October 2015 Moms
Options

When are you telling your family?

chefswife27chefswife27 member
edited February 2015 in October 2015 Moms
OK, I'm only 4 weeks pregnant (due October 29), but I am totally chomping at the bit to tell my family and close friends that I'm pregnant!.  I know I should wait to make the news public, and I want to do that for people with whom I'm not super close, but, when are you ladies telling your family (parents, grandparents, siblings, etc.)? I don't know if I'll be able to wait until the first trimester is over, let alone until my 8 week ultrasound.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: When are you telling your family?

• Options
    Our best friends alewady know. We are telling the parents after the 12week scan :)
  • Options
    My 3 best girlfriends know, but we are waiting until 3/17 (about 10 weeks) to tell parents and siblings. Won't tell "general public" until 12 weeks or more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have the first ultrasound scheduled at 9 weeks, and we'll probably go public shortly after that. I want to hear the heartbeat first.
    DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• Options
    With our first, we told one set of parents at 6 weeks (because they were headed out of the country) and the rest after the 8 week check. This time, our "8 week" appointment was really at 6 weeks and we've told all of our parents/siblings. We'll be telling close friends after the 8 week check next week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We finally told my parents last night at 5weeks once we got blood work back and HCG levels were good. We don't have an ultrasound for another two weeks but feel we wanted to celebrate the joy of this life God has brought us at any capacity! There is still the possibility something could happen after the first trimester so we are never really fully in the clear until the baby arrives. I am glad we shared as everyone has been praying and is very supportive and excited! Plus a huge weight was lifted off me and now I don't feel like I'm lying or keeping a secret anymore!
  • Options
    I so far have only told my sister because I needed advice on what I should be doing and then DH told his parents.  If my mom were alive I would have told her immediately!  I'm waiting to tell the rest of my family after our first appointment next week (this will be my parent's 13th grandchild so they are over it already) and my boss.   Since I know I will be getting an underwhelming response from my family I cannot wait to tell our friends because I know they will be shocked and happy!  We are doing that on St Pat's Day!   Cannot wait to spread the news!

• Options
    @casserole27: that is hilarious!!  I have a similar sense of humor.

I've told a few close girlfriends, but only because they were the only ones who knew we were trying. 

Trying to think of creative ways to tell our families so I get more excited about the actual reveal. Hopefully I won't spill the beans earlier than our 8 week ultrasound, haha.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    After 4 years of trying and insisting I wouldn't say anything until after 12 weeks, we ended up telling my parents at 5 weeks and the rest of our immediate family at 6 weeks. I was really going to hold strong on waiting til 12 weeks, but my husband travels for work, leaving me alone most of the time. So he wanted a network of people I could rely on, just in case something happened and he wasn't home. We are holding off on most friends (my best friend of 20 years knows), extended family, Facebook, etc until 12 weeks though. This Saturday is 8 weeks and he is telling his coworkers Monday, just in case he would have to rush home from out of town to get to me.
  • Options
    I told my husbands mom (she is a nurse and lives locally) and my mom (she was in town on business but lives hours away and I wanted to tell her in person). I swore both of them to secrecy, even from our dads! I also had to tell my yoga instructor so she could modify for me during class, ha!
  • Options
    We have told both sets of parents, my sisters and his sister and then my Aunts! It's too hard not to share the exciting news with close family! We are waiting to tell our 6 year old until after our 12 week check up, right now she just think I'm tired and sick which is why I'm sleeping a lot more
  • Options
    We've told both sets of parents, and all of our siblings.  We've both told a lot of coworkers, and I've told my boss (I have the best boss ever, and she was super excited).  We've been trying for nearly 3 years, so when it finally happened, we pretty much told everyone haha.  We aren't going to make it "facebook official" until closer to 12 weeks, though.
  • Options
    With our first, we waited until the second tri to tell anyone. But I was so surprised by this pregnancy that I told everyone close to me. If anything negative should happen, I know I'll have support.
  • Options
    We are waiting until easter to tell imediately family (I'll be 13 weeks) then filtering down to extended family, close friends, Facebook after that. I had a miscarriage last summer right after I told my family early because we were visiting them from out of state. It was hard to have to turn around and say Nevermind.

