Parenting after 35

Job Loss

Hello all, I know I've been absent for awhile. I lost my job 2 weeks ago and the cacophony of bs that comes with that is really amazing. We have a lawyer friend looking into the circumstances given the nature of how I was let go and the fact that HR was never involved given it was an "attitude problem" directed from an unknown source. The thing I really need to ask advice on is about medical care. I signed up for Medicaid through my state heathcare site and am now finding that I won't have access to appointments for another 6 to 8 weeks. I don't think it's wise for me to go without three prenatal check ups at my age and with the low thyroid issue looming over the baby. I have calls into Medicaid itself, Social Services and some random Maryland doctor's association. Is there any other resources I should look into to make sure I don't miss another appointment?
I thank you all for any information you can point me towards.
*bfp mentioned*
Me: 38. Diagnosed PCOs 09, took 'em long enough. Low Thyroid 13.
SO: 41. Diabetic. We are not married yet in the legal sense. 
Together since Feb 09. TTC since Jan 11.
6 Clomid cycles. Mostly BFN one BFP but chemical Aug 12.
IUI #1-3 Menopur and Ovidrel BFN. 
IUI #4 Gonal-F and Ovidrel BFN.
IUI #5 Gonal-F and Ovidrel BFP 9/15 
Maternit21 all clear and a boy!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Job Loss

• Sorry Ladies, the new format got me. I meant to post this in Pregnant after 35. I apologize.
    *bfp mentioned*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No worries!  Sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now.  Granted I don't know any history, other than what you posted but would you be able to Cobra your benefits through your former employer?  It could get you over the hump before your other benefits kick in?  Just a thought.  Again, I don't know the situation but good luck.  

We welcome all! Hope to see you around after you have your baby!!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I can only sign up for Cobra for a six month period and that would be just over $2000. They offer no other option just the full tilt plan and my own cost, separate from the group rate. Not really an expenditure I can make out of a job. I have a few more leads to check out, I just wanted to make sure there weren't corners I hadn't looked in yet. Thanks for the understanding.
    *bfp mentioned*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Go with the COBRA plan as it may be more expensive on the outset but the long term it's going to be cheaper (L&D alone is $$$$$ and if you end up with a complication at some point in the PG it's even more $$$$ - really this is something you need to think about with the TSH issues!!!)..  Otherwise I really wouldn't get too worked up about paying the OOP for prenatal visits and TSH tests.  Tell your OB what is going on and usually they're willing to work with you in the business office (either payment plan or sometimes clinics have assistance available)... 

Most hospitals and clinics are willing to work with you to get your appointments.  Another thing to consider is checking your states employment law in regard to pregnancy.  Some states it's more spelled out but it's not uncommon for women upon announcing for it to be the beginning of the end at that employer.  Consider "good riddens" and move on to a new employer.  For now though,

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"