Babies on the Brain

Book Rec for Explaining Death to Preschoolers

Does anyone have any books that they know of that were helpful in explaining death to a 3yo?  My sister's MIL is dying of cancer, possibly in the next week or so according to her nurse.  My sister is struggling with how to explain it to her 3yo.  He's old enough to understand that Grandma is sick and he'll obviously notice when she's gone.  He loves books, just like his mommy, so she thought that might be helpful.  I remember we had The Tenth Good Thing About Barney as kids, but at his age, I don't think he'll get the connection between a book about a cat.

TIA
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
an asshole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer."

Re: Book Rec for Explaining Death to Preschoolers

• Or today.  Just got the call. :(

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn, the clean, cool chill of the holiday air,
  • I don't have any personal recs, but this list looks pretty good. Hopefully you'll find something that helps. https://childrensbooksguide.com/death
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry I don't have anything. With Allie we were just honest. We explained everything that happened to GFaiL. We let her take the lead and ask questions.

It's funny now, but not then story. A was in gymnastics and had just learned bars. She was walking around the casket while H and I were greeting people. I look over and she is trying to flip on the bar attached to the casket I was mortified. Everyone thought it was funny, but H and I. Thank god she was barely 4. GMIL still tells people the story.
  • That sounds like something my sister would have done.  EVERYTHING was monkey bars to her at that age.  I would have been mortified too.

Thank you guys for the ideas.  I'll pass that list to my sister.

• Sorry to hear. Check out Sesame Street. They have some information about talking to children about death. Here is the link:

Good Luck.
  • Thank you for the Sesame Street suggestion.  I remember when Mr. Hooper died when I was a kid.  I can't believe I didn't think of that.

• There's a book called Lifetimes that is supposed to be good, talks about plants and animals and then goes into humans. I've never read it but my friend who works at a hospice recommended it.

• paigeedpaigeed member
    edited March 2015
    When I was younger we had the book called The Fall of Freddie The Leaf. It explained it amazingly in reference to fall leaves. It talked about the emotions his friends were feeling and how he himself felt. Hope this helps!

I found a link to Barnes and Noble https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-fall-of-freddie-the-leaf-leo-f-buscaglia/1116851365?ean=9780943432892
    Me (26) DH (28)
    Married 6.22.13
    Hoping for a Herd Linky
    4/15--TTC #1
    12/15--IF testing
    3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
    Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
    4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
    Cancelled-no response
    5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
    No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
    septate uterus.
    6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
    Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
    Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
    Chart Stalk Me

• Thank you guys

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"