Rachel and Jeff Married 5.29.05

Jason is 8

Elizabeth is 6

Katherine is 18 months 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    We're telling our parents after my first appointment in two weeks. I've already told two of my closest friends, but we won't make it "public" until closer to the 12 week mark! It's the hardest secret to keep!

imageimage

O'15 September Siggy Challenge -- Third Trimester Woes
  • Options
    Hey! I am 6 Weeks and have really strong morning sickness and just look and feel bad. It is our first and we would like to wait for 12th week to tell. So at this point i am lying to everyone...
  • Options
    I'm due the 27th October & only my mum & best friends no! I have two previous daughters and told everyone at 6 weeks with those but waiting this time as everyone else things my youngest daughter is our last so when they get a picture of our daughters holding a board reviling our mummy is having a baby it will be a lovely big surprise
  • Options
    We are due October 19! I told my sister and my best friend as soon as I found out and my husband told his best friend. My sister in law is also pregnant and having her baby shower on March 7th, so we are going to wait until after that to tell our immediate families so we don't steal any of her thunder :). we are going to wait to make it public and tell extended family until after 12 weeks. This is our first pregnancy, so we are both nervous!!!
  • Options
    We were going to wait to tell everyone after the first trimester but we had a rough start with some bleeding and several trips to the er, one that I had to leave work early for so I had to tell a couple people at work. Word spreads like wildfire around there and now some people know that we didn't want to know yet due to them knowing our families so we have to spill the beans earlier than planned so our families don't find out "through the grapevine". So tonight, we're meeting my mom, her boyfriend, and my sister for supper and telling them and slowly working our way around to the rest of the family from there.
  • Options
    My appt is March 2nd so I'm waiting until then to tell them. I also need to to plan a cute way to tell them. Maybe a big bro shirt for my son or something with the ultrasound picture.

I told our parents at about 6 weeks last time, but I'm still in shock right now so I'm keeping it quiet and letting it sink in.
    For my extended family, my cousin has been trying to get pregnant since September so I'm holding off until Easter maybe in the hopes that she may have the chance to announce first. I'm really worried she'll be upset.

Tell everyone when you're ready! You don't have to follow first trimester rules if you don't want to. Do what right for you!
  • Options
    My first appointment is on Friday the 27th. Two days later we are taking the girls to Disney. My MIL is coming along to help. I bought these adorable custom t-shirts (on Etsy) that say "I have a secret" on the front and "Alexis is going to be a big sister" and "Hayden is going to be a big sister again" on the back. They have Minnie mouse on them to go with the "theme" since we'll be telling her in Disney! (Well more like the resort, but you get the point ) =-)I'll be 9.5 weeks. Everyone else I'll tell at the end of March when I'm 12 weeks.

J+E ~ 08/25/2007   DD#1 ~ 05/11/2010   DD#2 ~ 09/25/2013   DD#3 ~ 06/09/2016   Baby #4 Due ~ 01/16/2023

• Options
    It's been about a week and a half since we found out I'm preggers and it's our first kid so the whole when to tell thing feels huge! 

My family has been bugging us for years to have a baby-- I'm 30 and he's 37-- but the didn't even know we were trying. Ideally, I'd like to wait until after our ultrasound in early March, but we just found out that in addition to the baby we're moving to Texas from California--in just a few weeks. Since we both want to tell the parents in person, this pushes up our timeline big time and we're telling my Mom and Step-dad tonight. Tomorrow is my Mom's birthday so I'm bringing a cake over that says "Happy Birthday, Grandma-to-be." 
    Here's hoping they all aren't mad at us for taking their grandchild three states away :/

