the second trimester. I use a humidifier, tried neti pot which inflamed it worse, tried Claritin which did not help, most of my problem is the inflammation! I felt some relief by eating some ice cream and letting it melt in the back of my mouth. The cold definitely helps the swelling!
  • Thanks for all the thoughts ladies :) It is nice to know I'm not alone in this symptom. Sending you all hugs, I feel your pain! x
  • I wish i had a runny nose. The stuffy nose is horrible and it would wake me up every night. A humidifier never worked for me and neither did propping my head up do now I use saline during the day and one squirting of afrin every night before bed and so far it has done wonders. I can actually sleep at night. And they baby is very healthy. :)
  • I'm pregnant with my first and I can totally relate! I have been SO congested it's practically unbearable! I have found that a saline spray works wonders! I definitely have to use it more than I would prefer (OB ok'd it but asking again next week) but it tends to do the trick! I'm in the desert so maybe a humidifier might be on my list soon too...hope the spray works for someone else out there! Feel like I can somewhat function again!
  • ABPBABPB member
    Update: saw my ob last week and told her of my plight. She said now that I'm in the 2nd trimester it's safe to take mucinex or mucinex d. Sweet relief!
  • Be careful with afrin, can contain phenylephrine and can shunt blood away from the placenta. Dries up your nose but can raise your blood pressure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"