We'll tell other family and friends in the coming weeks. I just can't wait until after first trimester to tell those closest to me because they're the first ones I'd call should something tragic happen. I will however like to keep it off social media as long as possible because that's mainly filled with "semi-friends" and colleagues/acquaintances who are key to my work. 
  • Options
    We told our family the day I got the positive test! I was just too excited to keep it a secret. I also told a couple close friends a few days later. If I were to miscarry, I would want the people close to me to know. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
  • Options
    We told everyone as soon as the first trimester was over for my first pregnancy, but then it almost made my pregnancy seem longer! Haha. This time we'll still tell parents early on but we want to wait for the big reveal until we find out the gender :)
  • Options
    I found out 2 weeks ago and I'm biting my tongue. I'm waiting for the first appointment when they take blood work to confirm but that's a week from now.
    The day we found out my dad and sister teased me that I'm pregnant because I was eating pickles and I had to lie. Ugh it was killing me! And my mom had this chat with me how she told her mom immediately. And I was sitting there feeling guilty.

Idk, maybe they all figured it out and I'm waiting for nothing...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just found out on Sunday....due 10/29. We are thrilled but plan to keep it to ourselves for a while. It's our third baby, plus we are potentially moving, and there's a big family wedding coming up in May. Maybe at our 8 week appt?
  • Options
    This is our first pregnancy so I only wanted a couple people to know but the husband told his parents and siblings. Everyone is really happy for us so it is a positive experience so far. Found out today that I am 5 weeks from my blood work results. ultrasound to be booked in two weeks.
  • Options
    Yay! We have the same due date! I'm hoping to hold out until Halloween, but this is number 3 and our other babies each decided to come two weeks early!
    Since I can't keep a secret, I have told all of my closest friends! We love away from our family and my parents are coming to visit this week. There's a website called photoboother and we're making a photo booth strip with each of us holding a number then me holding a 5 by my belly. It's also their anniversary, so I'm laminating it and wrapping it as a present for them. We'll be giving it to them this week (5 weeks). We'll tell the rest of our family and the public after my first appt!

Good luck with baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going in for my first appointment next Wednesday, I've wanted to hold off telling anyone til the second trimester, but ive told my two best friends! I'm just so excited! I'm planning on telling my family (parents and sibling) next Saturday, but I keep second guessing myself!!!!
  • Options
    We are five weeks so just told my parents as we love in Kenya and we won't be back to the UK to see family until 13 weeks and I won't be able to make it that long. We are telling DH's parents in 4 weeks when they come out to see us. We are planning to hold a sign up at the airport when they come through the arrivals gate, saying ''you're going to be grandparents.' Is that too cringe?!
  • Options
    The grandparents and closest friends know. We are doing a family pregnancy reveal photo shoot at 9 weeks and will make public sometime after that once we get our photo from the session back.
  • Options
    Hey Chefswife we are due date twins I am telling my family in April....Best of Luck to you and your growing family :smile:
  • Options
    We told our parents and siblings at 5 weeks. We are waitung to tell all other family and friends more around 10-12weeks.
  • Options
    We told our parents immediately. My two best friends knew that day because my line was so faint I sent them a picture haha we will tell the world at 12 or so weeks. I couldn't keep joy in even though I know it's risky, but I want to celebrate every little moment.
  • Options
    We told our parents and siblings right away, but we are going to wait until the 2nd trimester to tell everyone.
  • Options

My two best friends knew right away because I got a faint line last Thursday and sent them a pic, lol!  My mother's 60th birthday is this coming Sunday, so we plan to tell my parents after her surprise party.  My husbands parents will be at the party as well but we will break to them afterwards as well, when we can get them alone, and then swear everyone to secrecy until we are ready to tell everyone after 12wks. I have my doctor appointment in 3wks. but didn't want to wait that long especially with my mom's birthday right around the corner.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers     

BabyFetus Ticker 

• Options
    My MIL was out for a visit the day I got the positive so DH told her right away. Since she knew I told my parents and I also told one of my mommy friends. Mostly because her son was born when my LO is due so I wanted to share. I'm waiting until after 12 weeks for everyone else.
  • Options
    I told my 3 best friends and DF. We will probably tell his family around 12 weeks and my family the next time we see them after 12 weeks.

We'll make a FB announcement when we find out the gender
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"